Rape Survivor Denied Treatment Because She "Appeared Intoxicated" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 10-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:36 AM
allegedly anally penetrated her at around 3 a.m.
Wouldn't there be "something" (don't know the term) that would show the penetration?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:36 PM
Originally posted by unico
As a college administrator, I feel like I have to step in and say something.

We KNOW that there are loads more sexual assaults going on than gets reported. We NEVER discourage ANYBODY from coming forward. In fact, we do our best to create programs and services to extend to students so they can feel comfortable coming forward and pressing charges.

There is a sort of stigma associated with sexual assault, as well as guilt and shame. It is much more difficult to get men to come forward who have been sexually assaulted (yes it happens!) than women.

I know of students who have some awful things happen. Yet they refused to press charges. It is ultimately the student's decision whether they want to do that.

And please do not assume such things of college administrators. We spend YEARS studying STUDENT development, not trying to generate impressive numbers for the university. We care far more about the students than the school itself. We don't study the school, we study students and work to create an environment that best promotes individual growth.

We know it happens. We do the best we can to stand up for the students. We are advocates, not silencers.
Mia I wasn't attacking you! I know there are plenty of great college administrators out there, including you, but I've just heard stories from college girls, some at my own school, about rape and sexual assault not being handled well, and when I said "admins" I meant "administrations" as a whole. And of course it is the student's decision about pressing charges, and it is not just some select college administrations but a much larger societal influence that further stigmatizes rape and makes it harder for people to come forward.