Racism Is Alive And Well In New Orleans Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Not to single out New Orleans, I'm quite sure this crap exists in plenty of other places. Sometimes you have to wonder if it really is 2005

By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS - If you're black and belly up to a bar on Bourbon Street, be forewarned: You run a 50-50 chance of either being charged more or being forced to order a minimum number of drinks.

Those are the findings of a study done for the city in the wake of the death of a black college student who died in a scuffle with white bouncers outside a bar on the famous French Quarter thoroughfare.

The study, conducted by the Greater New Orleans Fair Housing Action Center, paired black and white men of similar body type, dress and manner, and sent them into bars within minutes of each other.

Of the 28 bars visited, 40 percent charged the black customers more for drinks. A white man, for example, bought a Long Island iced tea for $7.50, while the black man was charged $9, according to James Perry, executive director of the private, nonprofit housing center.

Ten percent of the bars informed the blacks — but not the whites — that there was a drink minimum, and 7 percent told their black customers that they would have to meet a dress code.

The report recommended the city take several steps, including investigating discrimination at bars and enforcing civil rights laws through litigation.

"This is 2005, not 1964, and this will not be tolerated," said Larry Bagneris, executive director of the New Orleans Human Relations Commission.

The city attorney is also working on an ordinance regulating mandatory sensitivity training for all bar employees, use-of-force standards and the need for bouncers to immediately turn any situation over to police, said the office of Mayor Ray Nagin.

Levon Jones, a student at Georgia Southern University, together with a friend were in New Orleans on New Year's Eve and went to Razzo Bar and Patio, a popular French Quarter club. The friend was allegedly denied admission because he did not meet the club's dress code.

A scuffle ensued and Jones, 25, died after one bouncer held him in a headlock for 12 minutes, while another pushed down on his back and a third held his legs. The bouncers were later charged with negligent homicide. The coroner said Jones suffocated.

Who even thinks of doing things like this? A price is a price-I sure don't think "Hey I'll charge this guy more." Still some idiots in this world, that's for sure. Reminds me of the newsmagazines on TV sending hidden cameras in with blacks while shopping. They were either ignored or followed. :mad:

I once caught a bartender selling me drinks for more than the pretty blonde next to me. We were ordering the exact same thing, so I called him out on it. He then acted flustered but then ended up giving me free drinks after I asked to speak to the manager.

High School Teacher in Trouble Over Blackface Incident

Students Reportedly Suggested Outfit

POSTED: 1:25 pm EDT April 6, 2005

MACON -- A high school social studies teacher faces firing after dressing in blackface during a student-faculty basketball game.

Bibb County Schools Superintendent Sharon Patterson said she has recommended that teacher Greg Dougherty be fired.

Photographs from the March 25 game show Dougherty wearing an exaggerated, Afro-style wig with brownish makeup covering his face and arms. A student also is pictured wearing brown makeup on his face and arms.

Erin Weaver, principal at Central High School, confirmed that Dougherty is on administrative leave and had been recommended for termination "for mimicking an African-American."

Allison Boggs, 17, a senior at Central High, said Tuesday that students in one of Dougherty's classes suggested the outfit.

When he asked students if it would be insensitive to appear in blackface, they assured him it wouldn't, said Boggs, who did not attend the game.

Contacted at his home by The Macon Telegraph, Dougherty declined to comment.

Patterson declined to comment further on the case before a hearing takes place. Weaver also said she could not comment because Dougherty's termination is in process.

Boggs said an assistant principal made a public apology for the incident Tuesday during morning announcements.

Jeffrey Daniel, 18, another senior at Central High, praised Dougherty, saying he has "done wonders for the community and the school."

"He's an amazing teacher who can even get a class excited about economics," Daniel said. "He cares a lot about students."

Daniel said he didn't attend the game, but was sure Dougherty "didn't mean anything malicious in this."

Patterson said she first heard of the incident in the middle of last week but did not begin her investigation until Monday, when classes resumed after spring break.

If Dougherty does not respond in writing to his suspension in 10 days, he automatically will be terminated, she said.

Back
Top Bottom