RATE THE SPEECH. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 01-29-2002, 09:24 PM   #1
Local Time: 08:53 PM

Foreign Policy Agenda:
A+ - flawless; hope we follow through

Domestic Agenda:
B - nothing offensive, but little as envigorating as Reagan; might be good to set up Democrats as partisans, but will have to wait and see

Government Agenda:
I - incomplete for not mentioning judge appointments; could be, again, setting up the Dems as obstructionists

A - favoring his strength of brevity and cystaline simplicity (surprisingly short!)

A - good, great if Bush follows through

Old 01-29-2002, 09:26 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:53 PM
I thought it was superb, but I never liked report cards.

Old 01-29-2002, 10:19 PM   #3
Local Time: 05:53 PM
I liked it.
and I didn't vote for Bush.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:24 PM   #4
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
Local Time: 01:53 AM
I thought it was an excellent speech, I really think he's coming along as a speaker, He came through with a nice delivery, relaxed, but very serious.

His plans for the war.. were, as I have supported all along, excellent, and straight from the decisive minds of he, with the brilliant advising from Rumsfeld, powell, rice et al..

I also thought he did a good job switching the focus. .. or maybe just including as as high a priority.. the economy.. He went into what he wanted, but no details, which was good, there's no need.. Americans can't understand it anyways, But the key is he's gonna be spreading out around what he wants to do and how he wants to do it, and I think he'll get the people to believe.

L. Unplugged
Old 01-29-2002, 10:50 PM   #5
The Fly
all he was doing is reading a teleprompter from what Dr. Rice wrote for him to say.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:55 PM   #6
Originally posted by U2live:
all he was doing is reading a teleprompter from what Dr. Rice wrote for him to say.

This made my laugh...

Old 01-29-2002, 11:14 PM   #7
She's the One
Local Time: 06:53 PM
I watched part of Star Trek.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:52 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:53 AM
I thought it was a election speach, lots of words but nothing to say.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:57 AM   #9
bout and 8.5
Almost as good as address of Congress a few months back.

"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

-curious? click
links for
Bos.4 Story

Old 01-30-2002, 03:39 AM   #10
love, blood, life
I thought it was a good speech, even though I disagreed with the majority of its contents. It was well written and basically said what people wanted/needed to hear at this time.

I was concerned at some of the comments about foreign policy as they seemed to be aimed at preparing people for further US intervention overseas by highlighting the 'dangers' of Iraq, Iran, North Korea. I notice he mentioned that Saddam Hussein has used poison gas against his own citizens. No mention of the fact that the US was supplying him with military and financial aid during the 1980s when this murder of about 45,000 people took place. No mention either of the estimated 500,000 people killed by US and UK led sanctions and continued bombing of Iraq.

Oh, and while he's making comments about having freed women in Afghanistan from oppression, can we please note that Saudi Arabia has one of the most oppressive regimes against women in the world and is still the recipient of millions of dollars of US aid. So if the president would put a little pressure on them to stop treating their women as second class citizens, that'd be nice.

Claiming to admire a leader who took power in a military coup might raise eyebrows somewhere around the world.

No mention of the situation in the Middle East. It would have been interesting to hear some of Bush's (or his administration's)thoughts on that.

On his comments about energy/conservation, I hope that "making America less dependent on foreign oil" doesn't mean obtaining oil from Alaska as this undermines any comments he made about conservation.

Positive things...

I liked his comments about education, with programs such as Head Start it might be a long time before we see results but they are worth investing in. A Patients Bill of Rights is a good idea if properly implemented.

I'm not sure if it was highlighted in the speech, but the promise of aid to Afghanistan is very positive.

I think the main strength of the speech was that it was what people wanted to hear. Obviously the last year has presented a lot of challenges which the US hasn't had to face before, and I think people were looking to the President to articulate that. I think people were looking for some sort of reassurance, maybe even comfort?

So overall, good speech in terms of giving people reassurance, leadership and hope. Just some concerns about the implications of his comments regarding foreign policy.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:58 AM   #11
War Child
I thought it was a great SPEECH. The last few months have transformed Bush into a very "presidential" President. I even think he is doing the best that he can.

But it was just a speech. What will really be delivered? What would we be thinking about the first year of this Presidency if 9/11 had not happend? Tragic as it may sound, 9/11 was the best thing to happen to this President.

I rate the speech an A.

Regarding job performance,
I rate the January-9/11/01 period a C.
I rate 9/11/01-1/29/02 an A-.

I remain very partisan with a huge distrust for both Pres. Bush and his VP, Dick Cheney, especially in light of the Enron scandal.

(sigh) Some things never change!
Old 01-30-2002, 04:38 AM   #12
Local Time: 02:53 AM
I forgot to record it, so I guess I'll just read a transcript and watch the highlights on the news tonight.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:06 AM   #13
War Child
Local Time: 09:53 PM
I was a little distracted by all the applause and the hootin' and hollerin' by the suits.

But otherwise I thought it was good.

Work like you don't need to
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one is watching
Old 01-30-2002, 10:41 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I didn't watch it. Quite frankly, speeches like that hold little appeal for me. I'll wait to see actions.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:47 AM   #15
love, blood, life
Local Time: 09:53 PM
The State of the Union is just a propaganda speech. It is never about the actual state of the union and has the same amount of truth as a campaign speech: none. Heck, even Clinton was guilty of this. Nice promises that will never go through.

My only issue with his foreign policy is the whole secretive element of it. It seems good from what we've been told, but I don't trust him.

His domestic agenda is horrible. Not only did he use the terrorist scare to erode away what little privacy we had, but he's used the scare to paint all dissenters as "terrorist sympathizers." He tries to run this country like a dictator, his tax plan was fiscally irresponsible, and he has no solid approach to fixing this recession, outside of tax cuts. When businesses are paying nearly no taxes anyway, from over twenty years of successive tax cuts and other corporate welfare, how can you cut them further? Next, we'll be giving them handouts.

As as for judge obstructionism, lest we forget, the Republican Congress during Clinton's term allowed hundreds of vacancies and held up his judge appointments for years, with most of them still being unfilled when he left office. As much as I dislike partisan politics, I hope the Democrats are just as obstructionist as the Republicans were during Clinton. Dubya deserves it.

"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time