racism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

igloolik

Babyface
Western Maryland. aka where you're born, but never
there were some people sitting behind me on the bus talking about 'why is it that all niggers like fried chicken?' and all this other f:censored: ing crap. they were sitting just behind me, and i was saying (rather loudly) 'god, sometimes i would just like to punch narrow-minded people' the bad thing is, right next to me, one of my best friends was sitting (who happens to be black) and i think that was the only reason they were saying those things.:mad: :mad: :censored: :mad: :mad: :scream: :rant: :yell:
i would have turned around and hit them, but then i would have been on bus suspension, and my mom doesn't get up until i have to go out for the bus, and she would be none too happy about that. god, they pissed me off, though.

violence is never the answer

i am beginning to think racism
is self-hatred manifested towards others

Last edited:
I was on the bus before and these hicks were yelling at a chinese fellow. Calling him a gook and chink and whatever else they could think of.

it was an eye opening experience because I never thought racism existed on my secluded island...it's very sad.

I blame racism here, especially against chinese people, on "jokes". The kind that make fun of other races. Growing up in a small town ones only connection with other races is through these demeaning jokes, and that effects how you look at them when you actually meet them.

Its such an ugly thing. I'm sorry your friend heard all that igloolik. It must have been pretty awful for him/her.
Interesting what you say about racism and jokes Bassy. It seems some things are deemed as a racist remark regardless and it seems to be with certain groups only.

I was really shocked to hear a guy in my class saying one day that the chinese ppl were taking all the jobs that he wanted and he hated them - im putting it politely.

I never spoke to him again. I guess I was a bit naive and never really thought ppl were like that here. There is more a problem with biggots than racists.

I met a black girl in my class yesterday and she said she wanted skin and hair like mine, Im really really pale and have wavy hair and I said I wanted to look like her because she has this great afro hair and I think darker ppl are prettier. She laughed and said her family suffered lots of racist abuse and have had to move house 4 times in 3 years and she wished everyone thought like me.

Really, there are two things we can do: (1) Verbally confront those who are using the racist language and (2) come along side those who are subject to the discrimination.

Yuck. Ugly stuff. I grew up in a place where there was tons of racism. We even had the worst racist "jokes" in the world on the playground at school! I'll bet some of these people are still racists. It's horrible. :mad: :mad: :rant: :yell: :censored: :censored: :censored:

nbcrusader said:
Really, there are two things we can do: (1) Verbally confront those who are using the racist language and (2) come along side those who are subject to the discrimination.

*Nods*

Luckily, for the most part, the areas I've lived in have been pretty free of racism, but I do remember in my old town hearing comments about the Mexicans there-my old town was predominantly white, but there were some Mexicans that didn't live too far from me, and I remember some kids at school would make comments that made it seem like they felt uneasy around them, and I heard one girl talking once about how her sister got some crap for going out with a Mexican, and things like that. It irritated me.

I can't believe that there's still people in this world who are racist. I can't believe that people are still so focused on skin colors. I can't believe people still haven't learned from people like Martin Luther King, Jr. and tried to make his dream a reality. It's 2003 and the 21st century, people. Grow up. Argh. :banghead: :rant:.

I don't blame you for feeling an urge to smack those people upside the head, igloolik. No, violence is not the answer...but still...

Angela

True story....

North Carolina....To enter the bars where I was stationed one year after Desert Storm you had to be a member of the club to enter the Bar. To be a member someone had to sponsor you. Guess what the pre-requisite was to be a member?

Another true story....playing pool off duty....four of us get surrounded in a pool hall by 8-10 guys while we are playing. They were not happy that one of the men I was in the service with happened to be black.

Racism is alive and well......

The town I grew up in used to be mostly white, but within the past decade or so a lot of immigrants from Mexico have moved there. My best friend from high school made some comment to me about how she now longer liked going to such-and-such a place she used to hang out at because there were now "too many Mexicans there." I was shocked because I had never thought of her as being a racist or bigot. I told her I thought that was a terrible thing to say, and she tried to backtrack and said she didn't have a problem with the girls, just the guys. (Yeah, like that somehow makes what she said OK).

Unfortunately, a lot of people in my hometown think the same way she does.

I just found out very recently that my uncle (by marriage) is a big time racist, and me and my parents had absolutely no idea. My parents went up to visit the aunt and him a few weeks ago and he was talking about "chinks and zipper heads" (which really surprised me because my cousin's husband is half philipino, I can't imagine what he must think of him, though I've never seen any hostility). And when he and my dad were alone he said that he "HATED niggers" and thought that my dad was going to agree with him for some reason. My dad was absolutely shocked and said that my uncle was dead serious.
I always thought that he was a nice man, but now I'll never be able to look at him in the same way again :tsk: :censored:

Bono's shades said:
The town I grew up in used to be mostly white, but within the past decade or so a lot of immigrants from Mexico have moved there. My best friend from high school made some comment to me about how she now longer liked going to such-and-such a place she used to hang out at because there were now "too many Mexicans there." I was shocked because I had never thought of her as being a racist or bigot. I told her I thought that was a terrible thing to say, and she tried to backtrack and said she didn't have a problem with the girls, just the guys. (Yeah, like that somehow makes what she said OK).

Unfortunately, a lot of people in my hometown think the same way she does.

That's kind of how the kids in my old town would act-most of the comments came about the Mexican guys and not the Mexican girls.

ILuvLarryMullen, I can relate with the family thing-my grandparents, according to what my parents told me, were ignorant when it came to race, too. My mom told me about how she'd always hear her mom say that this black friend of my mom's was "pretty for a black girl".

:confused:...

And my dad recalled one time when he brought a black friend of his home from school. His mom actually closed all the curtains in the house, so that anybody passing by wouldn't know that there was a black person in her home. My dad's friend left because he felt uneasy there, and my dad said he was so angry with his mom for doing that.

I don't ever remember my grandparents (the ones who were left when I was alive, that is) ever saying racist things when I was around. I just started finding out how they were within the last couple of years. It came as a shock to me, because I remember whenever I'd visit my grandma (my mom's mother), I'd always talk about a friend of mine from elementary school that was black, and my grandma never said anything around me. So I'd had no idea how they felt for so long.

Angela

ILuvLarryMullen said:
I just found out very recently that my uncle (by marriage) is a big time racist, and me and my parents had absolutely no idea. My parents went up to visit the aunt and him a few weeks ago and he was talking about "chinks and zipper heads"

Zipperheads?? Never heard of that racist term. Who does that refer to? :|

I always remember this one time I was sitting in a pub with my Dad and a group of his friends. One of them started making some extremely racist comments, which I don't intend to repeat here. I immediately said that I absolutely disagreed with him and explained why, and I expected that my Dad was going to agree with me and tell his friend why his comments were wrong. Guess what? He stayed absolutely silent! I guess not disagreeing with one friend in front of other friends is more important than standing up to bigotry. Nice.

occasionally my grandma will come out with some really ignorant comment that could easily be considered racist. i can't think of anything off the top of my head. but it's scary.

every once in a while at work i get accused of being racist. i've got to ask to see the stickers on the backs of everyone's i.d. cards, as proof that they live in the building. i sit in the lobby of the dorms at the desk with my security badge and notebook and everything. i wear a hat all the time, and i had just got a haircut, so from a distance i look like i've got my head shaved. two girls came in, they both happened to be black. they tried to walk past, so i yelled after them that i needed to see the i.d. card sticker. while they were digging through their bags, some white guys walked in, flashed their i.d. cards and walked up the stairs. the two girls yelled at me about how i didn't ask them for their i.d's, and didn't listen to me explain that they had shown me their cards without my asking. they stomped off without showing me their i.d cards while complaining about how skinheads are racist.

Basstrap said:
I was on the bus before and these hicks were yelling at a chinese fellow. Calling him a gook and chink and whatever else they could think of.

it was an eye opening experience because I never thought racism existed on my secluded island...it's very sad.

I blame racism here, especially against chinese people, on "jokes". The kind that make fun of other races. Growing up in a small town ones only connection with other races is through these demeaning jokes, and that effects how you look at them when you actually meet them.

"I blame racism here, especially against chinese people, on "jokes".

I really enjoy jokes. I tell jokes all the time, I always have. My friends always ask me to tell them jokes.

Well, in the last ten years or so I have been editing, changing, or not telling race jokes, gay jokes, or anything that could contribute to attitudes that seem to condone prejudice.

I have a 3-year-old niece and a 10 month old niece, both adopted from China. Myself, my brothers and sisters were raised in a home where we believed we were not prejudice. We just enjoyed a good laugh. My brother who adopted these little girls loves them so much that he is keenly aware how words can hurt. Sometimes, most times, it seems it takes personal experience for people to fully comprehend there really is no amount of acceptable racial intolerance.

Last edited:
I live in Jersey City. The statistics on this city (situated directly across the Hudson from New York City) somewhere say that it is the most racially diverse city in the U.S.

It has been one of the most rewarding and refreshing experiences, in this respect, moving here. I come from the South and have lived in parts of NorthEast Texas, where 'let me tell ya' TM racism is alive and well.

There is nothing like the racial diversity of New York and surrounding areas. Nonetheless, I still see racism up here, too. Even though like every weekend there is some form of National Pride day parade and festival down on the waterfront.

elfyx said:
There is nothing like the racial diversity of New York and surrounding areas.

:yes:.

Oh, yeah, I remember when I visited New York City...so many different languages I heard, so many people of different races...it was really neat to see and hear all these diverse groups of people like that. And all within one city, too. It was pretty cool.

Angela

i seem to be surrounded by racial tension and it completely disgusts me, my mom always makes racial comments about other races they're not necessarliy 'bad' but they're generalized which annoys me just as much, stereotypes have got to go.
and when i tell her she's wrong she goes off on me and tells me I don't know what I'm talking about.
my sister can't stand mexicans at all, and we're mexican like HER!!
also my boss always says black jokes among other racial jokes, but they are primarily black oriented.

Back
Top Bottom