Racisim & The World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Surge in Racist Mood Raises Concerns on Eve of World Cup
By JERE LONGMAN - The New York Times

HAMBURG, Germany, June 3 — As he left the soccer field after a club match in the eastern German city of Halle on March 25, the Nigerian forward Adebowale Ogungbure was spit upon, jeered with racial remarks and mocked with monkey noises. In rebuke, he placed two fingers under his nose to simulate a Hitler mustache and thrust his arm in a Nazi salute.

In April, the American defender Oguchi Onyewu, playing for his professional club team in Belgium, dismissively gestured toward fans who were making simian chants at him. Then, as he went to throw the ball inbounds, Onyewu said a fan of the opposing team reached over a barrier and punched him in the face.

International soccer has been plagued for years by violence among fans, including racial incidents. But FIFA, soccer's Zurich-based world governing body, said there has been a recent surge in discriminatory behavior toward blacks by fans and other players, an escalation that has dovetailed with the signing of more players from Africa and Latin America by elite European clubs.

This "deplorable trend," as FIFA has called it, now threatens to embarrass the sport on its grandest stage, the World Cup, which opens June 9 for a monthlong run in 12 cities around Germany. More than 30 billion cumulative television viewers are expected to watch part of the competition and Joseph S. Blatter, FIFA's president, has vowed to crack down on racist behavior during the tournament.

Underlining FIFA's concerns, the issue has been included on the agenda at its biannual Congress, scheduled to be held this week in Munich. A campaign against bigotry includes "Say No to Racism" stadium banners, television commercials, and team captains making pregame speeches during the quarterfinals of the 32-team tournament.

Players, coaches and officials have been threatened with sanctions. But FIFA has said it would not be practical to use the harshest penalties available to punish misbehaving fans — halting matches, holding games in empty stadiums and deducting points that teams receive for victories and ties.

Players and antiracism experts said they expected offensive behavior during the tournament, including monkey-like chanting; derisive singing; the hanging of banners that reflect neofascist and racist beliefs; and perhaps the tossing of bananas or banana peels, all familiar occurrences during matches in Spain, Italy, eastern Germany and eastern Europe.

"For us it's quite clear this is a reflection of underlying tensions that exist in European societies," said Piara Powar, director of the London-based antiracist soccer organization Kick It Out. He said of Eastern Europe: "Poverty, unemployment, is a problem. Indigenous people are looking for easy answers to blame. Often newcomers bear the brunt of the blame."

Yet experts and players also said they believed the racist behavior would be more constrained at the World Cup than it was during play in various domestic leagues around Europe, because of increased security, the international makeup of the crowds, higher ticket prices and a sense that spectators would be generally well behaved on soccer's grandest stage.

"We have to differentiate inside and outside the stadium," said Kurt Wachter, project coordinator for the Vienna-based Football Against Racism in Europe, a network of organizations that seeks to fight bigotry and xenophobia in 35 countries.

"Racism is a feature of many football leagues inside and outside Europe," said Wachter, who expects most problems to occur outside stadiums where crowds are less controlled. "We're sure we will see some things we're used to seeing. It won't stop because of the World Cup."

Particularly worrisome are the possibilities of attacks by extremist groups on spectators and visitors in train stations, bars, restaurants and open areas near the stadiums, Wachter and other experts said. To promote tolerance, he said his organization would organize street soccer matches outside World Cup stadiums.

Recent attacks in the eastern Germany city of Potsdam on an Ethiopian-born engineer and in eastern Berlin on a state lawmaker of Turkish descent, along with a government report showing an increase in right-wing violence, have ignited fears that even sporadic hate crimes and other intolerant behavior could mar the World Cup, whose embracing motto is A Time to Make Friends.

Far-right extremism is isolated on the fringe of German society, and the German government has intended to confront its Nazi past while preaching openness and tolerance. Germany has one of the world's lowest rates of violent crime. Still, an immigrant group called the Africa Council said it would publish a "No Go" guide for nonwhites during the World Cup, particularly for some areas of eastern Berlin and for surrounding towns of the state of Brandenburg.

In mid-May, a former government spokesman, Uwe-Karsten Heye, caused a furor when he tried to assist visitors by advising that anyone "with a different skin color" avoid visiting small and midsize towns in Brandenburg and elsewhere in eastern Germany, or they "may not leave with their lives."

These remarks received blunt criticism from high-ranking German officials. Wolfgang Schäuble, the minister of the interior, said there were no areas in which World Cup visitors should feel threatened, calling Germany "one of the safest places in the world."

Angela Merkel, Germany's chancellor, has warned that "anybody who threatens, attacks or, worse, kills anybody because of the color of his skin or because he comes from another country will face the full force of the law."

The Bundesliga in Germany is one of the world's top professional soccer leagues, and has not experienced widespread racism. Incidents involving racial abuse of black players are more prevalent in semiprofessional and amateur leagues in eastern Germany. One of the cities playing host to the World Cup, Leipzig, is in the former East Germany. Another, Berlin, was partly in East Germany.

After making a Nazi salute, which is illegal in Germany, Ogungbure of Nigeria was investigated by the authorities. But a charge of unconstitutional behavior against him was soon dropped because his gesture had been meant to renounce extremist activity.

"I regret what I did," Ogungbure said in a telephone interview from Leipzig. "I should have walked away. I'm a professional, but I'm a human, too. They don't spit on dogs. Why should they spit on me? I felt like a nobody."

Gerald Asamoah, a forward on Germany's World Cup team and a native of Ghana, has been recounting an incident in the 1990's when he was pelted with bananas before a club match in Cottbus. "I'll never forget that," he said in a television interview. "It's like we're not people." He has expressed anger and sadness over a banner distributed by a right-wing group that admonished, "No Gerald, You Are Not Germany."

Cory Gibbs, an American defender who formerly played professionally in Germany, said there were restaurants and nightclubs in eastern Germany — and even around Hamburg in the west — where he was told "You're not welcome" because he was black.

"I think racism is everywhere," said Gibbs, who will miss the World Cup because of a knee injury. "But I feel in Germany racism is a lot more direct."

Racist behavior at soccer matches is primarily displayed by men and is fueled by several factors, according to experts: alcohol; the perceived "us versus them" threat of multiculturalism in societies that were once more ethnically homogenous; the difficult economic transition of eastern European nations since the fall of the Berlin Wall; and crude attempts to unnerve opposing players during bitter, consuming rivalries.

Other observers say that the soccer stadium in Europe has become a communal soapbox, one of the few remaining public spaces where spectators can be outrageous and where political correctness does not exist and is even discouraged.

"Nowhere else other than football do people meet someplace and have a stage for shouting things as an anonymous mass," said Gerd Dembowski, director of a Berlin-based antiracist organization called Floodlight. "You can shout things you would never say in your normal life, let out your frustrations."

Not all the misbehavior can be traced to fans or to Europe. Players and coaches have also been transgressors.

Luis Aragonés, Spain's World Cup coach, was fined in 2004 after making racial remarks about the French star Thierry Henry. In March, in the Brazilian league, the defender Antonio Carlos was suspended for 120 days, and 4 additional matches, after an incident in which he shouted "monkey" at an opposing player who was black. But it was an incident in Spain on Feb. 25 that galvanized antiracist sentiment and prodded FIFA into taking a tougher stand against bigoted behavior. That match, in Zaragoza, was temporarily halted in the 77th minute by the referee, who threatened to cancel the remaining 13 minutes after Samuel Eto'o, the star forward for Barcelona, was subjected to a chorus of racial taunts. Eto'o threatened to leave the field. His coach and teammates eventually persuaded him to continue, and last month Barcelona won the European Champions Cup.

Eto'o has become one of the sport's most outspoken players on the subject of racism. "I'll continue to play," Eto'o, whose national team, Cameroon, did not qualify for the World Cup, said this week through his agent. "I'm not going to give up and hide and put my head down. I'll score goals against the teams whose fans are making rude noises."

Under pressure to curb what it acknowledged was an increase in racist incidents, FIFA in late March announced a stricter set of penalties that would apply for club and national team matches. The sanctions would include suspensions of five matches for players and officials who make discriminatory gestures, fines of $16,600 to $25,000 for each offense and two-year stadium bans for offending spectators. It also said teams, which receive 3 points in the standings for a victory, would have 3 points deducted on a first offense by misbehaving players, officials or fans.

Blatter, the FIFA president, told reporters that the 3-point deduction for abhorrent fan behavior would apply during the World Cup, then backed away from his comments in April. Blatter declined to comment for this article. And it remains unclear exactly what penalties will be levied against World Cup teams for offensive behavior by fans, coaches and players.

Nicolas Maingot, a FIFA spokesman, said World Cup sanctions would be made public later. But in an e-mail response to questions, he said: "Only racist abuses in the field of play will be punished. For fans, it will be impossible, due to the multinationality of the audience. In other words, it would be impossible to identify from which side would potential racist abusers come."

Critics counter that spectators are supposed to have their names on their tickets, so identifying offending fans should be relatively easy.

Onyewu, the American defender who was punched by an opposing fan in Belgium, said the man was identified through an anonymous tip and was barred from attending matches for two years. He said he did not retaliate because he believed that racist behavior reflected acts of a minority of fans.

"I'm anticipating a more professional environment in Germany because it's the World Cup," Onyewu said. Even so, he said, although antiracist efforts could restrict public behavior, "that's only helping the exterior."

He added, "The interior mind thinking, you can't really change that."

This is an ongoing problem in Europe, but soccer officials there can't seem to do anything about it.

All talk, no action, typical.

deep said:
with stuff like this going on
it may pick up in the U S, afterall

:|

You've obviously never attended an American sporting event.

Anyone caught chanting like monkeys or hitting black players would be tossed out immediately, with security officers being none to gentle. Such hostile, racist behavior would never be tolerated at a sporting event here, no matter how racist and bigoted the European press thinks Americans are.

European security measures at football matches have a been a pathetic joke over the years. It was only recently that England finally decided to crack down on the organized hooligan gangs that caused such havoc and death at so many games (Heysel Stadium, et al). These gangs nearly caused the ruin of the FA, but authorities ignored the problem to their everlasting shame.

Sorry, pal, the Europeans are going to have to face up to this problem on their own, no blaming the yanks this time!

Last edited:
in some cases it ceased being about sport or even football a long time ago. think of escobar's own goal. football isn't a sport. it isn't their religion. it's not even just an obsession. it's all of this rolled into a subculture which defies sense and logic to us on the outside.

Rush Limbaugh was thrown under the bus for making valid criticisms about Donovan McNabb that were construed as racist by some - nothing like that which occurs in Europe would ever be tolerated here.

Soccer is such a passionate sport that you really do begin to hate the other team's fans. I can see how fans will hold on to anything just to get on the other team's player's case. Even if they have to use the race card. :huh:

Even the most beautiful sport in the world has it's rough spots. :tsk:

4U2Play said:
This is an ongoing problem in Europe, but soccer officials there can't seem to do anything about it.

All talk, no action, typical.

I agree, this happens a lot in national leagues too and it's disgusting, Soccer officials can't do much about it, because what goes on inside stadiums is responsibility of the clubs. And clubs seem unwilling to act because the racists are usually hardcore supporters who bring in the money. Both the clubs and officials need to grow some balls. :mad:

As I mentioned earlier, England (and I guess the rest of the UK) has made great strides in curtailing its notorious hooligan problem, at least domestically, so it can be done.

I know the Germans have prevented many known foreign hooligans from entering the country, but it's their own home-grown gang of 10,000 that everyone is afraid of, apparently.

I just hope everything goes off without a hitch, I'd really feel bad for Germany if these gangsters ruin it for everyone else.

This WC is going to be a battlefield, in terms of hooliganism. Most of the hardcore hooligans enter the country through other countries and I think the German police is only monitoring direct flights. Some of them even traveled to Germany weeks ago.

The only good new thing is that policemen from other countries are going to the matches incognito to monitor their own hooligans. :up:

Let's hope there won't be an England vs. Germany match! :yikes:

racisim in any circmumstances is absolutely deplorable behaviour and any person who involves themselves should be severly punished---on the hooligan front i must say that around the world England is infamous for their hooliganism, the ashes cricket for example, the 'balmey army' abuse australian fans and players!

Flippen 'eck you lot talk some shite!

As an avid UK football fan and Englishman I must reply.

1. England has a terrible PAST of football related violence and IS doing something about it.

2. England have introduced banning orders on over 3000 known trouble makers who have to hand in their passports (last week I think) and have to report to their local police station at the time of every England game thereby ensuring none of them can leave the country.

PLEASE NOTE England are the ONLY country that has such measures!

3. The last England -v- Germany game at Wembly and the last one in Germany passed off without any trouble!

4. England are not alone - In Italy fans are stabbed regularly, flares and fireworks are thrown within the crowd and at the players even a motorycle scooter was thrown from the top tier into a section of Crowd at an italien league game!! In Turkey the fans behavious is despicable and they have even been responsible for the deaths of several opposition fans. In Germany and Poland they are struggling to cope with massive hooligan problems, in spain the racist abuse is rife as it is in nearly all the eastern bloc countries! In France they have a massive gang culture amongst immigrants that target visiting football fans and in Holland they have a notorious hooligan problem that has never gone away. In S Amercia and Argentina etc the fans problem is well known and attacks on players, officials and fans alike are commonplace. In Africa matches have been abandoned due to gang warfare involving machetes and axes!

The difference here is that England acted against the problem and you now cant even take a can of pop into a match let alone a firework or scooter! Anyone chanting racist comments is removed indeed anyone swearing to loudly or being half out of order is removed. Other nations haven't done anything about the problems they face as they for so long thought the problem was an English one - its not - and in comparison the situation that England has now controlled is nowhere near as bad as the problems many other countries have now but aren't dealing with.

5. Euro '96 passed off in England with no real trouble between supporters either inside or outside the grounds (although there were some idiot England loonies that caused trouble after England were knocked out in the semi's but that was mainly towards property rather than opposing fans!)

6. Ashes cricket hooliganism!! - what are you on about. The Barmy Army as they are nicknamed are loved by all, never cause trouble, respect the sport and the players from both sides and get respect back for their quality support.

7. As for Mr or Mrs 4U2play who is now overtly anti racism whereas in a previous thread a bit of racist banter at work is good fun! You did at least separate England as taking measures in your thread so fair play for that but since when is America so squeky clean! Its a miracle if you can get to a sporting event without being shot first! Your gang culture is some of the worst in the world and is endorsed by a large section of your music industry. Sport is not exempt in America. I understand that whilst there is little trouble in the stadiums there are problems outside and there have been full scale riots following hockey games and college football games after sections of fans have drunk too much and then failed to disperse.

Its a global problem that England are leading the world in trying to eradicate. When the rest of the world catches up who know, the day may come when we can all sit together and enjoy our football regardless of who we support. Sadly I doubt I will see that in my lifetime.

wasn't there a city-wide curfew in Marseille in 98 due to the English supporters rioting ?

In the US, those of us who get to games without being shot (bwahahahaha!!!!! ROFLMAO at that one), fans of opposing teams freely intermingle. No cattle-like herding of fans into assigned ground locations to avoid widespread fighting and violence.

The gangs comment was funny too, such ignorance of the US

priceless.jpg

Face paint - £5.
Football shirt - £40.
The look on their faces when they get knocked out of yet another tournament...
PRICELESS.

CKONE said:
7. As for Mr or Mrs 4U2play who is now overtly anti racism whereas in a previous thread a bit of racist banter at work is good fun! You did at least separate England as taking measures in your thread so fair play for that but since when is America so squeky clean! Its a miracle if you can get to a sporting event without being shot first! Your gang culture is some of the worst in the world and is endorsed by a large section of your music industry. Sport is not exempt in America. I understand that whilst there is little trouble in the stadiums there are problems outside and there have been full scale riots following hockey games and college football games after sections of fans have drunk too much and then failed to disperse.

Its a global problem that England are leading the world in trying to eradicate. When the rest of the world catches up who know, the day may come when we can all sit together and enjoy our football regardless of who we support. Sadly I doubt I will see that in my lifetime.

woah woah woah woah woah...

first off, this thread was re: the blatant racism that goes on in european soccer/football matches, not even touching on the disgusting acts of hooliganism that occur.

is there racism in american sports? yes... is there violence in american sports? yes... but nothing remotely close to the extent of what goes on at soccer matches throughout the globe. i don't want to be one of those "your problems are worse so our problems are ok" guys, but the comments you're making are so far from reality that i have to respond.

if one person... ONE PERSON... was to throw a banana at a player on the field/court in a major american sporting event, it would be front page news for a week. that person would be arrested for a hate crime, probably recieve a lifetime ban from the arena, and would be vilified by the press and public alike. in many sections of europe, this type of behavior not only goes on, but it is tolerated, with the excuse often given of "oh they're just trying to get the opponent off their game," which is probably the most rediculous thing i've ever heard.

it's a miracle to get to a sporting event without getting shot first? are you mad? all i can talk about is the games where i've been, which are mostly in new york... but i can tell you, there is no safer place in the city than around the area of a sporting venue during a major sporting event because of the massive police presence. lucky not to get shot? please... get your facts straight.

have their been "riots" after games by rowdy drunks? yea... an overturned car, a knocked down sign, a bonfire... normaly set by rowdy college kids after college football games. is it a problem? yes... and campus' across the nation have done whatever they can to stop it, including the ban of alcohol sales at NCAA events that was introduced this past school year.

i like how everyone is making excuses... "oh it happens in america too," "oh they're just pulling for their team," "blah blah blah."

there is NO excuse for this type of behavior. it's disgusting. it has no place in society.

"Its a global problem that England are leading the world in trying to eradicate."

Was my final comment. That refers to hooliganism, violence and racism. JUst to clarity that if someone shouts rascist abuse at an English football match they do get arrested, they do get lifetime bans - it is not taken lightly.

I know I was making a rash generalisation about america and your gun crime problem, it got your attention though! It does highlight the fact that only bad things make good press! On both sides of the atlantic. I am not naive enough to think all americans are dodging bullets to work everyday niether I hope are you so naive as to believe racism and hooliganism are at all tolerated in England. It no longer is and hasnt been for a long time.

I am envious of the situation where opposing fans can mix at sporting events. I also watch rugby and international and club fans always mix without any problems. The atmosphere is great and I wish it was like that at football. I tried to go to a match with my 72 year old uncle (he is a baggies fan and I am a villa fan). He barely celebrated a baggies goal at villa park and was ejected. Obviously I went with him but it is sad when we cant sit together for a game and enjoy a drink and banter after the game!

HIAS wrote "in many sections of europe, this type of behavior not only goes on, but it is tolerated". Not in England it isnt but it is a problem elsewhere in Europe as I highlighted.

So it seems to me there is bad everywhere, the press love it, but probably 95% of sports fans everywhere go for the sport and not for the rascism, the violence, the drink fuelled riots...unfortunately thats what the press highlight!

4U2Play said:
Sorry, pal, the Europeans are going to have to face up to this problem on their own, no blaming the yanks this time!
I came into this thread because I'm interested in what the views are of people here concerning racism/hooliganism in the upcoming world cup
I have no interest at all in your hangups about world politics

I saw part of a documentary just the other night about the english footy fans and it is a fact that the last decade they have been behaving a whole lot better
let just hope this continues and that the idiots will be stopped who want to use football as a way to make their racist views known

3000 banning orders has something to do with it! The problem I have is that whilst it is a global problem (and I accept football seems to be the main sport that suffers) the English get the worst press and despite all our efforts (which vastly outweigh those of our European counterparts and S American counterparts) that bad press continues.

The focus will be on English fans again despite their impeccable behaviour at the last two European Cup Finals, their impeccable behaviour at Euro 2004 and WC 2002.

In Marseille in 98 it was the case that the English fans were attacked by local immigrant gangs before the tunisia game. England fans were forced to defend themselves and the police only served to make the situation worse. There were England Hooligans there (I am not exonerating England from all blame) but the majority of trouble was not instigated by the English.

I have watched England home and away. Watching England away is a frightening experience. It used to be frightening because of the English Hooligans starting trouble around genuine fans and then everyone gets caught up in it. Lately it is frightening for the way England fans can be dealt with by opposing authorities because of reputation.

The fact is that the trouble is caused by a minority, England have clamped down on that minority and made great inroads into dealing with the problem. Other countries need to idenify their problem and similarly crack down.

I hope with all sincerity that there is no trouble at the world cup. I also hope that we get Germany in the final because it will be a belter (personally I think it will be England -v- Italy final) and that game passes without incident.

I do have concerns though as there are a lot of rumours regarding trouble (few regarding England so far) but many regarding clashes already organised between Poland and Germany fans. I hope they remain purely as rumours.

I also hope you american interferees will take me to a 'Skins game one day so i can enjoy a mixed support sport event in the states:up:

zepher25 said:
on the hooligan front i must say that around the world England is infamous for their hooliganism, the ashes cricket for example, the 'balmey army' abuse australian fans and players!

:ohmy: Really? Do Australians really think of the Barmy Army like that or are you just joking? I (perhaps wrongly) thought the Barmy Army were just lovable rogues who brought fun and frolics to the game, not tattooed anarchists!

TheQuiet1 said:

:ohmy: Really? Do Australians really think of the Barmy Army like that or are you just joking? I (perhaps wrongly) thought the Barmy Army were just lovable rogues who brought fun and frolics to the game, not tattooed anarchists!

the barmy army are totally friendly cricket lovers that respect the game and the players and our biggest foes, the aussies. the banter and respect is two way between fans and players and to suggest the barmy army are in any way a hooligan element is ridiculous. perhaps some peopla still want the days of lords watching cricket in silence while dozing in their chairs!!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i like how everyone is making excuses... "oh it happens in america too," "oh they're just pulling for their team," "blah blah blah."

That seems to be a unique US trait. No sooner do we see a valid problem elsewhere in the world and it gets marginalized with the hypothetical US response.

The problem of racism in European football is being described by some as "endemic".

Players, fans and ethnic minority communities are abused regularly in some parts of Europe where far right activity is rife and National Football Federations are in denial of the problem.

European problem
Neo-nazi and neo-fascist groups target football grounds in Europe in the same way that the National Front and other far right groups targetted English Football stadiums as a recuitment ground. Among the worst affected clubs are Lazio and Verona in Italy, Paris Saint-Germain in France, and Real Madrid and Real Zaragoza in Spain.

Southern Europe
The problem of racism in Southern Europe was highlighted when England's black players received mass monkey chants from thousands of fans at the Bernabeu in their friendly game against Spain in Novemeber 2004.

There has since been an increasing number of incidents where black players have been racially abused in Spanish football.

Last season (2004/05), Real Zaragoza were fined 600 euros by the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) after a section of their fans directed racist abuse at Barcelona forward, Samuel Eto'o. Athletico Madrid were also fined 6000 euros by the RFEF for the racial abuse of Espanyol's Cameroon goalkeeper Carlos Kameni in a league match. Deportivo Coruna, Albacete, and Getafe also received fines for similar incidents in their grounds.

In Italy, Messina's Ivory Coast defender Zoro threatened to halt a Serie A game in Italy this season after suffering racial abuse from visiting Inter Milan supporters.

Other prominent problems in the past in Italy include when a Jewish player, Ronnie Rosenthal, was unable to play even one game for Udinese because of massive pressure from neo-fascist circles and Aaron Winter, a native of Suriname of Hindustani extraction was subject to attacks at Lazio involving cries of 'Niggers and Jews Out'.

Central and Eastern Europe
In Central and Eastern Europe problems of racism, and anti-Semitism in particular, are a part of every day life. The racist abuse directed at England's black players in the Euro2004 qualifier against Slovakia in 2002 brought the issue to the attention of the international football community.

However, the problem of widespread racism in Central and Eastern European football stadiums had existed long before with black players playing in the domestic Leagues of countries including Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and Romania being subjected to mass monkey chanting and being pelted with Bananas every week.

Challenge
To challenge the problem anti- racism campaigners, ethnic minority communities and some National Football Associations have set up anti- racism campaigns to raise awareness of the problem and encourage fans to stand against racism.

-- http://www.kickitout.org

551.jpg

543.JPG

426.jpg

_628973_laziofascists150.jpg

_628973_lazioarkan300.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday afternoon's (Sunday, Nov 27, 2005) match between Messina and Internazionale was marred by monkey chants and other racist abuse aimed at the Ivory Coast defender by sections of the away support. A quarter of an hour into the second half, Zoro decided he'd had enough, picked up the ball and approached the referee to request that the game be suspended.

There followed the curious scene of Inter's Brazilian striker Adriano desperately trying to drag Zoro back by the shirt to stop him reaching the official. When these attempts failed, the subsequent sideline conference between the referee and Zoro was interrupted by Adriano and two other Inter players, Obafemi Martins and Marco Materazzi, who convinced Zoro to play on.

"They were very kind" said Marc afterwards. "Martins and Adriano both said that this kind of thing happens to them a lot too, and not to let it provoke me. But they seemed more concerned with getting the game restarted and avoiding any complications than anything else. I came back on to avoid causing them problems." The final whistle saw Zoro's story flash all over Italy.

STADIO1.jpg
STADIO3.jpg

I think the very existence of the sources Headache has brought up (such as the kick it out website) proves that measures are being taken; obviously now the question is the effectiveness of these measures. Also to suggest that these are normal, everyday happenings in league matches is ridiculous. The problem is almost erdadicated in England (as pointed out, albeit in a fairly jingoistic flag-waving fashion by CKONE) and anyone doing anything on the level of monkey chants will be villified and banned and whatnot. The days of 'Everton are white' and banana-throwing are thankfully all but over in England.

Also the problem is a mainly European one; I have not to my knowledge heard of any such incidents involving Asian or South American leagues and countries. There was one occurence here in the Singapore league though, when after the London bombings a well-known English coach of a local team (who also did pundit work for ESPN) called an Indian Singaporean player of the opposition by a racial epithet; it was subsequently investigated and the coach cleared. There's also the disgusting behaviour of Chinese football fans during the recent Asian Cup when Japan played, which most sections of the Asian media brushed off by suggesting that our lot deserved it for our wartime atrocities.

But perhaps therein lies the crux of the problem. Sport is meant to unite and to forget the politics of the world, but it's very easy to get caught up in mob mentalities and to bring in outside ideologies. A football pitch is a pretty easy outlet for nationalistic frustrations. Sometimes this translates into friendly rivalry, most times it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom