Ralph Nader on Sunday Feb 24 "Meet the Press" - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:41 AM
That's right, he hasn't said a damn thing except when it's time to have an election. I don't think he's running for the Greens.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I was hoping Nader wouldn't run. Now he'll just throw the election to the Republicans.

I mean, we have our own opinions about the man, but I really don't agree with this sentiment. I say it is about damn time we get out of this ridiculous two-party system. Both sides have disappointed myself and many others. I don't see anything wrong with other candidates stepping up to the plate.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

I wouldn't have a problem with 3rd party candidates bringing up issues and getting involved if it weren't for the winner take all Electoral College system. As long as we have that, unless a viable 3rd party comes along (which doesn't seem likely in our lifetime), 3rd parties will continue to split votes.

Congressional races however are a different matter. We're already seeing an increase of 3rd parties in congress.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

ugh. yeah you're right about the EC. i'm convinced the EC's presence single-handedly makes any progress in this country impossible. it's time for it to go.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #35
She's the One

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
I don't see anything wrong with other candidates stepping up to the plate.
McCain for president, then?

Just like last time Ralphie boy ran.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:07 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

McCain for president, then?

Just like last time Ralphie boy ran.

if we continue to live in an archaic 2 party system then i'm moving out before the next election. people shouldn't have to vote to stop someone else. they should vote for their top choice candidate. that sort of "only one or the other" or "steal the votes" mentality is nothing but a trap to perpetuate an already flawed system.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:20 AM   #37
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Well, moving out certainly isn't going to fix it, either...

Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

While I'm all for more people bringing in new ideas, multiple parties would generally mean someone would win based on plurality. If the vote broke down to 40-30-30, then nearly 2/3 of the people did not elect the president.

So, while people may not necessarily be happy with the current 2 parties, elections won based on plurality may not be that much better.

So really, it's hard to have a system that isn't inherently flawed, I guess it's up to you which system is "less flawed", and I can see the arguments of both
Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #39
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Nader actually hurts the cause of opening up the political system to more parties when he does these last minute entries. Had he actually built up support over the last 4/8 years by remaining active and visible in the political landscape, who knows, there might actually be a real, strong and viable grassroots movement to reform the system and allow for more political parties.

But he didn't. We didn't hear a damn thing from him or any other major third party candidates during the off election years, so I don't know if I'd hold the rest of the people to blame for feeling a little duped when we don't hear a peep out of Nader when all sorts of things are going wrong with the country, but if there happens to be an election going down then he throws in his hat late in the race and suddenly has the cures to America's ailments. I don't buy it. You can't expect change if you only come around every 4 years to try it.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Well, moving out certainly isn't going to fix it, either...

it fixes it for me
everyone else who is content with the 2 party system can stay, by all means.

i do agree though, that throwing one's hat so late into the game is foolish. it has already been pointed out before but he clearly has kept his head in his shell until now.

i'm not necessarily defending him in particular. believe me, he won my heart back when i saw him speak on campus eons ago. but then i saw him drinking a coke. that was the end of that. i just think that it shouldn't be so taboo to have a 3rd party candidate.

i still prefer a multi-party system, is all. which is why i should pack my bags
Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Also, most American 3rd parties are driven by a narrow set of issues. The main exception being the Libertarian party, which seems to be the most legitimate party as of late. For 3rd parties to be considered more viable they ought to present more broad platforms.

Mia, maybe you should just start a 3rd party of your own
Old 02-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Also, most American 3rd parties are driven by a narrow set of issues. The main exception being the Libertarian party, which seems to be the most legitimate party as of late. For 3rd parties to be considered more viable they ought to present more broad platforms.

Mia, maybe you should just start a 3rd party of your own
I agree. People aren't going to vote for a different party altogether just for 1 or 2 issues. Well, I would hope not anyway. And I'm all about starting a 3rd party. But what's so wrong with fleeing??? Think of all the beer and the men with accents!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:40 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

I think you're right. If he really wanted to run a viable third party candadicy he should have taken the time to build the national support. He should have been making his case for the past four years so that when he decides to run he's got substantial support and an actual shot at winning. Most candidates quit when they realize they don't have the support for a possible win (most already have). Nader STARTS his campaign at that point. Ridiculous. And yes, very much about his ego.
I basically agree although I think it would take longer than four or even eight years to build a viable national third party. As much as it pains me to say it the US is a conservative and very conventional nation which does not at this time deal well with rapid change. Any third party needs to build support from the ground up instead of "trickle down" support from a poorly planned and supported presidential bid.

A third party or independent presidential bid with the current political system in the US is nothing more than ego stroking exercise by the candidate -- and I feel it's also an ego stroking exercise for many if not most of the people who vote for said candidate. Voting for a no-hoper might feel good ("Oh look, I'm so radical, I'm not voting for either major party candidate."), but it is, given the current political system, nothing more than that. Yes a few percentage points to a third candidate in a tightly contested state can change the outcome of an election, but it's not enough to force any substantive changes in either major party so what the hell real, long term good does it do? None.

If you really want a viable third party presidential candidate then take the time and effort to help build a viable national party base. And realise that will take years, even decades. Don't just vote for some loon with a huge ego.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Ralph Nader will not be a factor this time around. He really wasn't in 2004 and frankly in 2000, all Al Gore had to do is WIN HIS OWN STATE and what happened in Florida would have been irrelevant.

This run is ill-conceived, but there is no point in complaining about it, now you have to make sure your margins are bigger if you're the Dems, that's all.

I'm still waiting on Lou Dobbs. That would be really fun.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #45
She's the One

Local Time: 02:41 AM
What is so great about a multi-party system? Is it the fragile coalition governments?