Quotable Quotes, FYM Style.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Music is like a drug that goes in your ear, and when it's in your ear you get a vision... like that first time you hear a love song with that special someone, and then every time you hear that song you think of that special someone... and then two years later, after you've broken up, you're sitting in a bar... and that same song comes on and you're like son of a bitch... I'll have a Jager."
-Lewis Black

Great thread! Here's a very personal one.

"May love and grace your life's cup fill
for there's but one draught there.
And to this wish I make an end,
for that's my own life's prayer."

-My Dad in his wedding card to me and my husband

i can get lost in this thread. all the qoutes are great. here are some of my fave...

'education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be learnt' Oscar Wilde

'tis a wise thing ti know what is wanted, and a wiser still to know when it is achieved. And still wiser to know when it is unachievable, for then striving for it is folly’ R E Feist

‘the weight of history is so heavy. It’s a huge responsibility to be the repository of people’s dreams, to be their hope for the future’ Bono

‘it’s going ,to cost you. Justice, equality, these ideas aren’t cheap’ Bono

A famous historian Will Durat was once asked to summarise the world’s history in 5 minutes. Without a pause he replied:
“history books describe the history of the world as a river red with blood. Running fast, it is filled with the men and events that cause bloodshed: kings and princes, diplomats and politicians. The cause revolutions and wars, violations or territories and rights. But the real history of the world takes place on the riverbanks where ordinary people dwell. They are loving one another, bearing children, and providing homes, all the while trying to remain untouched by the swiftly flowing river’

‘we have met the enemy, and he is us’ Pogo

‘no army can withstand the force of an idea whose time has com’ Victor Hugo

‘it is not fair to ask of others what you are not willing to do’

‘God bless America
God save the Queen
God defend New Zealand
Thank Christ for Australia’ Russel Crow

‘you are never given a wish without also having the power to make it happen’

‘if you really want to do something you will find a way. And if you don’t, you will always find an excuse’

“I am not a coward, its just that you don’t appreciate my particular style of bravery”

‘it is the spectator and not life that art really mirrors’ Picture of Dorian Grey, Oscar Wilde

When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

--William Shakespeare, Sonnet XXIX

Last edited:
From Mark Twain--

Adam was but human--this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference betweeen the lightning and the lightning bug.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

When angry, count four; when very angry, swear.

Classic: A book which people praise and don't read.

Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to.

Grief can take care of itself; but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with.

Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work.

Don't part with your illusions. When they have gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live.

The way it is now, the asylums can hold the sane people, but if we tried to shut up the insane we should run out of building materials.

When whole races and peoples conspire to progagate gigantic mute lies in the interest of tyrannies and shams, why should we care about the trifling lies told by the individual?

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

It takes your enemy and your friend, working together, to hurt you to the heart; the one to slander you and the other to get the news to you.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

I know the taste of a watermelon which has been honestly come by, and I know the taste of a watermelon which has been acquired by art. Both taste good, but experience knows which tastes best.

Behold the fool saith, "Put not your all thine eggs in the one basket"--which is but a manner of saying, "Scatter your money and your attention"; but the wise man saith "Put all your eggs in the one basket and--WATCH THAT BASKET."

When a teacher calls a boy by his entire name it means trouble.

He had no principles and was delightful company.

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Let us not be too particular. It is better to have old second-hand diamonds than none at all.

We adore titles and heredities in our hearts and ridicule them with our mouths. This is our democratic privilege.

Every one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.

The best way to get a sure thing on a fact is to go and examine it for yourself, and not take anybody's say-so.

"All human beings are also dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together" - Jack Kerouac

"1 The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want;

2 he makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters;

3 he restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil; for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." - Psalm 23

"La esperanza muere al último (Hope dies last)" - Mexican Proverb

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace" - John Lennon

"All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break
All that you measure
All that you steal
All this you can leave behind
All that you reason
All that you sense
All that you speak
All you dress up
All that you scheme" - U2, "Walk On"

"Small minds discuss people. Average minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas" - Unknown

"If you're not ready to die for it, put the word "freedom" out of your vocabulary" - El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (Malcolm X)

"Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of captivity. But one hundred years later, we must face the tragic fact that the Negro is still not free.

One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land.

So we have come here today to dramatize an appalling condition. In a sense we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir.

This note was a promise that all men would be guaranteed the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check which has come back marked "insufficient funds." But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation.

So we have come to cash this check -- a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice. We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to open the doors of opportunity to all of God's children. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of the Negro. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. Those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. There will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights.

The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges. But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. we must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.

The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny and their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.

We cannot walk alone. And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" we can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities. We cannot be satisfied as long as the Negro's basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one. We can never be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.

Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed. Let us not wallow in the valley of despair. I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together. This is our hope. This is the faith with which I return to the South. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring." And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania! Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado! Let freedom ring from the curvaceous peaks of California! But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia! Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee! Let freedom ring from every hill and every molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!" - Martin Luther King, Jr., "I Have A Dream"

"I can’t believe the news today
Oh, I can’t close my eyes and make it go away
How long...
How long must we sing this song?
How long? how long..." - U2, "Sunday, Bloody Sunday"

"Vengeance is a lazy form of grief" - Nicole Kidman, "The Interpreter "

"Early morning, April 4
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride" - U2,"Pride (In The Name Of Love)

"Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom
'Cause all I ever had
Redemption song
Redemption song" - Bob Marley, "Redemption Song"

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness" - Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

"די לדם ולדמעות. די. אין בנו שנאה כלפיכם, אין אנו תאבי נקמה. אנו, כמוכם, אנשים שרוצים לבנות בית, לטעת עץ, לאהוב ולחיות לצידכם בכבוד, באהדה, כבני אדם, כבני חורין (Enough blood and tears. Enough. We have no hatred towards you, we do not wish for revenge. We, as you, are people who want to build a house, plant a tree, love and live alongside the other, in dignity, support, as humans, free)" - Yitzhak Rabin

"Intelligence isn't a priviledge, it's a gift and you use it for the benefit of mankind."
Dr. Otto Octavius in Spiderman 2

This made me realize that I can pursue my goals in education.

"It's what you do that defines you"

I saw "Batman Begins" last night with my cousin....it's a great movie, well-acted, with a gritty feel that made it more plausible than most superhero movies.

And, as I tend to do with most things, I saw a kind of U2-brand "changing the world through goodness" theme. Interestingly, the band does have a Batman connection with previous soundtrack material...and Edge has worked on the animated series.

Aside from Katie Holmes, the movie inspired me, and makes me want to be more batman-y in my own life (you know, befriend flying rodents, throw out my gun collection, that kind of thing).

The movie also featured this awesome qoute:

"What's underneath doesn't really matter. It's what you do that defines you"

I can almost picture myself quietly whispering these words to a future son or daughter as I drop them off for their first day of university and slowly drive away (followed, no doubt, by a blank stare by said son or daughter).:wink:

My question is: what qoutes from superheroes, leaders, or average mere mortals have inspired you in the past, or still stick with you today?

daln121l.jpg

Last edited:
My dad had a favorite quote it didn't matter if I was sweeping the garage, writing a paper for school, relationships it didn't matter but he repeatingly told me "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right".

Never saw my father half ass anything. If we're at a restaurant and the table is wobbling, he doesn't put sugar packets under the leg he finds a way to fix it right then and there.

My father has an impecible work ethic, I just hope I can remain half as steadworthy as my father.

Last night when my daughter fell of the bed I quited Batman begins The reason we fall is so that we can learn to pick ourselves up or something like that. My hubby laughed at me:sad:

DaveC said:
Not exactly FYM, but applicable to here:

"it's impossible to appear sincere without also appearing insufferably full of shit." - deathbear/caisenma

I don't think Pax would want to add this to the list of quotes for her child, mainly because it is not true. I've seen genuine sincerity many times. Here's hoping you see it too.

"We thought we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong" - 11 O'Click Tick Tock. This reminds me to take a step back from my daily pursuits and focus on the things that really matter. It also makes me question my motives and direction.

"No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life." - Albert Einstein

"If a car had as many useless parts as the Church, it wouldn't even roll down hill." - my pastor

"I don't believe in charity: I believe in solidarity. Charity is vertical, so it is humiliating. It goes from top to bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other, and learns from the other."

- Eduardo Galeano

:up:

I'm glad to see Walk On and Pride referances.

I will put up some more U2, but they might already be here.

"So we are told, this is the golden age. But gold is the reason for the wars we wage. I want to be with you be with you night and day. But nothing changes, on new years day"

"These winds and tides
this change of times
won't
drag you away"

"would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?"

The most inspiring and motivating words for me have been in PRIDE. For, they just hold a lot of meaning, and mean a lot more than just the words themselves. Each chorus has a different contextual meaning, and it takes the whole song to get the full effect, but

"In the name of love,
One more in the name of love.
In the name of love,
What more, in the name of Love?

one/what is open to interpretation, and maybe I am not totally accurate, but that is what I hear on the studio version, and that is how I sing it, and how it has the most meaning to me.

Froma a very dear friend:

"Find the one for you"

----------

u2

"True love never can be rent
But only true love can keep beauty innocent"

Dad - - his mother, my grandmother

"Never have sex with someone who you don't want to have children with"

(it was worded better, but I don't remember it poetically)

THis was my personal quote for the longest time, everyday it was there, and it is still on my wall

"If you cannot stand alone, then you cannot stand at all"

(refering to personal responsibilty, independance, respect, and ability)

There are some great FF quotes, but it will take me time to remember them, my memory is shot right now.

i forgot who - "war doesn't decide who is right, war decides who is left"

"No one is more miserable than the person who wills everything and can do nothing" - some roman emperor, Marcus Aurelius I think.

"Were one, but were not the same, we got to carry each other, carry each other".

Oh boy... I forgot about my Zen Speaks book...

"There are people in this world who are forced to do shameless things in order to survive, but there are even more people who do even more despicable things simply to satisfy extravagant and shameless desires." - Zen Speaks, the story of Rashomon

"an answer is mos likely found where the question begins"

"Do it"

"A leader must know how to understand the feelings of others. He must be able to understand and communicate with both the upper and lower classes, for only then can he unite them as a whole society"

Zen something or other.

"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
I just to love...
And to be loved...
In return"

Nat King Cole, "nature boy"

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA

I just came up with a great one and wanted to write it down before I forgot---

"Love is getting on your knees without being asked"
- For Honor, me

(now...... there are a lot of ways that can be taken, I suppose.. but I like that about it. It shocks you, but it is true.)

"Keep the fights clean and the sex dirty" Kevin Bacon- when asked what is the secret to a good marriage

May the roads rise to meet you,
May the winds always be at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.
-Irish blessing

"There is no failure here sweetheart, just when you quit." Bono

"Love forever, love is free." Gorillaz

(I forgot about this thread)

"Life has nothing to do with you"
- personal

"Be careful with whom you associate with"
- my father... (........)

"Bless those who persecute you;
bless, and don't curse.
Rejoice with those who rejoice.
Weep with those who weep.
Be of the same mind one toward another.
Don't set your mind on high things,
but associate with the humble.
Don't be wise in your own conceits.
Repay no one evil for evil.
Respect what is honorable in the sight of all men.
If it is possible, as much as it is up to you,
be at peace with all men.
Don't seek revenge yourselves, beloved,
but give place to God's wrath.
For it is written,
"Vengeance belongs to me;
I will repay, says the Lord."
Therefore
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him.
If he is thirsty, give him a drink.
For in doing so, you will heap
coals of fire on his head."
Don't be overcome by evil,
but overcome evil with good."
Romans 12:14-21

(Respect what is honorable in the sight of all men)
(Victory must be observed like a funeral)

Tao Te Ching
by LAO TSU
Translation by Gia Fu Feng
and Jane English

Thirty-One

Good weapons are instruments of fear; all creatures hate them.
Therefore followers of Tao never use them.
The wise man prefers the left.
The man of war prefers the right.

Weapons are instruments of fear; they are not a wise man's tools.
He uses them only when he has no choice.
Peace and quiet are dear to his heart,
And victory no cause for rejoicing.
If you rejoice in victory, then you delight in killing;
If you delight in killing, you cannot fulfill yourself.

On happy occasions precedence is given to the left,
On sad occasions to the right.
In the army the general stands on the left,
The commander in chief on the right.
That means that war is conducted like a funeral.
When many people are being killed,
They should be mourned in heartfelt sorrow.
That is why a victory must be observed like a funeral.

"The ultimate act for any warrior is to lay down his sword"
- from the movie "HERO" (yimou)

redkat said:
Last night when my daughter fell of the bed I quited Batman begins The reason we fall is so that we can learn to pick ourselves up or something like that. My hubby laughed at me:sad:

Who said this one?

zoney! said:

Who said this one?

could be a fantastic oversimplification of nietzsche (paraphrase: 'that which does not kill you makes you stronger'). or possibly a bit of a chumbawumba rip off ('i get knocked down but i get up again').

but actually it's batman's dad in the movie batman begins.

Back
Top Bottom