Radio is dead in New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It did not seem so bad that Howard Stern is going to Sattellite, but now K-Rock, the last actual rock music station is going to be converted into a talk station after his departure.

I cannot believe this.

New York will no longer have an actual rock station.

Radio sucks.

"...Stern's departure also led Infinity to launch new programming dubbed FREE FM, a talk format that began Tuesday in Philadelphia and San Diego. Another seven stations will eventually join the FREE FM brigade, including WXRK-FM in New York _ long a mainstay of rock music in the nation's No. 1 radio market.

K-Rock, as the station was known, will make the switch when Roth arrives..."

Roth being David Lee Roth that is.

This is so shitty.

:|

We have four rock stations in Birmingham. This is very strange, this is a really small, conservative market. Maybe that's why we don't get talk stations, we don't have any talk format stations that I know of.

verte76 said:
We have four rock stations in Birmingham. This is very strange, this is a really small, conservative market. Maybe that's why we don't get talk stations, we don't have any talk format stations that I know of.

I think it's more unusual you don't have talk stations...since most of talk radio is very conservative.

U2democrat said:

I think it's more unusual you don't have talk stations...since most of talk radio is very conservative.

I investigated the matter, we do have talk radio, not surprisingly it's very conservative. We have some not-so-conservative rock stations, too, which is really strange. We have so many radio stations that there aren't any frequencies available for new stations.

nbcrusader said:
We lost KLSX 97.1 to the talk format when Stern started his syndication. I guess there is more money in talk than music.

It's more like there is less money spent in talk radio than there is money made. Radio, in general, is highly unprofitable, and it's amazing that it has stayed in business.

Melon

The only radio worth listening to in Canada is the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). The rest of it is utterly shitty and filled with commercials...:barf:

Commercial radio in general is crap. Has been for years.

I ignore it.

melon said:

Radio, in general, is highly unprofitable, and it's amazing that it has stayed in business.

Melon

Depends on your position, I might add. Indie Promo is said to be highly profitable :D ;) - same for Clear Channel and the like.

Where I live, capital region NY, the radio is devestatingly bad. I actually get headaches in the car, when I'm trying to find something good.

I haven't heard U2 in a month or so :shrug: :(

A year ago I drove cross country with a friend in a Uhaul and we were stuck with radio the whole trip. Man oh man, I cannot believe the garbage that radio has become. We have a really good station here in New Mexico. HTDAAB was released the day we started our journey and I heard two songs from it (Vertigo and Sometimes...) on the NM station before we were out of range and also listened to Amy Goodman on "Democracy Now." That was the last decent thing we heard on the radio the whole trip. All across America, no one was playing the brand new U2 record or anything even remotely interesting. It was really depressing.

I agree that radio generally sucks EVERYwhere, but no I really see no point in it when New York City does not have a rock station anymore.

I mean that just does not make sense to me.

I have a friend who helped start SIRIUS. He has long since moved on, maybe he should have stayed...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
my radio hasn't moved off of AM in a couple of weeks... FM radio just isn't worth listening to anymore. i'm on a permanent rotation between WFAN, ESPN1050, 1010WINS and WCBS

yeah me too

But I do have to say, that Jack FM is entertaining. They play anything they want which means that they play Tom Petty, followed by Chaka Kahn, followed by Dave Matthews, followed by the Thompson Twins....it's all over the map.

Back
Top Bottom