Rain In The Northeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teta040

Refugee
The joke going around here in Albany, NY is that soon we will need an Ark. We have been deluged with rain since April, and June has been the worst so far. 19 out of 26 days have been pouring rain. Across the Eastern Seaboard, I understand, it has been much worse. Share any Great '06 Flood stories and esp post some pics, anyone?

What is going on anyway? The global warming theries are floating aorund but I don't understand how that would work. And if anyone could dredge up some statistics on rainfall it would be great.

Could you share some of that rain with us? In Alabama we're not getting any rain and the crops are bone dry. Not good............

I'd be happy to, but I'm not God., or even Goddess...:)Though some people would disagree....:wink:

No pics. But we're flooding here--mandatory evacuations, curfews, National Guard, a couple of deaths--towns under water, bridges destroyed, mud slides and waiting to see that the Susquehanna doesn't crest over the dam here. I'm safe, but we're bailing groundwater like crazy.

It hasn't rained since 10 am. That's good. We're getting all that New York water pouring in here.

I was just in Arizona over the weekend near the Sedona fire. Extremes everywhere. :(

Since so many of our companies are closed right now and there isn't going to be a quick permanent fix, anybody know how to temporarily quell groundwater seepage. We're talking bailing hundreds of buckets over the last 24 hours. Seems to be one basement floor crack that's the problem, but blocking it isn't helping tons. Help!

The dams held, but the lowlying areas got hit hard. People returning now to the "urban" parts of the area. Worst of it appears over.

Tiny geography lesson--the river is pronounced Susquehannah, not Susquehawna as the networks and cable would have you believe.

I hope the rain stops soon. It was terrible here in Northern CA. A few months ago we had non stop rain for a while. Over in Half Moon Bay CA, Highway 1 is closed until November. Lots of business are suffering. Some are only making 20 bucks a day in sales.

Glad to see you're OK, Bono'sSaint. Though I truly pity anybody with a basement or goundwater flooding like you have. UGH.

By pics, I didn't necessarily mean your own, but if someone could put up some of the pics that have been in the major papers the past few days. There's one on the front page of Today's NY Times of Binghamtion, NY...parts of the place (and much of Penn, NJ and NY State) that look like post-Katrina Orleans, I kid you not. The pics is of a lone house sumbmerged in a sea of brown water...it's actually a house that got ripped off its foundations and was sailing along with, tragically, a 15 yr old girl in it.

So far there have been 12-15 deaths (including three college-age dumbbells who decided to go sailing on a Sealy mattress and got swept away). It's funny, but here in Albany, we seem to be right at the extreme northeastern tip of this great sluggish behemoth. They had a chart in the paer today with amounts of rainfall per city in the NE, and a map of the affected areas. We have been averaging a measly 2 1/2 inches of rain a day the past week. That's the second lowest on the list (Troy, right next to us, is lowest with a little over 2.) Paradoxically, the village of Delmar, only 5 or 6 miles south of me, got about 4 inches Monday (!!). That's the most extreme weather we've seen since a full-blown tornado ripped through Altamont 4 yrs ago and caused extensive damage. (only 10 minutes south of me, yikes.) Albany has had no major flooding, though there have been some bridges and underpasses and streets closed down a few hrs a day..minor flooding. Yesterday part of my street about a block away was closed down between noon and 5 PM. People coming along to the barricades with cameras to take pics. Bizarre.

We should count our blessings, though. The real story is downstate. Binghamton looks like it was hit by a tsunami..unprecidented. That's about 45 mins northwest of NYC, and 2 hrs from me. A truck driver in his rig fell into a 25-ft hole that opened in the middle of I-88...that's going to be closed a while,, and allof I-90 between Schenectady and Syracuse (that's most of the central state) shut down most of yesterday. Guess my uncle won't want to leave out house in the Finger Lakes soon. And that reminds me.....I have to call my aunt, she lives in Catskill, the Catskill Mts towns which got some pretty heavy damage yesterday....I think Parts of Delware and Maryland got 14 inches of rain in 24 hrs Monday (!!!),

We too had a mild winter. Hardly any snow at all. They say this is all being caused by a stalled front off the Atlantic seaboard, I wonder how this is supposed to work? El Nino thunderstorms anyone? I'm not ready to say "global warming" yet.

ugh. I look out the window, it's starting to rain...not kidding. Yesterday we folks actually had a warm and sunnt afternoon between 1 PM and 8. I sat ourside in the hot sun for 3 hrs (no sunblock) and kept my tan going. Now back to the real world....:mad:

I pray for everyone who has suffered any damage or has been affected..esp you Bonos Saint. This stinks.

Last edited:
Thanks. Ours was just an absolute annoyance, nothing compared to some of the area.

The dikes that held here just made the water hit harder for the areas below. We'll know more in a day or two how much damage there really was around. We were lucky. A lot of other people weren't, but it could have been much worse. Agnes was a definite bitch.

Hurricane Agnes? Was that what whalpoed us 5 yrs ago or so?

Glad to know you're OK, BonosSaint...you're right, where you and I were, we were lucky. Poor Jersey etc...though did I say "Albany got no major flooding"? Wrong. We got a little taste of it last night. It was starting to rain when I signed off and that proved to be the worst of it for us. The Mohawk rose, two of the locks on the Erie Canal between Syracuse and Schenectady burst and in my area there was some pretty heavy damage. Now most of the Erie Canal is shut down. Golfball-sized hail fell between 6 and 7 PM last night (I know it was that big b/c on the news people had emailed in pics of hail pellets next to a golf ball (!). Just 3 miles from my front door, people were getting around in boats and a popular outdoor resturant where my family eats a lot in summer was underwater. There is a gazebo next to it, on the banks of the Mohawk, and it was almost completely submerged--I'd say 10 feet deep. My poor kid sis called me hysterical after seeing the news and wondered why she hadn't been evacuated...the Mohawk practically goes past her front door. Some pretty heavy stuff for us. Thousands without power. On the news they said that we established an all-time record--the wettest June since records began to be kept here in the 1770's--14 inches. The previous record for the most rain was from 1862.

Dangit....I always miss all the fun....:(

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
The joke going around here in Albany, NY is that soon we will need an Ark. We have been deluged with rain since April, and June has been the worst so far. 19 out of 26 days have been pouring rain. Across the Eastern Seaboard, I understand, it has been much worse. Share any Great '06 Flood stories and esp post some pics, anyone?

What is going on anyway? The global warming theries are floating aorund but I don't understand how that would work. And if anyone could dredge up some statistics on rainfall it would be great.

I hope you have remained safe during this time. The L.A. Times ran a picture of an airfield that looked like a small island.

It is interesting that you mention all the global warming theories floating around. Like a good horoscope, the global warming community has a theory to fit every weather pattern we face – all of which conveniently point back to man made climate change. A form of “all weather outrage”.

Oh, shit, Teta, sounds wicked. Glad you're safe. Hope everyone is. All that damage. Weather is a wicked son of a bitch.

Agnes was in '72. We still have waterlines marking the water level on the buildings and every so many years we have commemorative articles (OK, nothing much happens here.)

Glad to hear that everyone is OK. We nearly broke a rainfall record here in the Northwest this winter (28 dreary days), but it was for days of measurable precipitation a row rather than quantity. Mostly we just live with overcast skies and light rain as a matter of course. I hope those that had flood damage are able to come out of it without too much trouble.

Back
Top Bottom