Ralph Nader on Sunday Feb 24 "Meet the Press" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Ralph Nader on Sunday Feb 24 "Meet the Press"

It should be interesting, as he's criticized Obama.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/

The video will probably be up that day or a bit later, but it's better to watch it on TV.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:47 PM
Oh, shit. Here he comes again.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I recently saw the new Nader documentary, "An Unreasonable Man" and I quite enjoyed it.

I really hope he stops tarnishing what was at one point an impressive legacy.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Run, Ralph, Run!
Old 02-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Oh, shit. Here he comes again.
Ya, he's a total SPOILER and a media whore..... It's all for attention and taking votes from the Indies. I am hoping he doesn't run
Old 02-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
Run, Ralph, Run!
That may seem like your only hope, but honestly even if he did I don't think it would make much of a difference. I think the left realized their mistake last time he ran...

Even his biggest supporters like Pearl Jam, etc those that really helped him get his name out there in 2000 backed Kerry last time around because they knew they would be handing it to the right...
Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:47 PM
He's no different from any of the other candidates in having an ego large enough to see himself as the best guy for the job...if you're going to get annoyed with anyone, get annoyed with people who strongly prefer a Democratic President to a Republican one but still vote for Nader, knowing he can't win. He never runs as a Democrat anyway.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Wasn't the big thing with him last time that a lot of Dems voted for him because they just didn't like Kerry enough?

If he runs this time, I think it will be against a stronger candidate than Kerry, no matter if it's Obama or Clinton. They at least seem to inspire the Dems, instead of an "eh, Kerry. Yay. I guess."
Old 02-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

That may seem like your only hope
My only hope? No. I'm very confident with McCain. I'm just saying it would help if he ran.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

My only hope? No. I'm very confident with McCain. I'm just saying it would help if he ran.
If you say so...
Old 02-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
He's no different from any of the other candidates in having an ego large enough to see himself as the best guy for the job...if you're going to get annoyed with anyone, get annoyed with people who strongly prefer a Democratic President to a Republican one but still vote for Nader, knowing he can't win. He never runs as a Democrat anyway.

I think sometimes it is difficult because I believe a lot of Nader supporters vote their consciences, vote who they truly believe would be best for the country, even though he doesn't have the barest chance of winning. I think they are purist voters and while they frustrate the hell out of me, this is their vote and they're entitled to use it anyway they want to.

I've long been disillusioned with Nader. But last time he wanted to get on the ballot, I signed the petition. I didn't want him to run, but thought he had every right to. The same way I signed the petitions for the Green candidate for Senate in PA even knowing it was likely to draw votes away from Casey. Believe me, the Santorum camp was fighting hard to get the Greens on the ballot. I lost respect for the Greens then. Not for running and possibly endangering Casey but because of the sucking up they did toward Santorum's great integrity when it was clearly political maneuvering that benefited Santorum. If they had said, we know this is advantageous to Santorum, but we are grateful for his support anyway, I would have had more respect for them.

I don't think I will be signing any more ballot petitions for anyone I perceive to be a spoiler candidate, which bothers me in a way because I think anyone who wants to run should be able to run, but I'm tired of being used even in so minor a way. On the other hand, I certainly would not sign a petition to disallow someone on the ballot just because he/she is a spoiler.

However, this is not the same scenario as last time. I could see a Nader candidacy potentially equally drawing away independent votes from McCain.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

I think sometimes it is difficult because I believe a lot of Nader supporters vote their consciences, vote who they truly believe would be best for the country, even though he doesn't have the barest chance of winning. I think they are purist voters and while they frustrate the hell out of me, this is their vote and they're entitled to use it anyway they want to.

I disagree. I think that the majority of Nader voters don't necessarily think that he's adequate enough to run the country, but instead like the idea that he claims he's for the little guy. And for legalized pot. Or just that he's not the establishment--he's the punk rock candidate, the mohawk in high school, the middle finger to the current system. But can Nader as Nader the man actually run the country? I don't think so, and I don't think that half his supporters truly ask themselves that question.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

I think some people voted for Nader because they really wanted to vote for a third party candidate, whoever he was. I think there are a lot of people tired of the same old Democrat/Republican options.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I think there are a lot of people tired of the same old Democrat/Republican options.

still won't vote for nader. would appreciate if he could get me a better warranty on my laptop, though.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Even his biggest supporters like Pearl Jam, etc those that really helped him get his name out there in 2000 backed Kerry last time around because they knew they would be handing it to the right...
that certainly turned out splendidly, didn't it...