Rain In The Northeast - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Rain In The Northeast

The joke going around here in Albany, NY is that soon we will need an Ark. We have been deluged with rain since April, and June has been the worst so far. 19 out of 26 days have been pouring rain. Across the Eastern Seaboard, I understand, it has been much worse. Share any Great '06 Flood stories and esp post some pics, anyone?

What is going on anyway? The global warming theries are floating aorund but I don't understand how that would work. And if anyone could dredge up some statistics on rainfall it would be great.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Could you share some of that rain with us? In Alabama we're not getting any rain and the crops are bone dry. Not good............

Old 06-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Refugee

I'd be happy to, but I'm not God., or even Goddess...Though some people would disagree....
Old 06-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:02 PM
All the rain has been insane. Last year it was record temps, now this.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

i have never seen so much rain in my life.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

where was all the precip this past winter? No snow at all in New England - Mother Nature owes me bigtime
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

For the last 4 days it's been nothing but rain here. It's making up for all the snow we didn't get this winter.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:02 PM
No pics. But we're flooding here--mandatory evacuations, curfews, National Guard, a couple of deaths--towns under water, bridges destroyed, mud slides and waiting to see that the Susquehanna doesn't crest over the dam here. I'm safe, but we're bailing groundwater like crazy.

It hasn't rained since 10 am. That's good. We're getting all that New York water pouring in here.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:13 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 PM
I was just in Arizona over the weekend near the Sedona fire. Extremes everywhere.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Since so many of our companies are closed right now and there isn't going to be a quick permanent fix, anybody know how to temporarily quell groundwater seepage. We're talking bailing hundreds of buckets over the last 24 hours. Seems to be one basement floor crack that's the problem, but blocking it isn't helping tons. Help!
Old 06-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The dams held, but the lowlying areas got hit hard. People returning now to the "urban" parts of the area. Worst of it appears over.

Tiny geography lesson--the river is pronounced Susquehannah, not Susquehawna as the networks and cable would have you believe.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by tiny dancer
For the last 4 days it's been nothing but rain here. It's making up for all the snow we didn't get this winter.
we need it!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:14 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:02 PM
I hope the rain stops soon. It was terrible here in Northern CA. A few months ago we had non stop rain for a while. Over in Half Moon Bay CA, Highway 1 is closed until November. Lots of business are suffering. Some are only making 20 bucks a day in sales.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Stay safe everyone

New England had terrible flooding in May and there is still flooding when it rains because the ground is so saturated
Old 06-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #15
Refugee

Glad to see you're OK, Bono'sSaint. Though I truly pity anybody with a basement or goundwater flooding like you have. UGH.

By pics, I didn't necessarily mean your own, but if someone could put up some of the pics that have been in the major papers the past few days. There's one on the front page of Today's NY Times of Binghamtion, NY...parts of the place (and much of Penn, NJ and NY State) that look like post-Katrina Orleans, I kid you not. The pics is of a lone house sumbmerged in a sea of brown water...it's actually a house that got ripped off its foundations and was sailing along with, tragically, a 15 yr old girl in it.

So far there have been 12-15 deaths (including three college-age dumbbells who decided to go sailing on a Sealy mattress and got swept away). It's funny, but here in Albany, we seem to be right at the extreme northeastern tip of this great sluggish behemoth. They had a chart in the paer today with amounts of rainfall per city in the NE, and a map of the affected areas. We have been averaging a measly 2 1/2 inches of rain a day the past week. That's the second lowest on the list (Troy, right next to us, is lowest with a little over 2.) Paradoxically, the village of Delmar, only 5 or 6 miles south of me, got about 4 inches Monday (!!). That's the most extreme weather we've seen since a full-blown tornado ripped through Altamont 4 yrs ago and caused extensive damage. (only 10 minutes south of me, yikes.) Albany has had no major flooding, though there have been some bridges and underpasses and streets closed down a few hrs a day..minor flooding. Yesterday part of my street about a block away was closed down between noon and 5 PM. People coming along to the barricades with cameras to take pics. Bizarre.

We should count our blessings, though. The real story is downstate. Binghamton looks like it was hit by a tsunami..unprecidented. That's about 45 mins northwest of NYC, and 2 hrs from me. A truck driver in his rig fell into a 25-ft hole that opened in the middle of I-88...that's going to be closed a while,, and allof I-90 between Schenectady and Syracuse (that's most of the central state) shut down most of yesterday. Guess my uncle won't want to leave out house in the Finger Lakes soon. And that reminds me.....I have to call my aunt, she lives in Catskill, the Catskill Mts towns which got some pretty heavy damage yesterday....I think Parts of Delware and Maryland got 14 inches of rain in 24 hrs Monday (!!!),

We too had a mild winter. Hardly any snow at all. They say this is all being caused by a stalled front off the Atlantic seaboard, I wonder how this is supposed to work? El Nino thunderstorms anyone? I'm not ready to say "global warming" yet.

ugh. I look out the window, it's starting to rain...not kidding. Yesterday we folks actually had a warm and sunnt afternoon between 1 PM and 8. I sat ourside in the hot sun for 3 hrs (no sunblock) and kept my tan going. Now back to the real world....

I pray for everyone who has suffered any damage or has been affected..esp you Bonos Saint. This stinks.