racism - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2003, 03:20 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen
I just found out very recently that my uncle (by marriage) is a big time racist, and me and my parents had absolutely no idea. My parents went up to visit the aunt and him a few weeks ago and he was talking about "chinks and zipper heads"
Zipperheads?? Never heard of that racist term. Who does that refer to?

Old 10-04-2003, 11:23 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I've only heard the term a couple of times before and I don't know what it is supposed to mean either

Old 10-05-2003, 12:51 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunbury

Zipperheads?? Never heard of that racist term. Who does that refer to?
derogatory for Japanese
Old 10-05-2003, 04:44 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:32 PM
I always remember this one time I was sitting in a pub with my Dad and a group of his friends. One of them started making some extremely racist comments, which I don't intend to repeat here. I immediately said that I absolutely disagreed with him and explained why, and I expected that my Dad was going to agree with me and tell his friend why his comments were wrong. Guess what? He stayed absolutely silent! I guess not disagreeing with one friend in front of other friends is more important than standing up to bigotry. Nice.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:40 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:32 AM
occasionally my grandma will come out with some really ignorant comment that could easily be considered racist. i can't think of anything off the top of my head. but it's scary.

every once in a while at work i get accused of being racist. i've got to ask to see the stickers on the backs of everyone's i.d. cards, as proof that they live in the building. i sit in the lobby of the dorms at the desk with my security badge and notebook and everything. i wear a hat all the time, and i had just got a haircut, so from a distance i look like i've got my head shaved. two girls came in, they both happened to be black. they tried to walk past, so i yelled after them that i needed to see the i.d. card sticker. while they were digging through their bags, some white guys walked in, flashed their i.d. cards and walked up the stairs. the two girls yelled at me about how i didn't ask them for their i.d's, and didn't listen to me explain that they had shown me their cards without my asking. they stomped off without showing me their i.d cards while complaining about how skinheads are racist.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:53 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
I was on the bus before and these hicks were yelling at a chinese fellow. Calling him a gook and chink and whatever else they could think of.

it was an eye opening experience because I never thought racism existed on my secluded island...it's very sad.

I blame racism here, especially against chinese people, on "jokes". The kind that make fun of other races. Growing up in a small town ones only connection with other races is through these demeaning jokes, and that effects how you look at them when you actually meet them.

"I blame racism here, especially against chinese people, on "jokes".

I really enjoy jokes. I tell jokes all the time, I always have. My friends always ask me to tell them jokes.

Well, in the last ten years or so I have been editing, changing, or not telling race jokes, gay jokes, or anything that could contribute to attitudes that seem to condone prejudice.

I have a 3-year-old niece and a 10 month old niece, both adopted from China. Myself, my brothers and sisters were raised in a home where we believed we were not prejudice. We just enjoyed a good laugh. My brother who adopted these little girls loves them so much that he is keenly aware how words can hurt. Sometimes, most times, it seems it takes personal experience for people to fully comprehend there really is no amount of acceptable racial intolerance.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:04 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

My family are racists.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:53 PM   #23
Babyface

Location: Western Maryland. aka where you're born, but never where you die.
Local Time: 10:32 AM
are you proud of that, or...?
Old 10-10-2003, 08:12 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 10:32 AM
I live in Jersey City. The statistics on this city (situated directly across the Hudson from New York City) somewhere say that it is the most racially diverse city in the U.S.

It has been one of the most rewarding and refreshing experiences, in this respect, moving here. I come from the South and have lived in parts of NorthEast Texas, where 'let me tell ya' TM racism is alive and well.

There is nothing like the racial diversity of New York and surrounding areas. Nonetheless, I still see racism up here, too. Even though like every weekend there is some form of National Pride day parade and festival down on the waterfront.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:22 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elfyx
There is nothing like the racial diversity of New York and surrounding areas.

Oh, yeah, I remember when I visited New York City...so many different languages I heard, so many people of different races...it was really neat to see and hear all these diverse groups of people like that. And all within one city, too. It was pretty cool.

Angela
Old 10-11-2003, 02:55 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by igloolik
are you proud of that, or...?
If I were, wouldn't I say "I'm a racist!"?
Old 10-11-2003, 06:52 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i seem to be surrounded by racial tension and it completely disgusts me, my mom always makes racial comments about other races they're not necessarliy 'bad' but they're generalized which annoys me just as much, stereotypes have got to go.
and when i tell her she's wrong she goes off on me and tells me I don't know what I'm talking about.
my sister can't stand mexicans at all, and we're mexican like HER!!
also my boss always says black jokes among other racial jokes, but they are primarily black oriented.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:45 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u

my sister can't stand mexicans at all, and we're mexican like HER!!
Brown on brown hate ?? WTF??