Rain In The Northeast - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 06-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:59 AM
Thanks. Ours was just an absolute annoyance, nothing compared to some of the area.

The dikes that held here just made the water hit harder for the areas below. We'll know more in a day or two how much damage there really was around. We were lucky. A lot of other people weren't, but it could have been much worse. Agnes was a definite bitch.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #17
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Hurricane Agnes? Was that what whalpoed us 5 yrs ago or so?

Glad to know you're OK, BonosSaint...you're right, where you and I were, we were lucky. Poor Jersey etc...though did I say "Albany got no major flooding"? Wrong. We got a little taste of it last night. It was starting to rain when I signed off and that proved to be the worst of it for us. The Mohawk rose, two of the locks on the Erie Canal between Syracuse and Schenectady burst and in my area there was some pretty heavy damage. Now most of the Erie Canal is shut down. Golfball-sized hail fell between 6 and 7 PM last night (I know it was that big b/c on the news people had emailed in pics of hail pellets next to a golf ball (!). Just 3 miles from my front door, people were getting around in boats and a popular outdoor resturant where my family eats a lot in summer was underwater. There is a gazebo next to it, on the banks of the Mohawk, and it was almost completely submerged--I'd say 10 feet deep. My poor kid sis called me hysterical after seeing the news and wondered why she hadn't been evacuated...the Mohawk practically goes past her front door. Some pretty heavy stuff for us. Thousands without power. On the news they said that we established an all-time record--the wettest June since records began to be kept here in the 1770's--14 inches. The previous record for the most rain was from 1862.

Dangit....I always miss all the fun....

Old 06-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Teta040
The joke going around here in Albany, NY is that soon we will need an Ark. We have been deluged with rain since April, and June has been the worst so far. 19 out of 26 days have been pouring rain. Across the Eastern Seaboard, I understand, it has been much worse. Share any Great '06 Flood stories and esp post some pics, anyone?

What is going on anyway? The global warming theries are floating aorund but I don't understand how that would work. And if anyone could dredge up some statistics on rainfall it would be great.
I hope you have remained safe during this time. The L.A. Times ran a picture of an airfield that looked like a small island.

It is interesting that you mention all the global warming theories floating around. Like a good horoscope, the global warming community has a theory to fit every weather pattern we face – all of which conveniently point back to man made climate change. A form of “all weather outrage”.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Oh, shit, Teta, sounds wicked. Glad you're safe. Hope everyone is. All that damage. Weather is a wicked son of a bitch.

Agnes was in '72. We still have waterlines marking the water level on the buildings and every so many years we have commemorative articles (OK, nothing much happens here.)
Old 07-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
I'm SICK of the rain.....anyone need some?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #21
War Child
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Glad to hear that everyone is OK. We nearly broke a rainfall record here in the Northwest this winter (28 dreary days), but it was for days of measurable precipitation a row rather than quantity. Mostly we just live with overcast skies and light rain as a matter of course. I hope those that had flood damage are able to come out of it without too much trouble.