RealVoices.org

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
Just wanted to pass along this link. It's a 527 made up of people who lost family members in Iraq. The first ad -- A Mother's Tears -- is gut wrenching.

RealVoices.org
A Mother's Tears

I admit, these ads are more why you shouldn't vote for Bush than why you should vote for Kerry, but they show real people, real faces that both candidates have not shown. And unlike the Swift Boat 527, the people involved in these ads have been DIRECTLY affected by Bush's policies.

Thank you, sharky, for posting the links to this group - I just heard about then on the evening news. :up:

They have EVERY RIGHT to state their point of view and they are much more credible in their criticism of Bush's policies in Iraq than those swift boat veterans ever were!

I hope we hear more about them and fron them as the Presidential elections draw closer - I WANT TO HEAR WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY! :hug:

DEFINITELY TIME FOR REGIME CHANGE....:applaud:

Hmmm...I wonder how long it will take before we hear Dick (Cheney) and his henchman on the campaign trail trying to convince the American people this group of mothers is "un-American, un-Patriotic, and un-grateful" because they are lamenting the loss of their soldier sons and daughters and speaking out against the Bush/Cheney war mongoring that unnecessarily took their lloved ones lives.

Oh, and I'm sure Dick will try to draw a connection between this 527 group and Dan Rather and the Kerry campaign...kind of like the way he continually lies to the American electorate when he blatantly tries to draw connections between Saddam and the 9-11 hijackers when the world knows no such connections existed.

I do not think that denigrating the service of the SBV is called for.

These women have suffered a grievous loss - nobody should be under any illusion about what war is. It is death, it is the antithesis of life - politicizing death, that is never good.

Full quotes and context where Cheny ties Saddam Hussein to the terrorist attacks on September 11. The two are not directly connected, the administration did not say that the regime had any role in planning or carrying out the attacks.

i don't think these women are politicizing death and I don't think the Jersey Girls supporting Kerry is politicizing death. These are people whose lives have been directly affected by the administration and its decisions or lack thereof. If anything, the grief and suffering they have endured has earned them more of a right to speak than you or I.

no, but if their grief makes them speak then don't they have a right to be heard?

I just feel that at this point, the Republicans are pushing this whole "You are with us or you are with the terrorists" thing too far. It's not right. And if you have a family member make the untimate sacrifice for this country, in my opinion you have the right to say so.

I just thought these were interesting because these are not your typical ads and not something that has been covered much in the media. I never saw a parent who lost a son speak out against Bush until I saw F9/11. In fact, we never hear from ANY of these mothers -- or at least vert rarely. Why not?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
is the grief of those who support bush any less than those who support kerry?

of course not. but this particular group supports kerry and they are speaking. are we supposed to not listen?

listen all you want. my point is we shouldn't place more political weight on what they say just because they tragicly lost a loved one. why should i believe this person more than someone who lost a loved one and does support bush? frankly i'd rather not listen to either side and make up my own mind.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
for every mother of a dead soldier or every 9/11 widow who supports kerry, i can produce one who supports bush. :shrug: is the grief of those who support bush any less than those who support kerry?

Which, if true, raises the question of why some politicize their situations.

nbcrusader said:

i dont get it.

mother loses son in iraq war. her emotional connection lends credence to her story in the public eye. if she believes the policies of john kerry are superior than those of george bush, why shouldn't she speak?

we can say 'politicize their situations' or 'express their concern and deep personal connections'.

her voice isn't more valuable than others but because of her personal impact, her voice carries more weight so it will be heard.

like most other nit-picking details of this election, this is about winning-not the truth. both sides want to win.

nbcrusader said:

I have become much more political and active in this year's election because of what happened to me and my city on 9/11. I think it is just a natural reaction to political events in a person's life. Everyday when I walk by Ground Zero, I am reminded of why it is so important for me to vote this year and speak out for those who no longer can.

Some people try to never think about their grief. Some, like me, never want to forget. To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom