Real Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liesje said:
Hehe. I didn't know others thought we take it to the extreme. I guess Wisconsin...I can see it. My husband's grandma is from Wisconsin and when she came for Christmas they told her how much I liked cheese. She was still surprised! My entire extended family has always loved cheese. Maybe it's a Dutch thing or family thing, who knows. We eat cheese like candy bars and even have our own special tools and utensils for properly slicing cheese.

I've never noticed Dutch people eat a lot more cheese than we do at home. :scratch: They do like their bread though.

Lara Mullen said:

I've never noticed Dutch people eat a lot more cheese than we do at home. :scratch: They do like their bread though.

Yeah, I think it might be a local thing. The Dutch here have many jokes about our bread and cheese (and ham buns). My family goes to my grandparents every Sunday and the main cuisine is just white bread with lots of slices of cheese. The sad thing is I can't eat Gouda b/c it makes me really sick.

I think what Lara meant was that cheese is very, very popular everywhere. Australians, for example, eat a lot of it. I personally adore it. Everyone I know loves it. I think the western world in general is very in love with cheese.

Angela Harlem said:
I think what Lara meant was that cheese is very, very popular everywhere. Australians, for example, eat a lot of it. I personally adore it. Everyone I know loves it. I think the western world in general is very in love with cheese.

Yup. We're pretty fond of it too.

I'm also comparing the Dutch with the French and Spanish. The Spanish adored their cheese, we had a shelf full of cheese in our fridge in Spain. Not sliced cheese either, big blocks of the stuff. The Dutch have nothing in comparison to them.

:drool:

Liesje said:

The sad thing is I can't eat Gouda b/c it makes me really sick.

Oh that is sad. Gouda is my favourite.

On the topic of milk -- I do think, like any food, milk is best when it is minimally processed and as close to naturally produced as possible. When I was a kid we used to buy milk directly from a farmer. I would remove most of the heavy cream (it would rise to the top of the bottle) and make butter or caramels (I loved to cook and bake). That stuff made the best butter and caramels. On the rare occasion the cream would sour (I'm generally not a fan of sour cream or sour cream butter) I'd make an awesome sour cream cake.

Once I got past my teen-aged years though I lost the taste for milk to drink and I sure didn't need the calories and fat that milk provided. I do use milk in some things I cook now, but don't use it for drinking and such. I actually prefer soy milk now for cereal and occasional drinking.

indra said:

Oh that is sad. Gouda is my favourite.

On the topic of milk -- I do think, like any food, milk is best when it is minimally processed and as close to naturally produced as possible. When I was a kid we used to buy milk directly from a farmer. I would remove most of the heavy cream (it would rise to the top of the bottle) and make butter or caramels (I loved to cook and bake). That stuff made the best butter and caramels. On the rare occasion the cream would sour (I'm generally not a fan of sour cream or sour cream butter) I'd make an awesome sour cream cake.

Once I got past my teen-aged years though I lost the taste for milk to drink and I sure didn't need the calories and fat that milk provided. I do use milk in some things I cook now, but don't use it for drinking and such. I actually prefer soy milk now for cereal and occasional drinking.

"On the topic of milk -- I do think, like any food, milk is best when it is minimally processed and as close to naturally produced as possible."

Yes

Back
Top Bottom