Quote of the day (as far as I'm concerned)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echo0001

Acrobat

"It is true that many Americans find the Commandments in accord with their personal beliefs. But we do not count heads before enforcing the First Amendment."
JUSTICE SANDRA DAY O'CONNOR, concurring in a ruling against government displays of religious symbols.

It shouldn't matter how many Christians there are in this country. It shouldn't matter how many people want to dictate their particular brand of morality to the nation. The Ten Commandments have no place in court houses, public schools, etc. Christianity shouldn't be taught in public schools. And I don't think the religious affliation of a politician should have anything to do with how our government is run.

Here's one of my favorites from John Adams' book, "A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America" (1787-88):

"The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses."

Melon

melon said:
Here's one of my favorites from John Adams' book, "A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America" (1787-88):

"The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses."

Melon

I had noticed this quote in another thread also, and I like it very much. Thank you for including it. :up:

Back
Top Bottom