Reagan funeral picketers were Phelps followers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfeden

Refugee
calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decembe
the people seen "picketing" Reagan's funeral were followers of Fred Phelps, the so-called reverend and propietor of godhatesamerica.com and perhaps more infamously, godhatesfags.com...
apparently Fred can't get over Rock Hudson or something.

somewhere in here is a sick and sad dichotomy, that they do this at the funerals of AIDS victims and then did it to Reagan as well.

:|

Being a conservative does not make a person anti-gay rights. While I would place my standing politically as liberal in the classical sense I think that it is a gross generalization about conservatives to suggest they are mostly aligned with such religious fanatics. Rember self-righteous relgious nuts do no justice to the message of Jesus or Christians.

A_Wanderer said:
Being a conservative does not make a person anti-gay rights. While I would place my standing politically as liberal in the classical sense I think that it is a gross generalization about conservatives to suggest they are mostly aligned with such religious fanatics. Rember self-righteous relgious nuts do no justice to the message of Jesus or Christians.

Agreed. but you have to admit there is a faction of the condervatives that are "anti-gay" and have this notion
still that "AIDS is God's will to get rid of the fags."

A small but fervent group of protesters held signs denouncing Reagan for not condemning homosexuality. "All the expressions of the world are insisting he is in heaven," declared Margie Phelps, 47, who said she was with the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan. "It's too late. He's not in heaven and someone has to say that."

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...,7345926.story?coll=ny-nationalnews-headlines

I hated to do it, I never wanted an address like this to show up on my internet history, but I was curious as to why they would have protested of all people Reagan.

From my research Reagan never had anything nice to say about homosexuals. But I guess this group wanted him to come outright and condemn the homosexual community. It just goes to show you how fucking stupid the hate factor can be. This is the number one issue and concern of this group, not love, not peace, and definatley not sharing Christ's teachings, but hate nothing but pure hate. Their website is one the most disturbing I've been to. It's moments like this where I just bury my head in my hands for a moment and ask what the hell is wrong with this world.

It is a very disturbing and sad website. This is the same group who wanted to erect a statue around the Matthew Shepard (the gay college student who was beaten to death in Wyoming) memorial saying something about how he's burning in hell. I usually try to allow people their beliefs, no matter how foreign they seem to me, but these people are just loony.

Should I find myself near these thugs they may suddenly find their belief and conviction tested and tried as my righteous fists of tolerance shut their noiseholes.

In reality I probably wouldnt resort to violence, I figure that I could tell them about an interracial gay couple who are getting married on a barge at 6:00pm, they would rush onto the barge to protest and then they could be towed a safe distance out to sea, problem solved.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:

I agree. This "God hates gays" :censored: is counter to the message of Jesus.

Wanderer - They will be desecrating my own hometown this fall for the Democratic National Convention...
unfortunately the single best treatment for Phelps and his followers is one most people (myself included) can't manage: complete and total non-acknowledgement.
If they found themselves in a bubble, being ignored 100%, it would get the point across much better than if I hauled off on one of them which is exactly what they want.... (and what I think about doing most of the time, believe me)

let them stand there with their sick posters and foul chants, twisting the message of a religion that has just as much potential for kindness and acceptance as it does closedmindedness and hate, and not a single person even LOOKS at them, let alone responds...

:sigh:

wolfeden said:
the single best treatment for Phelps and his followers is one most people (myself included) can't manage: complete and total non-acknowledgement.

agreed. their hatred isn't worth the poster board it's printed on. they are sad and pathetic people.

Back
Top Bottom