Ralph Nader - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2004, 10:01 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Gore just had to win his Home State...hehe...it is indeed his fault!

Old 02-21-2004, 11:46 PM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:06 AM
No I have to say Melon's assessment of the Parliamentarian system is quite correct. Anyone living in Ontario should know that it is one party rule. The Harris government rammed through so much legislation, streamlined (read: brutalized) the democratic process down to almost nothing, cut public servies almost down to nil (such that we had the Walerton disaster and the present state of affairs where my local hospital is bankrupt and is continuing to lay off staff even when they're running nurses on 12 hour shifts to fill all the hours with the few staff they have) thumbing his nose at the opposition teh whole way even going so far as to insult them. Harris ran roughshod over the entire democratic process because in the Parliamentarian system you can do that. It's a series of five year dictatorships. This comes from the fact that the cabinet was originally the monarch's governing council and as cabinet gained more and more of the executive powers of the monarch it became a power in and of itself. which ever party wins a majority and thus forms cabinet basically holds monarchal powers for five years, period. Why? Because in our system you vote with your party unless your leader is feeling generous and allows a free vote. And if you think you can vote against the party just look what happened to the Liberal MPs who tried to defy Chretien. Either kicked out of the party or left due to frost bite.

Hell Trudeau told us the benefits of parliamentarianism back in the 70's when he gave his reasons for preferring to be PM of Canada over bing US President. Becuase as PM in Canada as long as you can control your party and hold on to a sizable majority you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Old 02-22-2004, 02:50 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

What I said about the parliamentarian system of government is hardly revolutionary: that's how government textbooks describe the differences between this system and the American system of government ("representative democracy"; "federalism").

Canada and the U.S. essentially chose different systems on the basis of their historical experience, with the U.S. preferring obstruction over action, due to their immense distrust of government as a kind of "necessary evil," while Canada (as a dominion, at least) tried to learn from the mistakes of U.S. Civil War, which the Canadian "Founding Fathers" said was due to giving too much power to the states--hence, creating a government that was highly centralized in a national government.

Things, of course, have changed a bit since then (over time, provinces gained more power than originally envisioned), but the historical reasoning still remains true.

Melon
Old 02-22-2004, 05:18 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:06 AM
I agree, to an extent, with Melon about the parliamentary system, which Australia also has. I am not so inclined to call it one-party dictatorship, as you'd be surprised how far that is from the truth when the parliamentary majority is very slim (as it often is in the modern era)... but relatively speaking I would say the Australian Prime Minister exercises more unfettered control over his nation and his government's activities, far more, than does the President of the USA.

As for the Greens in America, I am not anti-them, I wish them good luck. I don't think presidential politics is the place to make their stand. I think they should target local elections, build up support at city and state level, secure some mayoralties, get a few congressment elected... who knows, thirty years from now they might be a huge threat to the centre. This is, after all, not so far from how the far-right whiteanted the Republican Party.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:26 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:06 AM
I should add, in the interests of accuracy, that in reality Australia has a slightly bastardised version of parliamentary government, owing to the presence of a US-style senate (rarely controlled by the same party as the lower house where the government sits).

I do find it slightly ironic that Westminster parliamentary democracy, although an offshoot of the old British government-by-monarch, and not particularly democratic in intent, is actually to my view less likely to lead to great overreaches of power than America's avowedly cautious system.

Of course I don't know the specifics of the Canadian example... parliament tends to differ wildly in its function and form among the former British Empire dominions.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:49 AM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
so true
Old 02-22-2004, 09:55 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Damn, I guess I don't want a parliamentary form of government. That much power for one person is scary.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:56 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Yes! There's something wrong with a campaign that doesn't even win the candidate's own home state. If the Democrats have a better candidate, they don't have to worry about Nader, they'll get the votes.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:02 PM   #24
Refugee

After actively supporting the Nader/LaDuke campaign of 2000, I'm proud that Ralph's sticking to his guns. Anyone with sense knows that Nader wasn't the sole or even the most significant factor in Bush's "victory".

While I support everything the man says, I also believe that he will barely make a smudge on the ballot. It's hard to say I'd vote for Kerry, but if it means getting Bush out of the White House, I'd be willing to ignore Nader on election day.

I think Nader would have served his cause better had he run as a democrat. He would have participated in the debates, been given exposure, etc. While he's message is admirable, his campaign is doomed...sadly. I wish he was the liberal option, but without the money and the corporate support, he's good as dead.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ign/index.html

If he causes Bush to win again, I hope he rots in hell. What an egocentric asshole, and I've lost all respect for him.

Melon
Old 02-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Let's look at a little history here. Jimmy Carter won in 1976 with an independent liberal, Eugene McCarthy, in the race. Some claimed that McCarthy's failure to get on the ballot in New York saved the situation for Carter. New York was very close between Ford and Carter. Carter had the South, but it was harder for him to win states outside of the South. He lost in California--in fact, Carter didn't win any Western states period. The race was a cliffhanger. If 8,000 votes had been changed in Ohio, Ford would have won. Each race is different. Nader is not going to have the Green Party apparatus with him, and it'll be harder for him to get on ballots. Nader could get more hell this year than votes.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:22 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
You're probably right, melon, that the Greens could try to inflitrate the Dems - after all, all revolutions start from within.

The Greens will never get elected in the US, because Americans are far too conservative. The Greens have done very well in places like Scandinavia, on the other hand.

As for the parliamentary system - I think you're slightly exaggerating there. The way I see it, the American system is no better, because if you can show to me that there is a distinct difference between the Dems and the Republicans, I'd love to hear it. America is a country for the corporations, run by the corporations, regardless of who is in office. This is the reality. The system is no better than a parliamentary system at this point in time, sorry to say.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:30 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
America is a country for the corporations, run by the corporations, regardless of who is in office. This is the reality.
When will we as Americans wake up to this reality? Or, are we comfortable with this reality.

God Bless the United States of Wal Mart
Old 02-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

"Why would you vote for Ralph Nader, to get a better warranty on your used car?"
-Lewis Black
Old 02-22-2004, 02:00 PM   #30
Babyface

The 2004 election year has yet to gear up into full steam. The Bush Team has 200 million dollars they have yet to dump into this campaign and Kerry and the Democrats have their fortune as well.

Most are predicting this will be the most ugly campaign in decades with attack after attack from both sides. This will create a huge backlash and will probably help Nadar a great deal. When its all said and done, I predict Nadar will get more votes than he did in 2000.

Who will actually win the election will also depend on who is more united, The Republicans or The Democrats.