Ralph Nader - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2004, 08:38 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Ralph Nader

So it appears as if ole Ralph just might run for president again... we'll find out for sure Sunday on Meet The Press.

So what do those who tend to lean to the left around here... which would be most of you... think about Nader possiably joining the ranks?

As we all know, if Nader wasn't in the race last year, Gore more likely than not would have picked up either Florida or New Hampshire, if not both. So with another election that's predicted to be a tight one, do you want Nader in the race, knowing full well that it would make it tougher for Kerry to actually win the election?

Discuss...

Old 02-21-2004, 09:47 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

When I figure out who I am voting for I will tell ya!

Old 02-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Is he a member of the Skull and Bones club ? It seems that it is a good thing to be a member of a secret club, to become a president of the USA.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:28 PM
I hope he won't run, but if he does, I think most Democrats/indies will have enough sense to not vote for him. Nader is a very smart man and I used to have a lot of respect for him, but he knows he can't win and that he'd only be taking votes from the Democratic candidate. The Democrats/indies/various Republicans who might be so inclined have to make getting Bush out of office their first priority.

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:28 PM
I agree with you pax. This is not 2000. There is an intensity and fire in the Democratic campaign this year that was not there in 2000. 2000 was a "good feelings era" campaign; 2004 is not. I personally know some people who voted for Nader in 2000 who are voting Democratic this year. If Nader does run he's not going to get as many votes.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Ralph Nader is too good of a person to be president. Here is somebody who devoted his life to fighting on behalf of the little guy.

I have a lot of respect for him and I would vote for him, because I believe the USA needs a viable third alternative.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:57 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I have a lot of respect for him and I would vote for him, because I believe the USA needs a viable third alternative.
Neither party will stand for this......
Old 02-21-2004, 01:28 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

That is why I feel sorry for you guys down south. We have 4 major parties up here in Canada. Western Europe is also categorized by choice. Hell, Eastern Europe has more choice than the Americans do when it comes to voting.

Is it true democracy to hunker down with two parties who are completely adverse to change? It's pretty sad.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Probably not, but a multi-party system is not going to crop up anytime soon, and certainly not if we get Bush back for another four years.

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:04 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
That is why I feel sorry for you guys down south. We have 4 major parties up here in Canada. Western Europe is also categorized by choice. Hell, Eastern Europe has more choice than the Americans do when it comes to voting.

Is it true democracy to hunker down with two parties who are completely adverse to change? It's pretty sad.
No. This is why I *wish* we had a parliamentary form of government. It'd be more democratic. It's not going to happen--and pax is right, change is certainly not going to happen with another four years of Bush.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:40 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Ralph Nader is too good of a person to be president. Here is somebody who devoted his life to fighting on behalf of the little guy.

I agree. I really like Ralph Nader. Is he planning on running Green, cause they've already got their candidates for the primary. I would have voted for him in the last election had i been old enough. I would vote for him this time if polls were showing that Kerry had a sizeable lead in my state, which is likely cause i live in CA and Gore had a good lead last time. I don't blame Nader for Gore losing, Gore should have been a better candidate if he had wanted those votes. I think it was so close last time because there were so many people that really weren't fond of either candidate.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:44 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

No, you don't want a parliamentary form of government, as it is, by design, one-party rule. The American federal form of government was designed to be obstructionist, as they were very cynical towards government, and, honestly, I don't blame them. I'm ashamed of most of the rejects we elect to be our "representatives" when our interests are on the bottom of their priority list.

But let's put it this way. If we had a parliamentary form of government right now, Bush and the GOP would have nothing stopping them from running over the nation with their agenda.

Nader is delusional. His idea of "making a statement" is derailing an election. Sorry to tell the Greens, but you're going nowhere and you will never get elected. Period. The Greens would be more effective if they swamped the Democratic Party and forced themselves into the agenda.

Melon
Old 02-21-2004, 07:16 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

You're probably right, melon, that the Greens could try to inflitrate the Dems - after all, all revolutions start from within.

The Greens will never get elected in the US, because Americans are far too conservative. The Greens have done very well in places like Scandinavia, on the other hand.

As for the parliamentary system - I think you're slightly exaggerating there. The way I see it, the American system is no better, because if you can show to me that there is a distinct difference between the Dems and the Republicans, I'd love to hear it. America is a country for the corporations, run by the corporations, regardless of who is in office. This is the reality. The system is no better than a parliamentary system at this point in time, sorry to say.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Perhaps the parliamentary system isn't as great as I think it'd be. I would like it if we had politics more like Canada, to be perfectly honest. This isn't going to happen. I have to settle for trying to get Bush out of office.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:31 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

For the record, I think Gore lost in 2000 mainly because he's a lousy politician. I think he's a bright guy but a crummy politician. Crummy politicians don't win presidential elections. I think blaming Nader for Gore's loss is a "blame-game" sort of thing that we Americans are maddeningly good at. It's so hard for us just to say "I screwed up" or "we screwed up". The press claimed this is what happened. But I'm sorry, I don't agree, and hell, I voted for Gore myself.