Reaching Out to Dems - Bushit - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2004, 04:21 PM   #76
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:02 AM
Me neither Verte!

What scares me is that this is how he starts his "across the aisle" shit. God save us from the rest of his agenda.

I know I'm still crying for my country's loss.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:54 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 PM
You and millions of other people are not happy with what happened last week, Scarletwine. I'm already so booked with protest meetings and demonstrations it's insane, and good grief, I live in a bastion of conservative politics! Good Lord, it's going to be a busy four years for the left!

Old 11-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #78
ONE
love, blood, life

The Nazi reference is below the belt. Since you are a long term member of the forum, I am pretty darn sure you know how offensive that is to some of us. You also know that for the longest time Pax had posted at the top of the forum, not to use that type of reference.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, lets continue to post more of peoples opinions about what was or was not said, and lets continue to interpret, instead of looking at the documents for ourselves.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You say you are disappointed in me, for thinking through, keeping an open mind, doing my own research. I am beyond disappointed in the tone of your post and the related Nazi comment. It is offensive and hurtful.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:18 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

So again looking at all the posts, everyone feels good at taking phrases and quotes out of context? That is acceptable?

Ignoring the fact that in the same memo that everyone is raving about he says PHYSICAL ABUSE WOULD BE WRONG.......

We are still going with the phrases out of context?

I give....
Old 11-11-2004, 06:47 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Fair enough, he says physical harm would be bad. I think the thing that is disturbing to some of us is his attitude toward the Geneva Conventions, which I support. He seems to feel differently about them. I'm not really suggesting that the guy is some kind of ogre, and I'm not surprised that I don't completely approve of a Bush appointee. I'm sure he's a decent guy who is trying to do the right thing, because let's not forget that this thing came out less than a year after 9/11. I still don't like his attitude towards the Geneva Conventions. Is it OK to disagree about this?
Old 11-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:02 AM
The Geneva Conventions are specific, not being afforded Geneva Convention Rights that would be given to a captured and uniformed soldier fighting in accordance with the rules of war is different than taking every captured enemy and torturing them. Terrorists and spies are not the same thing as a general army and the sweeping generalisations being made lack depth, Abu Ghraib was awful abuse caused by a failure of discipline and that command should burn - it was not a professional interrogation and I do not think that it would be indiciative of treatment in Gitmo, the oversight there is too much.

The real business goes on in "friendly countries" where the captured higher level players are sent or held at until they release information - I have more of a problem where Ramzi Yousef is in a Philipino interrogation room and is handed over with ciggarette burns on his hand than "stress positions" and loud Fleetwod Mac cover bands.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:07 PM   #82
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Okay, I rustled up the Nazi reference. Scarletwine, you ought to know better. Really. This is not a new policy in FYM or anything. I'm no Bush fan, but there are fathoms of difference between Bush and a paranoid mass murderer who tried to exterminate untold millions (and, unfortunately, succeeded in far too many cases).

Just so we're clear...NO GRATUITOUS NAZI REFERENCES. "Nazi" is a term we are reserving for ACTUAL NAZIS, not people we simply don't like.

God, I can't believe people still need to be reminded!

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:43 PM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:02 AM
I suggest cryptoFascist
Old 11-11-2004, 07:46 PM   #84
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Oooooohhhh, Wanderer, do you know Douglas Coupland? Is that a Microserfs reference?

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:15 PM   #85
New Yorker

Dread, so you don't like what you consider to be people misunderstanding the torture documents, but what about the other stuff? what about the money from Enron and the fact that he barely felt the need to mention to the governor of Texas that they were about to execute a mentally handicapped person who didn't have the capacity to understand what was happening to him?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:50 AM   #86
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Dread, so you don't like what you consider to be people misunderstanding the torture documents, but what about the other stuff? what about the money from Enron and the fact that he barely felt the need to mention to the governor of Texas that they were about to execute a mentally handicapped person who didn't have the capacity to understand what was happening to him?
Sharky, give me time.....I will research. Thank you for the debate and without the quotes I would not have had a place to start.

Believe me, I am not jumping up and down thrilled over this, but I am looking at the brite side..... He was suppposed to be the supreme court nominee....maybe he won't be now...
Old 11-12-2004, 05:37 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

A_Wanderer, I need to think a little bit more about the Geneva Conventions and terrorists. I was initially rather shocked when I heard about this, and my liberal listservers are having a field day. I *think* that I'm against making any exceptions with the Geneva Conventions, but it's not easy to adjust the whole situation as per actual terrorists who organize suicide bombings and such. I don't cry over scum like this, and I'm trying not to generalize too much. There are certain things I believe as a Christian as well, so let me think about this. It's definitely food for thought.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:55 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:02 AM
The Geneva Convention is a formalization of the standard rules of war that developed over the centuries. The core element is that war would be conducted by uniformed representatives. Certain protections have always existed for those who followed this core element. Certain penalties have always existed for those who did not.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:00 AM   #89
New Yorker

Will the Democrats possible rejection of Alberto Gonzales turn off their somewhat weakening Hispanic base? Bush did get huge gains from Hispanics and its always been a base he's somewhat appealed to. Naming the first Hispanic general is certainly an interesting move.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:02 AM   #90
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
So again looking at all the posts, everyone feels good at taking phrases and quotes out of context? That is acceptable?

Ignoring the fact that in the same memo that everyone is raving about he says PHYSICAL ABUSE WOULD BE WRONG.......

We are still going with the phrases out of context?

I give....
Don't some people take Moore's 911 film as a documentary? It wouldn't surprise me.