REAL Faith In Action

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
....is demonstrated by this group of faith-based investors:

Drug Access | Faith-Based Investors To Pressure Drug Companies To Provide Less-Expensive Medications, Including Antiretrovirals
[Mar 29, 2005]

An association of 275 faith-based institutional investors -- who control an estimated $110 billion in assets -- plan to introduce shareholder resolutions at annual meetings of pharmaceutical companies to pressure the companies to provide lower-cost medications, including HIV/AIDS drugs, Long Island Newsday reports. The Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility will call on pharmaceutical companies Abbott Laboratories, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck, Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Wyeth and Gilead Sciences to "analyze the impact" of HIV/AIDS on their business practices, disclose political contributions made with corporate funds, and separate the roles of board chair and CEO to allow for independent oversight, according to Newsday. The Interfaith Center focuses its criticism on the business model of developing a small number of "blockbuster drugs," according to Newsday. According to the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, the industry in 2004 invested about $38.8 billion in research and development and about $4 billion on direct-to-consumer advertising. "They should make sure accessibility to their drugs grows, expanding their customer base," Interfaith Center advocate Margaret Weber said, adding, "Shareholders who depend on the companies' doing well have concerns. From a business standpoint, we are not convinced that the current model is sustainable." Critics of the Interfaith Center's view say that the intention of changing business models is "laudable," but the plan likely would "drag down" performance of investment funds and reduce payments to retirees, Newsday reports (Zehren, Long Island Newsday, 3/27).

-------------------------------------------------------------

We talk a lot about "our faith in action" in this forum, but these people really understand how to make a BIG impact for the best interest of the poor and the sick of our world.

That all "believers" could be so dedicated to living out the commands that Jesus gave us.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:up:

Only God will judge whether my faith is genuine. I've put my health, my financial security, and my entire worldview on the line to get a better grasp on the AIDS problem. I don't have billions in assets to throw at the problem, but I did go to Africa and give a poor, 4 year old AIDS victim named Frank a coloring book and some crayons. :(

Yes, Jamila, that language was a bit strong. It's not fair to suggest that the actions we all do in the ways we're able is somehow less than the action you're talking about.

I understand that may not have been what you meant, but I do believe we have quite a lot of genuinely faithful people here acting on that faith as well as they can.

Oh, good heavens, Jamila, why don't you quit casting stones (unless you are without sin)?

You are fighting the good fight in raising awareness of the African AIDS crisis and encouraging people to take action, but sometimes your methods are divisive. Please remember that many people and many churches are part of the Body of Christ, they each have different gifts and they each symbolize the fruits of the Holy Spirit in different ways, as Paul said. I have told you before that I admire your compassion for the cause; but you will only cause division and resistance in parts of the faith-based community if you continue to do it in such a judgemental way. Some individuals and churches may be doing work to solve the African AIDS crisis in ways that we will never read or hear about in the media because they may choose to do such works anonymously; their work is no less worthy. And their faith is just as "REAL."

~U2Alabama

It would have been nice to see some support for what these people did.

I thought they were quite courageous.

But I suppose that will be misconstrued to be a negative comment too.

Very sad.

What they are doing is BIG.

It is great when anybody does anything.

Big Pharma for the most part seem to be greedy bastards.

I remember in the 70s when investors held Corporations accountable for the support of the South African Companies and Government.

I hope this is the start.

Apartheid was starved to death.

from a solely business point of view, the money that is poured into drug research can be compensated in two ways: a)by selling the drugs at higher prices b) by expanding the customer base, working by economies of scale

you could sell a drug to 10 people with 10 dollar profit margin, or to 100 people with 1 dollar profit margin. it is the essentially the same, since the market is DEFINITELY out there and unfortunately growing. the drug companies should stop bitching about generic drugs and sell drugs at the same prices to compete with those, cause only then they would have a valid argument against patent circumvention. actually, drug companies have better knowledge of drugs and by employing economies of scale and learning effects, they can produce the drugs at lower costs than the generic drug producers.

it does require more effort on their part, but pharmaceuticals are in essence about helping people, saving lives. i cant think of a better marketing campaign for them than 'we saved 1 million lives last year'.

in operational and corporate scales, providing cheap meds DOES make sense. it is possible. there is a way, is there a will?

Jamila said:
It would have been nice to see some support for what these people did.

I thought they were quite courageous.

But I suppose that will be misconstrued to be a negative comment too.

Very sad.

Perhaps you will have better results next time by sharing your excitement and at the same time avoid insulting us. Even now you are insulting us for being offended by your insulting remarks. The story goes – if you can’t say something nice- don’t say anything at all. Don’t post here and accuse us of not having “REAL” faith. You end your initial post with “you need something other”. Do you mean other than us? It’s almost like we argued with you over something before we could open our mouths. The fact is, I bet most people here – like myself – are as excited as you are about the story. You could have easily have seen how we supported what these people did if you made an effort to treat us as people that you would like shared with instead of people that you don’t like. I agree, it is very sad Jamila.

Back
Top Bottom