Rebels' Commemoration Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I grew up in the rust belt and lived through the era.

The status quo did change for many, some were not willing to adapt.
For the record, I was fortunate to have been young enough to attempt to adapt myself. But telling a bunch of middle aged adults that they have to go back to school--and then not have any of the financial support that exists in Canada and Europe--is an impossible proposition, particularly when you have things like mortgages and families. Merely saying you're for "family values" is meaningless when you treat people like this.

I also think it's a recipe for disaster to assume that only white-collar labor deserves a middle-class lifestyle. Not only is about 3/4 of America "blue collar," but, in the future, we risk creating a lopsided workforce, with too many white-collar laborers compared to the number of jobs, with not enough people willing to do blue-collar jobs. Hence, the allure to hire illegal immigrants will be all the more attractive.

Anyway, I have a habit of looking too far into the future, and since Americans aren't too good at preventative measures (they, instead, prefer to fix problems as they occur), I guess we'll have to wait a generation or two for this to occur.

This is why I don't have a particular affinity for Reagan and supply-side economics. It's too short-sighted and greedy, with no focus on long-term prospects.

Melon

Old 12-11-2005, 12:13 AM   #17
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I also think it's a recipe for disaster to assume that only white-collar labor deserves a middle-class lifestyle. Not only is about 3/4 of America "blue collar," but, in the future, we risk creating a lopsided workforce, with too many white-collar laborers compared to the number of jobs, with not enough people willing to do blue-collar jobs.

I am always floored by how many people dismissively respond to statistics about declining real wages, the terrifying numbers of uninsured, and the struggles workers in the mushrooming low-paid "services" sector face supporting their families with the tired old "Improve yourself and get a better job!" line. It is not as if these sectors are anywhere near small enough to justify classifying them as transitional work and nothing more. By saying this, we are implying that if you hold one of these jobs, then you deserve to be uninsured, you deserve to always live one misfortune away from disaster. The days when there was room in the economy for everyone to reasonably aspire to "move up" to a solid middle-class existence are long-gone.