racism - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Babyface

Location: Western Maryland. aka where you're born, but never where you die.
Local Time: 11:53 AM
racism

there were some people sitting behind me on the bus talking about 'why is it that all niggers like fried chicken?' and all this other f ing crap. they were sitting just behind me, and i was saying (rather loudly) 'god, sometimes i would just like to punch narrow-minded people' the bad thing is, right next to me, one of my best friends was sitting (who happens to be black) and i think that was the only reason they were saying those things.
i would have turned around and hit them, but then i would have been on bus suspension, and my mom doesn't get up until i have to go out for the bus, and she would be none too happy about that. god, they pissed me off, though.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:49 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 AM
violence is never the answer

i am beginning to think racism
is self-hatred manifested towards others

Old 10-01-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Babyface

amen that.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:36 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:23 PM
I was on the bus before and these hicks were yelling at a chinese fellow. Calling him a gook and chink and whatever else they could think of.

it was an eye opening experience because I never thought racism existed on my secluded island...it's very sad.

I blame racism here, especially against chinese people, on "jokes". The kind that make fun of other races. Growing up in a small town ones only connection with other races is through these demeaning jokes, and that effects how you look at them when you actually meet them.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:33 AM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Its such an ugly thing. I'm sorry your friend heard all that igloolik. It must have been pretty awful for him/her.
Interesting what you say about racism and jokes Bassy. It seems some things are deemed as a racist remark regardless and it seems to be with certain groups only.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:41 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:53 PM
I was really shocked to hear a guy in my class saying one day that the chinese ppl were taking all the jobs that he wanted and he hated them - im putting it politely.

I never spoke to him again. I guess I was a bit naive and never really thought ppl were like that here. There is more a problem with biggots than racists.

I met a black girl in my class yesterday and she said she wanted skin and hair like mine, Im really really pale and have wavy hair and I said I wanted to look like her because she has this great afro hair and I think darker ppl are prettier. She laughed and said her family suffered lots of racist abuse and have had to move house 4 times in 3 years and she wished everyone thought like me.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:10 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Really, there are two things we can do: (1) Verbally confront those who are using the racist language and (2) come along side those who are subject to the discrimination.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:59 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:53 PM
Yuck. Ugly stuff. I grew up in a place where there was tons of racism. We even had the worst racist "jokes" in the world on the playground at school! I'll bet some of these people are still racists. It's horrible.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:30 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Really, there are two things we can do: (1) Verbally confront those who are using the racist language and (2) come along side those who are subject to the discrimination.
*Nods*

Luckily, for the most part, the areas I've lived in have been pretty free of racism, but I do remember in my old town hearing comments about the Mexicans there-my old town was predominantly white, but there were some Mexicans that didn't live too far from me, and I remember some kids at school would make comments that made it seem like they felt uneasy around them, and I heard one girl talking once about how her sister got some crap for going out with a Mexican, and things like that. It irritated me.

I can't believe that there's still people in this world who are racist. I can't believe that people are still so focused on skin colors. I can't believe people still haven't learned from people like Martin Luther King, Jr. and tried to make his dream a reality. It's 2003 and the 21st century, people. Grow up. Argh. .

I don't blame you for feeling an urge to smack those people upside the head, igloolik. No, violence is not the answer...but still...

Angela
Old 10-03-2003, 11:55 AM   #10
Refugee

racists=douchebags, fuck em.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:29 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

True story....

North Carolina....To enter the bars where I was stationed one year after Desert Storm you had to be a member of the club to enter the Bar. To be a member someone had to sponsor you. Guess what the pre-requisite was to be a member?

Another true story....playing pool off duty....four of us get surrounded in a pool hall by 8-10 guys while we are playing. They were not happy that one of the men I was in the service with happened to be black.

Racism is alive and well......
Old 10-03-2003, 06:31 PM   #12
Babyface

racism is never 'well'
Old 10-03-2003, 06:57 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The town I grew up in used to be mostly white, but within the past decade or so a lot of immigrants from Mexico have moved there. My best friend from high school made some comment to me about how she now longer liked going to such-and-such a place she used to hang out at because there were now "too many Mexicans there." I was shocked because I had never thought of her as being a racist or bigot. I told her I thought that was a terrible thing to say, and she tried to backtrack and said she didn't have a problem with the girls, just the guys. (Yeah, like that somehow makes what she said OK).

Unfortunately, a lot of people in my hometown think the same way she does.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:02 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I just found out very recently that my uncle (by marriage) is a big time racist, and me and my parents had absolutely no idea. My parents went up to visit the aunt and him a few weeks ago and he was talking about "chinks and zipper heads" (which really surprised me because my cousin's husband is half philipino, I can't imagine what he must think of him, though I've never seen any hostility). And when he and my dad were alone he said that he "HATED niggers" and thought that my dad was going to agree with him for some reason. My dad was absolutely shocked and said that my uncle was dead serious.
I always thought that he was a nice man, but now I'll never be able to look at him in the same way again
Old 10-04-2003, 01:46 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
The town I grew up in used to be mostly white, but within the past decade or so a lot of immigrants from Mexico have moved there. My best friend from high school made some comment to me about how she now longer liked going to such-and-such a place she used to hang out at because there were now "too many Mexicans there." I was shocked because I had never thought of her as being a racist or bigot. I told her I thought that was a terrible thing to say, and she tried to backtrack and said she didn't have a problem with the girls, just the guys. (Yeah, like that somehow makes what she said OK).

Unfortunately, a lot of people in my hometown think the same way she does.
That's kind of how the kids in my old town would act-most of the comments came about the Mexican guys and not the Mexican girls.

ILuvLarryMullen, I can relate with the family thing-my grandparents, according to what my parents told me, were ignorant when it came to race, too. My mom told me about how she'd always hear her mom say that this black friend of my mom's was "pretty for a black girl".

And my dad recalled one time when he brought a black friend of his home from school. His mom actually closed all the curtains in the house, so that anybody passing by wouldn't know that there was a black person in her home. My dad's friend left because he felt uneasy there, and my dad said he was so angry with his mom for doing that.

I don't ever remember my grandparents (the ones who were left when I was alive, that is) ever saying racist things when I was around. I just started finding out how they were within the last couple of years. It came as a shock to me, because I remember whenever I'd visit my grandma (my mom's mother), I'd always talk about a friend of mine from elementary school that was black, and my grandma never said anything around me. So I'd had no idea how they felt for so long.

Angela