Rebuild America? Rebuild Iraq?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
85 Billion Dollars is a lot of money! Why are we so eager to spend that money on another country and not here at home? Certainly we could have done something here at home with that money?

What do you think?

85 billion

or 87 billion

or is it more like 160- 200 billion?

Maybe we should make Haliburton the no-bid contractor for rebuilding America.

The GOP has bitched about the Big Dig in Boston for years: a 20 year project that has cost about $15 billion dollars total (I think). It is certainly quite funny about how they spend in Iraq, as a result.

Melon

This state just tried to get a billion dolllars from it citizens to try to make things better, and it was voted down. They don't trust what is being said. I don't know what will turn it around but it has to be more than "trust me" that doesn't fly any longer.

Oh, I trust politicians about as far as I can throw Edinburgh Castle and that's part of the problem on this end--a trust crisis, if you will. I'm not particularly liking this $87 bil request either, however. Will it really help Iraq and Afghanistan or go into corporate pocketbooks? It's always the same question, "where on earth is this money going?" Too often the answers are inadequate.

If Iraqi tanks were in Detroit, Michigan, USA, trying to put in a sewer system. I'd ask them to leave.

U.S.A. GET THE FUCK OUT OT IRAQ. Give our Homeless houses.

Last edited:
87 Billion is the price tag for military operations and reconstruction for both Iraq and Afghanistan for the next year. Of this, 66 Billion dollars is for the cost of military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The rest is for rebuilding. 87 Billion dollars is less than 5% of the federal budget and less than 1% of annual GDP. Adjusting for inflation, it is an even smaller percentage of what the USA spent on the Marshall Plan.

"Why are we so eager to spend that money on another country and not here at home?"

Because the cost of a failed state in Iraq would be too expensive for the USA and the world.

It is far cheaper to rebuild Iraq than to have to fight another war because of Iraqi state failure and the possible implications that could have for international security.

USA out of Iraq. Stop killing the world for Israel. Iraq's oil in not Israel's.

Drop Birth Control not Bombs. Less AIDS babies. More local Porsperity and Education levels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom