Quotable Quotes, FYM Style.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief:
All kill their inspiration
and sing about their grief.

Love.
You shine like a burning star....

I have not seen this quote in print or even seen it referenced, but I can assure you Bono said it. I have a pretty good memory, though I could be missing a word here and there.

During the old days of MTV (84-85 perhaps?) Bono stopped by the studio and Martha Quinn asked him to define rock-n-roll. He responded in that wonderful Irish lilt

"If by rock-and-roll you mean the music that's popular today, I'd define it as 'FOR spoiled children BY spoiled children.' But if you mean real rock-and-roll, that's undefinable."

I have never heard a better description of most of the drivel that passes for "music," nor of that "music's" fans.

"in america we have a two party system. we have the republicans, a party of bad ideas, and the democrats, a party of no ideas. so how it works is like this... a republican gets up in congress and yells out I HAVE A REALLY BAD IDEA!!! and then the democrat gets up and yells AND I CAN MAKE IT SHITTIER!!!"
-lewis black

Headache in a Suitcase said:
"in america we have a two party system. we have the republicans, a party of bad ideas, and the democrats, a party of no ideas. so how it works is like this... a republican gets up in congress and yells out I HAVE A REALLY BAD IDEA!!! and then the democrat gets up and yells AND I CAN MAKE IT SHITTIER!!!"
-lewis black

LOL :p.

Angela

Azar Nafisi (author of "Reading Lolita in Tehran") was at my university the other week and went to hear her talk. She gave us a great Nabakov quote

"Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form"

:up: :yes:

SD

If I may put in my .02 cents worth:
These are some of my personal favorite. (Excuse me if I accidentally re-post, there's already a lot of good stuff here, and I'm slightly scatterbrained)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

What wound did ever heal but my degrees?
Author: William Shakespeare
Source: Othello the Moor of Venice (Iago at II, iii)

The remedy for wrongs is to forget them.
Author: Publilius Syrus

Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition, there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes.
Author: George Soros

'Tis better to suffer wrong than do it.
Author: Thomas Fuller, M. D.

For the poor wren (The most diminutive of birds) will fight, Her young ones in her nest, against the owl.
Author: William Shakespeare
Source: Macbeth (Lady Macduff at IV, ii)

Ferdinand Foch
The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.

Pablo Casals
The capacity to care is the thing which gives life its deepest meaning and significance.

Vaclav Havel
Vision is not enough, it must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps, we must step up the stairs.

Alan Paton
There is only one-way in which one can endure man's inhumanity to man and that is to try, in one's own life, to exemplify man's humanity to man.

Chief Seattle
Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.

Pericles
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.

A couple more:

John Burroughs
A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.

Forgiveness is giving up the possibility of a better past. - Unknown

Mahatma Gandhi
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

Josh Billings
There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.

Mother Teresa
There is more hunger for love and appreciation in this world than for bread.

Those who don't know how to weep with their whole heart, don't know how to laugh either.
Author: Golda Meir

Blessed is the influence of one true loving human soul on another.
Author: George Eliot (pseudonym of Mary Ann Evans Cross)

May you live all the days of your life.
Author: Jonathan Swift
Source: Polite Conversation (dialogue II)

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction! - irish proverb

Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it - Proverbs 22:6

"Sour, sweet, bitter, pungent, all must be tasted." - Chinese Proverb

Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from a friend's forehead. - Chinese Proverb
:)lmao: I love that one!)

Yesterday is a dream, tomorrow but a vision. But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well, therefore to this day. -Sanskrit Proverb

Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it - Swedish Proverb

"If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." - Maya Angelou

You cannot raise a man up by calling him down. - William Boetcker

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa

"Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping him up." - Jesse Jackson

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn’t. A sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is. - Horace Walpole

"No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent." - Abraham Lincoln

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too." - Voltaire

I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry.
--Rita Rudner
:D

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Sad_Girl said:
"Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping him up." - Jesse Jackson

That's a good one.

Originally posted by Sad_Girl
I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry.
--Rita Rudner
:D

LOL! I like that one! :D. And I like the Chinese proverb about the hatchet, too-can't say I disagree with that advice.

Originally posted by Sad_Girl
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Ernest Hemingway

That's some good advice, too *Nods*.

Angela

I've seen this attributed to both Om Vashishth and Mother Teresa:

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, People may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, there may be jealousy;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - unknown

If you can start the day without caffeine or pep pills

If you can be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles

If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it

If you can understand when loved ones are too busy to give you time

If you can overlook when people take things out on you, when through no fault of your own, something goes wrong

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment

If you can face the world without lies and deceit

If you can conquer tension without medical help

If you can relax without liquor

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

...Then, my friend, you are almost as good as your dog or your cat.

-unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Ten Commandments for Pet Owners

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful...

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me...

3. Place your trust in me — it's crucial to my well-being...

4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I HAVE ONLY YOU...

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me...

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'LL NEVER forget it...

7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you...

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart may be getting old and weak...

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old...

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, " I can't bear to watch." Everything is easier for ME if you are there. Remember. I LOVE YOU.

-unknown

Last edited:
Some random Bono quotes off the top of my head:

You don't have to put up a fight, you don't have to always be right. ("Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own")

I want a love that's hard, as hard as hate. ("Levitate")

All the action is not under your control. ("Falling At Your Feet")

Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die. ("Crumbs From Your Table")

"I remember the feeling of knocking on doors and going and begging cap in hand, you know, to increase aid flows for the poorest of the poor and just thinking to myself 'Why are we… why am I… going and begging here? And I'm not going to feel nervous: I'm meeting these politicians, they should feel nervous, because they're going to be held accountable by God and by History'
'And I was kind of angry - angry at the Church as well because the Church was very slow to respond to the AIDS emergency, very judgmental about people with AIDS. They have since changed their position and I'm very impressed, they're all starting to wake up and realise, that AIDS is leprosy, you know, just read your gospels, and figure it out."

- Bono on the making of "Crumbs From Your Table"

Last edited:
Not exactly FYM, but applicable to here:

"it's impossible to appear sincere without also appearing insufferably full of shit." - deathbear/caisenma

from "What you do with what you´ve got" by Eddi Reader (great scottish singer)

It´s not just what you´re born with,
It´s what you choose to be,
It´s not how big your share is,
It´s how much you can share,
It´s not the fights you dream of,
It´s those you really fought,
It´s not what you´ve been given,
It´s what you do with what you´ve got.

What´s the use in two strong legs, if you only run away?
And whats the use in a fighters voice,
If you´ve nothing good to say?
Whats the use in strength and muscle,
If you only push and shove?
And whats the use in two good ears,
If you can´t hear those you love?

Between those who use their neighbour,
And those who use the cane,
Between those in constant power,
And those in constant pain,
Between those who run to glory,
And those who cannot run,
Tell me, which ones are the cripples?
And which ones touch the sun?

Last edited:
"The greatest thing you will learn is to love and be loved in return."-Nat King Cole, Nature Boy

"I've had a lot of success and I've had a lot of failure. I've looked good and I've looked bad. I've been praised and I've been criticized. But my mistakes have been necessary. "-Conan O'Brien delivering the Harvard Class of 2000 Commencment sppech

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."-Oscar Wilde

"The more you know who you are and what you want, the less you let thing upset you."-Lost in Translation

"You gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice".-U2, Running To Stand Still

"Only good girls keep diaries, bad girls don't have the time"

"When faced with two evils, I always take the one I haven't tried"

Mae West

"When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don't see the one that has opened for us."-Helen Keller

"Don't let the bastards grind you down" Bono

Can't remember who this is contributed to, but I sure like it!! :D

"If you can't act as a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

I like to think that one applies directly to me!! :lmao:

here's one i read today which i pleasantly agreed with:shifty:

"I was brought up in a country that relished fear-based religion, corrupt government, and an entire white population living on stolen property that they murdered for and that is passed on from generation to generation."

by sean penn :reject: avoids bashing from all the sean penn haters

The greatest enemy of hunger for God is not poison but apple pie. It is not the banquet of the wicked that dulls our appetite for heaven, but endless nibbling at the table of the world... If you don't feel strong desires for the manifestation of the glory of God, it is not because you have drunk deeply and are satisfied. It is because you have nibbled so long at the table of the world. Your soul is stuffed with small things, and there is no room for the great. God did not create you for this. John Piper

Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C. S. Lewis

"I swear -- by my life and by my love of it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

- John Galt

Back
Top Bottom