Racism in Alberta, Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Disgusting.

I found it a little funny that Cowboys (i've been there), a bar stereotypically considered the most "redneck," let them in, while all the other nightclubby (and culturally diverse) bars didn't.

I used to live in Calgary. It's a very multicultural community. I went to most of those bars...never a problem.

But, uh, maybe my skin color wasn't dark enough for doormen/managers to bother giving me a hard time. Who knows how their Neandrathal brains work?

fucking calgarians. and their hockey team sucks too.:down:

seriously, that's pretty awful, but i'm not surprised. as a brown girl living in alberta, i've experienced racism all over this province, from subtle stereotyping to overt, hate-filled ignorance.

i used to not get too worried about it, saying that i'd see those assholes when they're serving me fries as mcdonald's. but nowadays, with the booming oil economy, any highschool drop-out redneck can get an oil rig job starting at $70K/year. and with the influx of semi-educated people into the province because of the high demand for labourers, i can't see the racism problem getting any better.

This was pretty horrible. I also thought it was ironic that the only bar they got into was Cowboys.

I sometimes think that London (Ont.) is backwards but honestly that is unreal.

It probably doesn't help that biggest story to hit Ont. is Tim Hortons people getting paid a shit load of $$$ in Alta., so the people who normally wouldn't bother their asses to get a job here and would live on attitude and welfare, are heading your way. Sorry about that, but I can't say we want them back either.

Another annoying thing is sexist admission policies into nightclubs, which I've seen in major cities like New York, Miami, DC, etc. At some clubs, they had higher cover prices for men and at other places they limited the number of men they allowed in. It kind of sucks if you're not there with women.

I'm not sure why clubs feel that they can do this legally.

ntalwar said:
I'm not sure why clubs feel that they can do this legally.

Because if you complain about it, they'll have their hired, off-duty cop call in a patrol unit to have you arrested for "public drunkenness," and if you haven't been drinking, they'll have you hauled in for "disorderly conduct." Also, the nightclubs usually maintain very good relationships with the police officers who patrol their area (especially since they employ some of them after-hours). You are SOL if you try to go up against it.

I was curious if the TV station's follow-up story has been posted on the web? I would love to hear what the thugs, excuse me, club owners, have to say about the altercations that were caught on tape.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:

Because if you complain about it, they'll have their hired, off-duty cop call in a patrol unit to have you arrested for "public drunkenness," and if you haven't been drinking, they'll have you hauled in for "disorderly conduct."

I'm not sure that police enforce discrimination laws much anyway, in general. That's more an issue for local/state/federal government prosecutors.

Back
Top Bottom