Reaching Out to Dems - Bushit - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2005, 06:32 AM   #136
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Evil was probably a harsh criticism, but I wasn't referring it to atheists at all, but seeing a network who has done more than any other in attempts to sway an election. I'm glad they got caught with their pants down this time over the fake Bush documents. If not evil, slanted for sure. Look at their Ronald Reagan movie, it's nice that they would map out an obscene, disgusting line about AIDS that was never quoted by Reagan, who was suffering from alzheimer's while they were busy tearing him down. I'm telling you, they're slanted.

i think John Stewart said it best in regards to the conservative "outrage" over the Reagan movie -- "everyone is so upset about [the movie's portrayal of Regan and the AIDS crisis] because they made someone utterly indifferent appear to be outright callous."

Old 01-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:23 AM
Even Entertainment Weekly took a jab at CBS over this movie. Entertainment Weekly isn't exactly a conservative magazine either, but they said it was disappointing that conservatives were the only ones to object to the Reagan film.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:57 AM   #138
War Child

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Even Entertainment Weekly took a jab at CBS over this movie. Entertainment Weekly isn't exactly a conservative magazine either, but they said it was disappointing that conservatives were the only ones to object to the Reagan film.
Entertainment Weekly? I haven't read one in awhile but I really wouldn't call EW a magazine that leaned either way I mean all they talk about is celebrities clothes, movies, music, celebrities relationships, books, and TV, you really can't get too political about this stuff.

I think you're focusing way too hard on one line in one made for TV movie that really no one even watched.

CBS screwed up a few news producers screwed up actually why Rather got the blame I will never know, does anyone really believe these anchors do any of the real research? They read what they are given. CBS has apologized and are taking actions to correct their mistakes.

I haven't seen any major TV network that didn't have their leanings and try to suade an audience.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:48 PM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America
Entertainment Weekly? I haven't read one in awhile but I really wouldn't call EW a magazine that leaned either way I mean all they talk about is celebrities clothes, movies, music, celebrities relationships, books, and TV, you really can't get too political about this stuff.

I think you're focusing way too hard on one line in one made for TV movie that really no one even watched.

CBS screwed up a few news producers screwed up actually why Rather got the blame I will never know, does anyone really believe these anchors do any of the real research? They read what they are given. CBS has apologized and are taking actions to correct their mistakes.

I haven't seen any major TV network that didn't have their leanings and try to suade an audience.
Entertainment Weekly also takes a stab at Fox News from time to time (such as when it was reported that Al Gore was going to have his own station, they said, "don't worry, Bush has his own station, it's called Fox News", and threw Michael Moore's face on the cover while the campaign was gettting heated up. They are veterans in bed with Johnny Depp, the man who says "America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive," and "My daughter is four, my boy is one. I'd like them to see America as a toy, a broken toy. Investigate it a little, check it out, get this feeling and then get out." Somehow, they manage to root for leftist political fanatics who just so happen to be in the entertainment industry. As for the few conservatives that have a place in the industry, such as Mel Gibson they rug them out.

As for CBS, it's not just the anchors, it's the network itself that is dishonest and unfair. Looking at the Reagan film, the cast is already decorated with left wingers, although that isn't anything new. You may want to check this out http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...off-air_x.htm. If you have no problem with the quote they decided to use in a sinister attempt to trash Reagan's legacy, I guess you don't believe that realistic portrayals of any American icon should be fair and factual. To me, it's every bit as dishonest as if a network made a Martin Luther King movie and threw in a line that insinuated that Dr. King hated white people. CBS went forth to distort the truth into lies, and that is wrong.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #140
War Child

Quote:
Entertainment Weekly also takes a stab at Fox News from time to time (such as when it was reported that Al Gore was going to have his own station, they said, "don't worry, Bush has his own station, it's called Fox News", and threw Michael Moore's face on the cover while the campaign was gettting heated up. They are veterans in bed with Johnny Depp, the man who says "America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive," and "My daughter is four, my boy is one. I'd like them to see America as a toy, a broken toy. Investigate it a little, check it out, get this feeling and then get out." Somehow, they manage to root for leftist political fanatics who just so happen to be in the entertainment industry. As for the few conservatives that have a place in the industry, such as Mel Gibson they rug them out.
Ok everyone takes a stab at Fox News even the the Simpsons which is on Fox. Micheal Moore made a big movie and is a big entertainer they are an entertainment mag. Same with Depp, he's an amazing actor why wouldn't they want him in their magazine. And over the years Mel has gotten plenty of face time in this magazine even with passion so please don't kid yourself.
Quote:

As for CBS, it's not just the anchors, it's the network itself that is dishonest and unfair. Looking at the Reagan film, the cast is already decorated with left wingers, although that isn't anything new. You may want to check this out http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...off-air_x.htm. If you have no problem with the quote they decided to use in a sinister attempt to trash Reagan's legacy, I guess you don't believe that realistic portrayals of any American icon should be fair and factual. To me, it's every bit as dishonest as if a network made a Martin Luther King movie and threw in a line that insinuated that Dr. King hated white people. CBS went forth to distort the truth into lies, and that is wrong.
You're still looking at this through a very narrow sight. The cast is decorated with left-wingers? How many "right-wingers" are there doing movies? Look at the percentages, the cast has nothing to do with it, they didn't write shit. Yes I agree the one line is wrong, but your analogy of MLK is just down right offensive. MLK spoke all the time about one nation without barriers of skin, Reagan for the most part ignored the AIDS epidemic for a long time. If you are going to make an analogy try comparing apples to apples.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Okay, at least you agree that they shouldn't have thrown that line in there. So why should that be a problem when I use it as a specific example to argue that CBS is biased? As far as the Mel Gibson comment, you must not have heard about how much the media focused on his father, who had nothing to do with the movie. Mel Gibson is a grown man, and I would say it's a little late to blame his traditional beliefs on his parents.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #142
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:

Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings, Aaron Brown and many others would beg to differ.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #143
War Child

Quote:
Okay, at least you agree that they shouldn't have thrown that line in there. So why should that be a problem when I use it as a specific example to argue that CBS is biased? As far as the Mel Gibson comment, you must not have heard about how much the media focused on his father, who had nothing to do with the movie. Mel Gibson is a grown man, and I would say it's a little late to blame his traditional beliefs on his parents.
Yes I agree, but your still not accepting the fact that every media outlet is biased they all tried to suade the audience one way or another is doesn't make them evil. CBS has been around for how long and you can only give me two instances as why they are "evil", one line from a movie and an event that they've apologized and took action on. We could do this with every freakin media outlet out there.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #144
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by drhark

Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings, Aaron Brown and many others would beg to differ.
They're all going to argue "fair and balanced" but it's bullshit. They all have their leanings even the one that coined the "fair and balanced" term.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #145
Acrobat

Quote:

Micheal Moore made a big movie and is a big entertainer
Michael Moore is a political player, and he is big (sorry, couldn't resist).

The Reagan movie is ancient history but it was rather odd that he was played by the husband of Barbara Streisand.

That's like Jerry Falwell playing Bill Clinton.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Personally, I think very few networks are truly Fair and Balanced. There is one that leans a bit right of center - Fox, but there's a list of them that are left-of-center, such as CNN, NBC, and ABC. CBS: ... maybe "evil" is a little too much icing on the cake, but I have a hard time finding them fair and balanced.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #147
War Child

Quote:

That's like Jerry Falwell playing Bill Clinton.
Jerry Falwell is not an actor. Actors play roles of men and women they don't admire all the time. That's why it's called acting. We wouldn't have bad guys in films if actors only played the roles of people they admire. It doesn't mean they don't try to give the character justice.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:36 PM   #148
Acrobat

OK, substitute Falwell for extreme far right kook actor. (I can't think of one)

Let's be real, Mr. Streisand was chomping at the bit to play his version of Reagan (well, not totally. He had to temper it a bit to try to maintain some credibility).

But.... movie sucked (no I didn't see it but I'm pretty confident it did), it's over and done with, not worth discussing to me anymore.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Quote:
OK, substitute Falwell for extreme far right kook actor. (I can't think of one)

Mel Gibson?

also, the movie wasn't bad (i did watch some of it on Showtime) and it was James Brolin's performance that was easily the best of the bunch -- he was nominated for an Emmy and Golden Globe for it, i believe. and, yes, he was very good.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #150
Acrobat

would you have said Mel Gibson 2 years ago before his last movie came out?