Rape In The Military - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:31 AM
Rape In The Military

This is so sad and infuriating

More than 59,000 female troops have been deployed overseas to support the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. They have flown combat missions, served on ships and, in 12 cases, died in Iraq - stark evidence of the equality women have attained as soldiers.

Yet, when several reported sexual assaults in the combat zone during the past year, equal treatment vanished. They say their complaints were ignored or spurred mistreatment by male superiors.

Thirty-seven women who have served in Iraq and Kuwait in recent months have reported to a civilian group that they were sexually assaulted by fellow troops or superiors during their assignments overseas.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...iew-usat_x.htm

That is an op/ed piece, but I think the "statistics" speak for themselves. Here is the link for the opposing op/ed

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...ose-usat_x.htm

Interesting, I just saw this on the CNN Site, breaking news

Defense Secretary Rumsfeld orders review of alleged sexual assaults on female soldiers in Iraq and Kuwait by other soldiers

He is just finding out about this now?

Old 02-07-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 04:31 PM
You send women into a testosterone mecca. Combine this with a high stress environment and very limited possibilities to get rid of these testorone overdoses and you'll always get men that can't control themselves....

Old 02-08-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

This should be in FYM not war.....
Old 02-08-2004, 10:18 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I put it here because it's referring to incidents in Iraq. I would think someone would have moved it by now if they felt it was in the wrong place

Sorry. I guess I shouldn't have posted it. And honestly I'm shocked that someone refers to rape in terms of testosterone and men not being able to control themselves
Old 02-08-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

No you should have posted it...but so many do not come in here...and this is not so much about the war as it is rape.

I am pretty horrified by it.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:35 PM   #6
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vorsprung
You send women into a testosterone mecca. Combine this with a high stress environment and very limited possibilities to get rid of these testorone overdoses and you'll always get men that can't control themselves....

So being at war is an excuse for rape? If rape were only about testosterone and sexual urges, masturbation would be the solution.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Vorsprung wasn't trying to make excuses BAW. An explanation isn't the same as a justification
Old 02-09-2004, 05:51 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Is this 2004? Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smart ***

I really wish I had never posted this

Maybe someone could just delete it...

If there are any guys reading this who have another opinion, I'd appreciate it if you would post
Old 02-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:31 AM
This is extremely saddening and horrifying at the same time. There is no excuse and these reports should have been dealt with right away.

I don't think anyone was trying to justify the situation. I think he tried to give a very simple explanation to an act that really can't be explained.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:59 PM   #10
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I think he tried to give a very simple explanation to an act that really can't be explained.
Agreed.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:51 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:31 AM
This is so upsetting. I remember reading about a problem like this at the Air Force Academy a while back. It's so shameful, and those who do not support these women and punish the men are nothing but advocates of the horrible, harmful behavior. I hope something is done...... There is NO excuse for it.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:16 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My first thought while reading something similar to this was "it's uneducated, hungry males with little or no hope for a future. Horrific as it is I thought this is the plight of African women in this war torn nation. So.. What's the excuse for these men to committ such act's?, Inside this the most highly educated and trained military in the world. There is no excuse, try them, court martial them and strip them of their self imposed dignity. Set a higher example.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #13
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
I think the female US soldiers arent the only victims, i think to female iraqis might have hapened the same.

For some reason it hapens in every (or almost all) wars that soldiers - no matter how educated or from which country, rape females

The only thing the military can do is punishing soldiers who rape others in such a drastical way that it is frightning to their soldiers

Klaus
Old 05-18-2004, 06:26 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:31 AM

Published on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 by CommonDreams.org

One Hundred Twelve Women Assaulted in Iraq, Afghanistan
by Irene Weiser

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0518-06.htm

The US serviceman waited outside the latrine and hit the woman on the back of the head as she exited, knocking her unconscious. He tied her hands with cord, blindfolded her, cut her clothes off with a knife, stuffed her underwear in her mouth and proceeded to rape her. When she regained consciousness and began to resist, he threatened to rape her with the knife instead. He hit her in the head again, this time forcefully between the eyes, again causing her to lose consciousness. When she came to she was transported to another facility where she was interrogated for three hours. She received no medical treatment for her head injuries. For the first few days following the rape she was housed with another woman; she was subsequently left in isolation for an extended period. Her requests for religious counsel were denied.

Sound like the latest exposť from Abu Ghraib? Guess again. Itís just one of the more than 100 incidents of rape, sexual assault and other forms of sexual misconduct reported in the past 18 months by U.S. women soldiers currently serving in Iraq and Afghanistan who have been sexually assaulted by fellow U.S. soldiers.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:41 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Well just like all the other abuses it will sadly get written off as the act of a few bad seeds and be swept under the rug.