Ramsey Clark - traitor or fighter of justice? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:23 AM
Ramsey Clark - traitor or fighter of justice?

I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone (much less a former U.S. attorney general) would be willing to defend Saddam Hussein in his trial.

In my opinion, Ramsey Clark is a traitor to his country and should be stripped of his U.S. citizenship - or at least be prosecuted on his return to America. What person in his right mind could defend the actions of a notorious dictator who committed genocide against his own people? And I'm not even talking about the damage he did in Kuwait and the 40 missiles he shot at us during the 1991 gulf war.

One could argue that Saddam deserves a fair trial....hmmm....fair trial? Exactly what kind of "fair trial" did he give any of the people he put in jail and tortured during his reign of terror?

As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the world owes a debt of gratitude to the United States for getting rid of this brutal dictator and for trying to help the Iraqi people emerge from out of the shadows of brutality into the light of freedom.

I wonder if Ramsey Clark would have defended Adolf Hiter also.....?

Old 11-28-2005, 09:43 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:23 PM
I don't believe he should be stripped of his citizenship, and I really hesitate to label anyone a "traitor".

Everyone deserves legal representation, even someone as evil as Saddam Hussein. That's the way the system works, I could never do it but many people can - even lawyers who know how evil their clients are/how guilty they are.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

What MrsSpringsteen said
Old 11-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I don't believe he should be stripped of his citizenship, and I really hesitate to label anyone a "traitor".

Everyone deserves legal representation, even someone as evil as Saddam Hussein. That's the way the system works, I could never do it but many people can - even lawyers who know how evil their clients are/how guilty they are.
I don't believe that terrorists come under the same heading as "everyone". They keep people in fear, kill, torture and maim.
Just what gives them the right to expect to be treated differently than they've treated others?

The same goes for Osama Bin-Laden and Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi.
I keep seeing the faces of the hostages who were beheaded on the orders of Al-Zarqawi. The screams of Nick Berg as the terrorists slice away at his neck cannot be easily forgotten.

If they're captured they should be put to death right away without giving them a chance to spout anymore of their garbage.

Who could possibly defend Osama Bin-Laden?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Correct.

Actually, Clark's role will give credibility to any conviction that is obtained.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono
One could argue that Saddam deserves a fair trial....hmmm....fair trial? Exactly what kind of "fair trial" did he give any of the people he put in jail and tortured during his reign of terror?
You're right.

Let's nuke 'em.

(Yeehaw)
Old 11-28-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:23 PM
At least he wasn't able to stop this
Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court refused Monday to overturn a $116 million judgment against the Palestine Liberation Organization in the deaths of a Jewish couple near the West Bank.

The PLO, and its governmental entity, had been sued in federal court in Rhode Island over the 1996 drive-by shooting of Yaron Ungar, an American citizen, and his Israeli wife, Efrat, as the couple returned home from a wedding.

The family’s relatives argued that the PLO and Palestinian Authority provided a safe haven and operational base for the Islamic militant group Hamas, which was responsible for the attack. A judge issued a default judgment after the PLO did not respond to requests for depositions from Yasser Arafat and others.

Former Attorney General Ramsey Clark, the lawyer for the PLO, told justices in the appeal last month that Ungar relatives have “commenced sweeping national and international efforts” to collect the millions of dollars, including an attempt to seize Palestine’s U.N. Mission building in New York.

Clark said U.S. courts “are marching off to the conflicts of the Middle East and elsewhere carrying with them the integrity of the U.S. judiciary and risking the foreign perception that U.S. courts will extend their jurisdiction globally deciding the most sensitive political questions affecting the foreign policies of the U.S. and other nations as they go.”
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...m_Lawsuit.html
Old 11-28-2005, 07:20 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

The word 'traitor' is just being tossed around way too easily these days. And IMO, in this case, it's reprehensible to use it.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Correct.

Actually, Clark's role will give credibility to any conviction that is obtained.
My thoughts exactly.

Melon
Old 11-28-2005, 08:33 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

He's not a traitor by any means and I agree with what's been said...but I'd have a hard time doing it.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:30 AM   #11
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
I'm a traitor to traitors, a patriot to nothing but love, and a believer in the dignity of every life, even a life like Saddam Hussein.

Opportunist and underdog-lover to the point of absurdity, leftist orchestrator, and all-around-thorn in the side of the reality police, Ramsey Clark is not my friend, but he's not my enemy either.

He keeps us honest and on our toes and glad we are not him.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:47 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono

Just what gives them the right to expect to be treated differently than they've treated others?
True democracy?

If Iraq wants to display a want or desire for actual democracy, this could be one of the biggest statements the new government could make to it's own people, that even Hussein got a fair trial.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:18 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Yes and once tried he will probably convicted for his role in that massacre and be sentenced to death.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:42 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Yes and once tried he will probably convicted for his role in that massacre and be sentenced to death.
Probably. But if we wish to resort to Stalinist puppet trials and rule out any possible acquittal, why not just take him out back and shoot him?

That's why Saddam needs proper defense attorneys if you want a real trial.

Melon
Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I don't give a damn who it is, everyone accused of a crime deserves a fair trial. I know Saddam didn't give his people fair trials, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve one himself. I wouldn't want Ramsay Clark stripped of his citizenship, U.S. citizens are entitled to repulsive political views. Look at the Ku Klux Klan. I despise them but I think they have as much of a right to freedom of speech as I do.