Racial Profiling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I was just wondering what everybody thought of racial profiling. For thoose who might not know, racial profiling is when police stop non-whites more often than whites. The Minneapolis police have it. It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.

I don't think that it is an issue that is black or white. While the Police may pull over more blacks than whites, it is not just because they're black. Most of the time police know what kind of people they are looking for will look like, beyond just being black.

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
I don't think that it is an issue that is black or white. While the Police may pull over more blacks than whites, it is not just because they're black. Most of the time police know what kind of people they are looking for will look like, beyond just being black.

Yah.. this is so true.. It is one of those little 'stereotyping' sort of things that people do, but a cop... mostly because more often than not they do tend to be true when they're looking at a suspicious individual, they happen to be of a specific race.. personality type.. I hate it.. I think it's a horrible thing that it happens.. but I would never put any blame on anyone that would do it, or would clench their purse a little tighter when they're walking down a dark street and they pass a group of hispanics wearing beaters and backward hats... Just a personal example.. I got on a plane Oct. 20th to come back to college, and right in front of me were these two HugE turbans on the heads of two arabs... now, it's not a mystery my first thought that ran through my head.. It sucks that that happens, but it's not like these profiles just appeared out of nowhere...

hmm, tough one eh. My state premier reently got whole heap of shit for backing the police commisioner with his stance on racial descriptors in policing. Ie describing an offender as a 'young male, 180cm, of asian/hispanic/african/middle eastern/anglo/white appearance'. If thats racist, then its also sexist and ageist.

We live in a multicultural society like most do. We are supposed to celebrate diversity. And with that I dont think we should put blinkers on and pretend we are all the same. It doesnt matter what social or racial group you are part of, everyone is different. The problem only exists when we treat people differently because of their background. Thats when its wrong.

Back
Top Bottom