R I P Pat Tillman. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:38 PM
R I P Pat Tillman.

All untimely deaths are tragedies.

The War in Afghanistan against the Taliban and Al-queda is supported overwhelmingly by Americans.

Most people in other countries understand the reasons for this war.

Pat Tillman chose to walk away from millions of dollars to serve in Afghanistan.

I deeply regret the loss of lives in Iraq. The enlisted men and women are fighting a war that was and is not necessary.

I will not group Tillman in with them. To do so is falling for the lies that Cheney and Bush presented to sell this to the American people.

Quote:

Ex-NFL player and SJ native Tillman dies in combat in Afghanistan

HE QUIETLY QUIT FOOTBALL CAREER TO JOIN ARMY RANGERS

By Chuck Carroll

Mercury News

Pat Tillman, the former San Jose football star who turned down a $3.6 million contract offer to remain with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals and joined the Army to fight terrorism, has been killed in action in Afghanistan, media reports say.

Tillman and his brother Kevin, graduates of Leland High School, enlisted in 2002 and succeeded in joining the Army Rangers, an elite strike force seen as one of the country's best combat units.

Some Ranger units were taking part in the hunt for al-Qaida and Taliban fighters in southeastern Afghanistan. Military sources confirmed his death there and said there would be a formal announcement later today.

Tillman and his brother joined the Army with all the secrecy worthy of a battle plan. They declined all interviews, as did the family, because the men wanted to serve the country, not to draw attention to themselves.

Tillman, now 27 years old, considered joining the military before airplanes were steered into the World Trace Center towers and the Pentagon, but Sept. 11, 2001, iced it, friends said at the time.

It did not surprise them. He was always a very intense, committed and driven person who seemed to shun the spotlight, friends said.

Tillman, who played safety, spent four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals before enlisting in the Army in May 2002. Before going to the pros, he played for the Arizona State Sun Devils while earning a marketing degree with a 3.84 grade point average in less than four years.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:38 AM
i think sighting your political beliefs about iraq in a thread about pat tillman's death is in poor taste. let's please just keep this about the life of a great man and not get into a political debate. thank you.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i think sighting your political beliefs about iraq in a thread about pat tillman's death is in poor taste. let's please just keep this about the life of a great man and not get into a political debate. thank you.
"not grouping him in"..I don't get it or maybe I do
Old 04-23-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
turned down a $3.6 million contract offer to remain with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals and joined the Army to fight terrorism
A heroic demonstration of self-sacrifice and service to others.

RIP

Old 04-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Headache,

As I stated I have complete respect for Tillman’s volunteering and ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan.

It is a GREAT loss.

Binladen and the Taliban must be dealt with and taken down.

Most of the world understands and supports that.

After 911 Tillman wanted to go to Afghanistan and take part in that.

It is difficult but easier to accept loss of live in Afganistan.

To mention Tillman in a thread with Iraq War casualties is a blurring of the lines.

Afghanistan and Iraq are very different situations despite Bush/Cheney propaganda.

To group him in with what is happening in Iraq is a disservice to his memory.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:52 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

not getting into an argument over it, 'cause that too would be a disservice to tillman's memory.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:56 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Old 04-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Pat did not have to do this.....He had a world of open doors that he could have chosen. Instead he chose to serve his country honorably. I do not think he would want to be recognized differently than any other soldier. They are all men, no matter what opportunities life throws their way.

I put it in war not to make a political statement or to blur lines. I sincerely hope, DEEP, that you would not be throwing digs at me or any other member for having an opinion on this. The loss of servicemen and women is sad enough as it is without turning it into the same old self-righteous I am right you are wrong crap.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

"He viewed his decision as no more patriotic than that of his less fortunate, less renowned countrymen who loved our country enough to volunteer to defend her in a time of peril," McCain, a Republican, said in a statement.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:15 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Dread,

my pm is not working

email: geostato at go dot com
Old 04-23-2004, 02:25 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

“I am heartbroken today by the news of Pat Tillman’s death. The tragic loss of this extraordinary young man will seem a heavy blow to our nation’s morale, as it is surely a grievous injury to his loved ones. Many American families have suffered the same terrible sacrifice that Pat’s family must now bear, and the patriotism that their loved ones’ exemplified is as fine and compelling as Pat’s. But there is in Pat Tillman’s example, in his unexpected choice of duty to his country over the riches and other comforts of celebrity, and in his humility, such an inspiration to all of us to reclaim the essential public-spiritedness of Americans that many of us, in low moments, had worried was no longer our common distinguishing trait.

“When Pat made his choice to leave the NFL and became an Army Ranger, he declined requests for interviews because he viewed his decision as no more patriotic than that of his less fortunate, less renowned countrymen who loved our country enough to volunteer to defend her in a time of peril. It is that first lesson of patriotism that we should reaffirm in our own lives as we celebrate the courageous life and mourn the heroic death of this most honorable American.”

-John McCain
Old 04-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

"Pat Tillman personified all the best values of his country and the NFL. He was an achiever and leader on many levels who always put his team, his community, and his country ahead of his personal interests. Like other men and women protecting our freedom around the world, Pat made the ultimate sacrifice and gave his life in the service of our country. We are deeply saddened by his loss and, on behalf of everyone in the NFL, we extend our heartfelt sympathy to the Tillman family."
-NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue
Old 04-23-2004, 04:39 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/2003/0415/1539258.html
Old 04-23-2004, 06:20 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

SportsCenter had a beautiful short film about Pat Tillman and his brother. It made me cry. The world has lost a quality human being.
We'll hear more about Pat Tillman than others who have died in Afghanistan and Iraq because he'd been a pro football player. But all of those who have died have stories, and they are all worthy of attention and tribute. The point was made several times during the film that the Tillmans didn't want any extra attention, because they didn't think they were any more important than anyone else.
Tillman had two brothers, and they showed pictures of them, three beautiful little blond boys. And one of them grew up to die in combat, thousands of miles away from home.
NO MORE. NO MORE. NO MORE. NO MORE!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 06:29 PM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 05:38 AM
Quote: