Reading Lolita in Tehran

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I didn't know if I should put this here or in LS. "Reading Lolita in Tehran" is a book by an Iranian woman, Afar Nafisi, who taught English literature in Iran, or at least tried to. It's about the lack of artistic freedom in Iran. The Islamicist government banned all of her favorite books. She started to teach a class in her house, and invited several women to take the class. They read and discussed their favorite writers. Eventually Nafasi quit the University of Tehran and then left Iran and came here. She now teaches at Johns Hopkins University. I haven't been able to put this book down all day.

Its a great book Verte :up:

Have you read Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas? The author left Iran as child and moved to Southern California...pretty close to the area I live in actually. Its more of a comical account but touching at times too.

I also enjoyed Persepolis and Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi. The author has illustrated her childhood and teenage years in revolutionary Iran in black and white comic book style. They were such great stories, I read each one in a day!

One of my favorite books! Her writing was vivid and crisp, and the story she had to tell of life under the Shah was unbelieveable. And as an English teacher, I apprecaited how her passion for great books permeated every page. :up:

:)

SD

Back
Top Bottom