Rate and advise Bono on Meet The Press if you watched it. Add Comments please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate the effectiveness of Bono's Meet the Press interview.

• Bono hit a homerun and convinced many fence sitters

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Bono didn't say anything new but I know his heart is in the right place and I will continue to suppo

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Bono did a great job sounded intellegent swayed perhaps a few but should shave, take off his glasses

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters
Hi Moonlit:wave: I was wondering the same thing? I know that U2 has a concert the day of Live 8 but I hope that Bono can get some rest before that...a few days off would do him a world of good!!!:yes:

u2bonogirl said:
once I realized Ive heard everything he was saying already my mind started drifting :reject:

Hehehehe...that can happen when Bono is around:laugh:

Moonlit_Angel said:

Do U2 have any concerts this week before the Live 8 show? If not, Bono should take some of that time and get in a nice nap or two.

Wednesday, June 29 - Cardiff, Wales

then after Live 8 they play in Vienna.

Hopefully he'll be able to get some rest before Saturday.

Thanks for the info Bonston Anne:wave: ....That only gives him 2 days of rest , right?:confused: Do you think that is enough?:(

Carmelu2fan said:
Thanks for the info Bonston Anne:wave: ....That only gives him 2 days of rest , right?:confused: Do you think that is enough?:(

I can't imagine that being enough - but he won't have a couple of weeks off until between Leg 2 & Leg 3 (a break from August 15- September 11).

:wave: :)

August!!!:ohmy: That is quite far from now...:sad: ... hope he can get some rest before then.........Well I have to go now...it was great talking to you all:wave:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
^ ditto that. If I were Ali, I'd attack him with clippers and a shaver in his sleep and tidy him up. I'm a huge fan of Bono, but not a big fan of his current image. It's too rough and unkept and really is making him look older than he is (the dark shades over his eyes, slicked back thinning hair, extremely dark colored clothing...bleh).

Something a little more like this, but w/ a LIGHT colored dress shirt or suit ensemble would be a bit more marketable, IMO:
photo164.jpg

That said, I have yet to see the interview in question...

this is a very good look and would sell well.
He looks scholarly in a way, like a professor.

And for you ladies that just want to pant every time Bono sashas into the room or makes a TV appearance, youre impeding the progress here.:angry:

I don't know whats going on w Bono I haven't walked a mile in his thong, ok thats all for now, lets just try and stay on topic.

thank u
db9

I'm gonna have to check my tape to see again whether I think Bono looked as 'bad' as some of you thought...I mean, I like the posted photo look, but I certainly don't recall him looking bad or dark/disheveled etc in the interview. He did seem exhausted though...was it live ( I presume so)? What the hell time was it in Dublin when it's 10:30 EasternTime in the US?!
I can't even begin to imagine what lack of sleep does to deepen back pain...when I'm dealing with that I find that lack of sleep makes it soo much worse.
I like his current look fine, but I must say I'd surely enjoy a dress-Bono up session on WhatNottoWear!

and though I think I myself have heard just about everything he said before, for those to whom the message was new I'd guess he was pretty effective. I don't think he looked so alien to a conservative that they'd not listen to his words very closely, and he was careful not to badmouth bush. I think his comment about how he believes bush really wants to do this and he just needs the permission of the fiscal conservative forces and those who feel that we've already spent so much on the war was very good. I think that his bringing up how even colin powell (yes, the dove of the last cabinetset despite his ex-general status) said we can win hearts and defeat 'enemies' by alleviating poverty was a good point. He did seem tired and less emphatic or smily making these points than he usually does, but I thought it must be because it was 4:30 am for him, or somesuch.
cheers!

My point for posting the thread was to help Bono get his message acrosss with the maxium amount of effect.

I love the little fellow and have loved him for the last quarter century.

These suggestions are made out of support and love for what Bono is doing.

Granted if I would of listened to the Meet the Press audio only, I would of appreciated Bono'e vast knowledge of the topics and keen intellect.

My point is his appearance needs a bit of polish for maximum effectiveness for those he is trying to sway.

We as fans will take him anyway he comes to us even in those silly Macphisto horns, but there is a time and place for everything.

Thats all.

db9
:)

diamond said:
My point is his appearance needs a bit of polish for maximum effectiveness for those he is trying to sway.

Yes, but the right to be ridiculous is something that Bono holds dear. :wink:

I agree with your point - but Bono doesn't work that way. I think he's going to look however his mood suits him.

I didn't say he looks "bad" I said his usual rough/hard appearance is not very marketable, especially to the audience he's trying to reach when he does these more mainstream interviews. Someone like my mom, my aunt, my grandma - they're going to shut down when they see Bono looking like that b/c they're still getting this loud "rockstar" vibe and will have a hard time getting past that image to see what's really underneath. He's already admitted to basically being a marketing whore, using his celeb status to get some attention, so I don't see why he'd be so opposed to dressing like more appropriately when he's trying to get his point across national TV.

He really didn't look that bad. He could have shaved - but otherwise he's pretty cleaned up.

What's wrong with his hair Diamond?

(PS. thanks to Queen Bee for the pic)

Attachments

• meetthepress17.jpg
    meetthepress17.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 56
It's just so....dark. The glasses are only making his eyes look more tired and his face look heavier, the cover his eyes so then your attention is drawn downwards to his scruffiness or upwards to his forehead...imagine how much more lively and approachable he'd look sans shades and with a nice white or baby blue dress shirt. I dunno, I just prefer to be able to look people in the eye every now and then, especially when they're talking about such serious matters.

BostonAnne said:

Yes, but the right to be ridiculous is something that Bono holds dear. :wink:

I agree with your point - but Bono doesn't work that way. I think he's going to look however his mood suits him.

Ecclesiates 3:1-11

A time and season for everything and in this season there is an emergency going on in Africa.

I want to help him address the emergency in the most effective way means regardless of his mood.:)

thoughtfully,

db9

p.s.-

LivLuvBootleg is right on target.
Bono needs to stop worrying about the flack he gets from fellow rockstars re his apperance, what polictians he mingles with. Bono needs to play the part of an ambassador a bit better when unswayed millions and
a few unswayed money holders are watching/judging him on the tube.

Its that simple, but sad in a way.
Sad because the money holders judge on appearance, simple because Bono is such an articulate salesman he can turn the tide more effectively and rapidly if he were to tweak his appearence slightly.

Last edited:
ShellBeThere said:
He did seem exhausted though...was it live ( I presume so)? What the hell time was it in Dublin when it's 10:30 EasternTime in the US?!

He did seem tired and less emphatic or smily making these points than he usually does, but I thought it must be because it was 4:30 am for him, or somesuch.
cheers!

If that part of the show was live, then it was only 3:30 in the afternoon in Dublin at the time.

u2bonogirl said:
he has such honest and soulful eyes too. I think people would be more drawn in if they could see him looking at them

Agreed, sorry to keep going on about it, but I do wish he'd ditch the shades. From all these business, marketing, and communication classes and projects I've been taking/doing lately, it's just so important to honestly be able to look someone in the eye. The shades make it seem like he's got something to hide or he's afraid of being genuine or something. If you want people to believe you and in a sense, trust you, that's not good.

the room was dimly lit to begin with. Even with the blue bvlgari shades you can still see his eyes, but THOSE ones :madspit:
The darkest ones he owns
Who knows, maybe he was piss drunk and didnt want anybody to know it. Thats why he couldnt hold himself up :lol:

u2bonogirl said:
he has such honest and soulful eyes too. I think people would be more drawn in if they could see him looking at them

and this is exactly what the money handlers need to see.

u2bonogirl,
ppl like you me and fans already know his goodness.
for Bono to effectively proselytize the natives(conseratives) he needs to play the role, cuz they have control of the money that he needs to distrubute.

db9

I don't think he needed to say anything new. The people he was trying to reach on Meet the Press are people that probably haven't already signed onto the one campaign. Politicians always repeat the same message everywhere they go. Boring but seems to work for Bush.

I was distacted by the sunglasses I usually like them but he may have done better without them. He did look tired but I think don't think he should change much else. He is a rock star. The one campaign has conservative representatives already. Just my 2 cents:wink:

redkat said:
The one campaign has conservative representatives already. Just my 2 cents:wink:

yes but Bono clearly stated that he actually needed even more money now from a certain bloc of ppl, 'blochead-conseratives' , that were standing in his way..

For him to to this he will need to look a bit more the part, look a bit more approachable and a tiny bit more dapper.

Then he wins.
:)

db9

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:

OH , that is so true, So true!!!

Back
Top Bottom