Reasons why you support the death penalty? (if you do) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2003, 03:52 PM   #16
Purgatory

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Good job it worked.

Volume means nothing if what you're blaring through the speakers is crap. You may get people's attention at first, but then they learn to tune it out.
this is rediculous.

recognizing sarcasm is not one of your stronger points. if you think my post was somehow an attack on you, get over yourself. it was merely an open-ended statement.

Old 03-11-2003, 03:53 PM   #17
Purgatory

in fact, if anyone is insulting anyone its you for calling my statement crap.

maybe i should complain.

Old 03-11-2003, 04:25 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Obviously my attempt at a tongue in cheek jab, failed. My apologies.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:34 PM
I am against murder if it doesn't safe other lives (e.g. self defense), so I am against the death penalty.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:29 PM   #20
Purgatory

we'll just let bygones be bygones, ok?
Old 03-11-2003, 04:37 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Cool.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:54 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Since early 1970's a little over 100 people have been exhonerated from death row, only 12 from DNA results. The average time spent on death row was a little over 8 years. There are no means to measure how many actually have been executed for the legal process stops the day they are executed. But if just one life was lost due to a system's mistake it will never make up for it in the number of those that were guilty of the crime.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:00 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:34 AM
You've had a shocking experience Angela.I remember Anita Cobby.It's is just appalling what happens to the victim and their family. No one can be compensated or relieved of the horror of such acts. I may lean to the idea that execution is too good for them, the ****** should live their lives with their shame. And also that the court system is so open to interpretation and corruption and just general stuff-ups of process, that innocent people can be convicted and true deviates go free or inadequately dealt with. And thirdly the morality of it which is a huge grey area or me. Sorry, undecided, depends on each circumstance I suppose.

I have to go in a sec...but I wanted to mention Andrew Wilkie to you. I won't start a new thread, no time and not that many Aussie's here.
Good on Andrew. I just hear Alexander Downer trying to downplay Wilkie's position in the Office of National Assessment. That guy had to be a lot closer to the truth( and more importantly, proof of the truth, than anyone else). I believe him.
The Prime Minister's Watch Office, they'd have to know.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:34 PM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gickies Gageeze
well a fucker who rapes and kills a four year old girl he abducted deserves a little retribution yes?

maybe 2 months, a slap on the wrist, and if he's demonstrating good behaviour - maybe he can be released earlier?

thats great.

almost as great as the aborting of babies, which is also stellar. nothing controversial or hypocritical there. no sir.
Yes, sorry -this comment is just plain dumb. Ever heard of life imprisonment? The final judgement belongs to God, I would have thought you'd appreciate that.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:36 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:34 PM
no one should ever die. ever. that is the simplest way to sum it up, for me.

no one has presented credible reasons why the death penalty is viable...
Old 03-11-2003, 08:51 PM   #26
Purgatory

its a point of view, and if you want to call it dumb, go right ahead. and while your at it, perhaps someone can get me banned too.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:38 PM   #27
The Fly

I would defend to the death your right to not be banned, dear bear. It was still a dumb comment. Unless it was meant ironically, but unfortunately I'm not a mind reader.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:15 PM   #28
The Fly

I support the death penalty.

Amongst other reasons, I believe my tax dollars can be better spent than on room and board for a first degree murderer.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:55 PM   #29
Purgatory

Quote:
Originally posted by Zedbetty
I would defend to the death your right to not be banned, dear bear. It was still a dumb comment. Unless it was meant ironically, but unfortunately I'm not a mind reader.
dear zedbetty,

my comment does not necessarily reflect my actual stance on the matter - because i dont have one.

on one hand, dear zedbetty, i am outraged at the weakest of punishments being handed out to the darkest of men.

on the other, i too dont want to play God, and the whole "eye-for-an-eye" thing may in fact be outdated. but where do we draw the line and say, this is acceptable punishment?

and yes, i was being sarcastic in some ways. ive had an absolutely shitty day and it would appear that i was very loose with my words.

have a good day, dear zedbetty.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:01 AM   #30
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Kobe there is no credible reason for the death penalty. I dont think there is anyway. However when I look at someone like John Travers, a man who does not know guilt or remorse and is complacent with the way of life in prison, I dont see any punishment dealt for his actions. Death is extreme and wrong, but its about all you can give some people.

Thanks for posting Cass. Im still reading up on Mr Wilkie and the whole saga, the Office of National Assessments is claiming he didn't have access to all this info, but I reckon the senior intellignece officials that AM contacted have to be right. Man, what I would give to see what goes on in the ONA!