Quotable Quotes, FYM Style.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have this one hanging up in my office..

It’s an amazing thing to think that ours is the first generation in history that really can end extreme poverty, the kind that means a child dies for lack of food in its belly. This should be seen as the most incredible, historic opportunity but instead it’s become a millstone around our necks. We let our own pathetic excuses about how it’s ‘difficult’ justify our own inaction. Let’s be honest. We have the science, the technology, and the wealth. What we don’t have is the will, and that’s not a reason that history will accept.

~Bono from an interview to the World Association of Newspapers for World Press Freedom Day on May 3, 2004.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine
And no one showed us to the land
And no one knows the wheres or whys
But something stirs and
Something tries
And starts to climb towards the light

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand the best I can
And no one calls us to the land
And no one forces down our eyes
And no one speaks
And no one tries
And no one flies around the sun

Cloudless every day you fall
Upon my waking eyes
Inviting and inciting me to rise
And through the window in the wall
Comes streamin in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning
And no one sings me lullabies
And no one makes me close my eyes
So I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky.

Pink Floyd, Echoes

a few quotes that helped me through the disaster that was 2004:

'what you do is of little significance; but it is very important that you do it.' -- mohatmas gandhi

'if you're going through hell, keep going.' -- winston churchill

'fail. fail again. fail better.' -- samuel beckett

i'm subscribed to the 'a word a day' mailing list (because i'm a word nerd), and they always include a quote at the end. that's where these little nuggets of wisdom came from.

:up:

"Dance like nobody's watching": Bono. There's more to that quote than that, but that part always sticks with me.

"Nobody can make you feel bad, without your permission": Eleanor Roosevelt.

"Who controls the past, controls the future.
Who controls the present, controls the past.
Who controls the present?": Zack De La Rocha from "Testify"

"If you want to kiss the sky you'd better learn how to kneel": Bono, from "Mysterious Ways"

"There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in": Leonard Cohen, from "Anthem"

"Freud said that sometimes and cigar is just a cigar...well, sometimes a cigar is a big, brown dick": George Carlin. (I don't know if you should give that one to your daughter) ;)

"Don't listen to what your teachers tell ya, you know. Don't pay attention. Just, just see what they look like and that's how you'll know what life is really gonna be like." Woody Allen, from "Crimes and Misdemeanors"

"We're all faced throughout our lives with agonizing decisions, moral choices. Some are on a grand scale, most of these choices are on lesser points. But we define ourselves by the choices we have made. We are, in fact, the sum total of our choices. Events unfold so unpredictably, so unfairly, Human happiness does not seem to be included in the design of creation. it is only we, with our capacity to love that give meaning to the indifferent universe. And yet, most human beings seem to have the ability to keep trying and even try to find joy from simple things, like their family, their work, and from the hope that future generations might understand more.": Woody Allen, from "Crimes and Misdemeanors"

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.": Mary Schmich, "Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen"

Ladies...if you've been dating a man for three months...and you've never met any of his friends...YOU are NOT his girlfriend.
--Chris Rock

"'I wish it need not have happened in my time', said Frodo.

"'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

------------

"'I do really wish to destroy it!' cried Frodo. 'Or, well, to have it destroyed. I am not made for perilous quests. I wish I had never seen the Ring! Why did it come to me? Why was I chosen?"

"'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have."

-- J. R. R. Tolkien, "The Fellowship Of The Ring"

"I've dwelled on my failures today because, as graduates of Harvard, your biggest liability is your need to succeed."

-- Conan O'Brien, at Harvard Commencement 2000

-------------

"Civil rights in America and Europe are bound to human rights in the rest of the world. The right to live like a human. But these thoughts are expensive, they're going to cost us. Are we ready to pay the price? Is America still a great idea as well as a great country? When I was a kid in Dublin, I watched in awe as America put a man on the moon, and I thought 'Wow -- this is mad! Nothing is impossible in America! America, they can do anything over there!' Nothing was impossible, only human nature, and it followed because it was led.

"Is that still true? Tell me it's true. It is true, isn't it? And if it isn't, you of all people can make it true again."

-- Bono, at Harvard Class Day 2001

Last edited:
speedracer said:
"I've dwelled on my failures today because, as graduates of Harvard, your biggest liability is your need to succeed."

-- Conan O'Brien, at Harvard Commencement 2000

wow, my friend was at that commencement

f

paxetaurora said:
Ladies...if you've been dating a man for three months...and you've never met any of his friends...YOU are NOT his girlfriend.
--Chris Rock

:lmao: :up:. I loved that little "song".

Also, good mention of the "Sunscreen" one, Danospano :up:. There's a lot of good ones in here-perhaps I should put some of them down for myself.

Angela

"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel"

Stuart Pearce - English Footballer

(my favourite quote)

sock it to me now

Song: Compared To What 1969
Artist: Les McCann & Eddie Harris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another night, another love
My hangin’ only push and shove
Possession is the motivation
That is hangin’ up the goddamn nation

Looks like we always end up in a rut
Everybody now tryin’ to make it real compared to what
Come on, baby, woo

The President he’s got his war
Folks don’t know just what it’s for
Nobody gives us a rhyme or reason
Have one doubt, they call it treason

We chicken feathers or we’re out one nut
Goddamn it, tryin’ to make it real compared to what
Sock it to me now

Tryin’ to make it real compared to what

Last edited:
'Maybe i will never be all the things i wanna be..now is not the time to cry now's the time to find out why...i think you're the same as me...we see things they'll never see...YOU AND I ARE GONNA LIVE FOREVER...' - Noel Gallagher

'Do or die' - Gandhi to his countrymen during the freedom struggle against the British.

'But how do we know what sound the tree made if no one was around to hear it?' - Lisa Simpson to Bart in season two's Dead Putting Society

dilbert.gif

Speak gently! It is better far
To rule by love than fear;
Speak gently; let no harsh words mar
The good we might do here!

G W Langford

Grace, she takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain
It could be her name

Grace, it's the name for a girl
It's also a thought that changed the world
And when she walks on the street
You can hear the strings
Grace finds goodness in everything

Grace, she's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk
She travels outside of karma
She travels outside of karma
When she goes to work
You can hear her strings
Grace finds beauty in everything

Grace, she carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips between her fingertips
She carries a pearl in perfect condition

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because Grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

Grace makes beauty out of ugly things

“You will find no reasonable men on the tops of huge mountains” - Proverb

"I submit to you that if a man hasn't found something he is willing to die for, he isn't fit to live" - Martin Luthor King

"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can stop him lynching me and I think that is pretty important" - Martin Luthor King

“The difference between men and women is that if a woman is forced to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant’s life, she will choose to save the infant’s life without even considering if there is a man on base” - Dave Barry

“Immature poets immatate, mature poets steal” - T.S. Eliot

“Brigands demand your money or your life; women require both.” - Samuel Butler

“An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex.” - Edgar Wallace

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it.” W.C. Fields

“Giving up smoking is easy...I've done it hundreds of times.” - Mark Twain

“Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.” - Mark Twain

“We agreed that Jesus was very well adjusted for an only child.” - Woody Allen

“The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.” - Groucho Marx

“You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.” - Jeanette Rankin

“I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.” - Albert Einstein

“An eye for an eye will make us all blind” - Gandhi

“All the world over, I will back the masses against the classes.” - William Gladstone

"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals." - Benjamin Franklin

“Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.” - Dennis Wholey

"I know I believe in nothing, but it is MY nothing" - Richie Edwards

"The slave begins by demanding justice and ends by wanting to wear a crown." - Albert Camus

"Freedom Of Speech won't feed my children" - Nicky Wire

“Fighting For Peace Is Like Screwing For Virginity” – George Carlin

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I’m not so sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

"The trouble with being punctual is that no-one is there to appreciate it." - Franklin P. Jones

“It’s better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven’t” - (Uncertain)

-----------------------------

"Work like you don't need the money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
Live like there's no tomorrow,
And dance like no-one's watching" - Paul Hewson (Forgotten original source)

-----------------------------

"You gave me nothing, now it's all I've got"

"You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking and scream without raising your voice"

"You're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has seen, a place that has to be believed to be seen"

"Fact is fiction and T.V.: reality"

"Nothing changes on New Year's Day"

"HOW LONG MUST WE SING THIS SONG?"

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei

"Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die." - Martin Luther

"Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. " - Mother Teresa

"I just want to do God's will. And he's allowed me to go to the mountain. And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land! I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"It's interesting how sex has a time limit on satisfaction, but we have no time limit on pursuing it." - Myself

Back
Top Bottom