Question of the Day: Homosexuality - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
or, to put it another way, I REALLY NEED SOMEONE TO FEEL BETTER THAN BECAUSE I'VE BEEN VOTING AGAINST MY OWN ECONOMIC SELF-INTERESTS AND NOW HAVE FAILING SCHOOLS, FEWER BENEFITS, WAGES THAT DO NOT KEEP UP WITH INFLATION, AND THE MIDDLE CLASS REMAINS AS OUT OF REACH AS EVER AS THE WEALTHY GET THEIR TAXES CUT. WELL, AT LEAST I'M NOT A FAGGOT!!!
That's certainly part of the equation. And some not-so-liberal activists in the Appalachian region have gone as far as to say "morality" is merely an excuse to avoid the real problems going on. For a region that is literally a mess, it's obviously an easy way to divert from the real problems.

Here's an article in a similar vein that happened today:

Quote:
Navajo President Vetoes Gay Marriage Ban

(Window Rock, Arizona) A ban on same-sex marriage approved by the Navajo Tribal Council last month banning same-sex marriage has been vetoed by Navajo President Joe Shirley Jr..

The national reservation extends into three states: New Mexico, Arizona and Utah.

The Tribal Council voted unanimously April 23 in favor of restricting a recognized union to that between a man and a woman, and prohibit plural marriages as well as marriages between close relatives.

Critics have said the measure was attempting to rewrite cultural history to parallel the clash across the United States between conservative Christians and gay rights activists.

"Same-sex marriage is a non-issue on Navajo land," Shirley said as he vetoed the legislation. "So why waste time and resources on it? We have more important issues to address."

Shirley suggested, however, he would support the Council if it wanted to put the issue before voters in the form of a referendum.

He said, in a prepared statement, that he strongly supports and encourages family stability but criticized the Council for not doing enough about domestic violence, sexual assault and gangs on the reserve.

Shirley went on to note that the marriage ban contradicts Navajo teachings of nondiscrimination.
Even Indian tribes are falling prey to the same old crap: religion being used as an excuse to avoid the real problems.

Melon

Old 05-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the soul waits

Instead of getting apalled (sp), getting angry or crawling into the victim-role : be living proof that you're as "worthy" as the straight folk by being a positive role-model.
Gays and lesbians have been positive role models for a long time now. That doesn't mean they can't fight for their rights, too, and if they do fight for their rights that doesn't mean they're "crawling into a victim rolel." Quite the contrary.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:55 PM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life

Let's put it this way:

1) White people in the media are portrayed as either wealthy or upper middle class.

2) Black people in the media are portrayed as poor most of the time.

3) Hispanics are mostly portrayed as "servants" for wealthy people, although there are a handful of notable exceptions out there. There is some nuance.

4) Gays are portrayed as depressed and sex-obsessed, not to mention immature and irresponsible.

What I hate, most of all, is how media stereotypes determine how people are portrayed. I shouldn't have to prove that I'm "as worthy" as straight folk, because "straight folk" don't have to prove anything to anyone. Heterosexuals can be as righteous or hedonistic as they want, and no one will label all heterosexuals based on their behavior. But homosexuals? Oh no...we're supposed to somehow act 10x better than straight society, and maybe then, straight society might throw us a legislative bone. Well, I've got two words for straight society...

Melon
Old 05-02-2005, 05:42 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Well put.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
4) Gays are portrayed as depressed and sex-obsessed, not to mention immature and irresponsible.

i'd say that we're now replacing the slightly overweight, bitter, cynical female protaganist's best friend as the new, primary dispenser of relationship advice in 21st century romantic comedies. we're kind, dress well, real skinny, and have no love life at all, so it's interesting that a gorgeous, succesful-in-life-unlucky-in-love urban female would consult such a one-dimensional character for advice on that somewhat aloof yet seductively butch straight man who's afraid of commitment but just might be the answer to the successful-but-unlucky-in-love straight girl's prayers.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:11 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'd say that we're now replacing the slightly overweight, bitter, cynical female protaganist's best friend as the new, primary dispenser of relationship advice in 21st century romantic comedies. we're kind, dress well, real skinny, and have no love life at all, so it's interesting that a gorgeous, succesful-in-life-unlucky-in-love urban female would consult such a one-dimensional character for advice on that somewhat aloof yet seductively butch straight man who's afraid of commitment but just might be the answer to the successful-but-unlucky-in-love straight girl's prayers.
Don't forget: "No" means "playing hard to get" and the first date is always love at first sight. Not to mention that stalking laws and restraining orders don't exist.

Melon
Old 05-03-2005, 05:46 AM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:

"Let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel."

Melon
I prefer national geographic

I will have a chance then...
Old 05-03-2005, 05:53 AM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

When gays and lesbians are already running hi-powered organizations and holding positions of authority and esteem from Washington to Hollywood, not to mention the fact that they're our trusted neighbors, teachers, doctors, lawyers, parents, and friends, it's quite insulting to keep asking them to prove themselves to white society.

It's a similar plight that women have faced. I actually remember telling a woman friend many years ago that she should stop whining about sexism in the workplace and just assume the position of equality, which is what I thought I'd been doing all those years. But here it is 12 years later and I work for an organization that is run by women. We have a male President and a staff of 12 women who basically the run the place and run it extremely well. Recently we received the Governor's Award for Excellence which sounds kind of cheesy but is actually something taken quite seriously locally. We're an organization that has a reputation for being very liberal and progressive. We take risks others don't take. But at the end of the day, I realize that the reason there are 12 women working for 1 man is because we're still good servants. It's not just a straight white world, it's a straight white male world and everyone else is still 'proving' themselves. How much is enough?

Sorry, I got all fired up about this in bed this morning, lol.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 AM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh that reminds me:

5) Women are portrayed as "empowered" on the surface, but are still subject to crying fits, whereas they need a man to "give them strength."

Melon
Old 05-03-2005, 09:40 AM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Oh that reminds me:

5) Women are portrayed as "empowered" on the surface, but are still subject to crying fits, whereas they need a man to "give them strength."

Melon

or that women can be either successful in work, or in love, but not in both. that successful career-driven women are cold-hearted bitches who need their hearts warmed by loveable, offbeat characters who remind them how to live again.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #116
She's the One

Local Time: 05:50 AM
You all are really cheering me up today.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Doesn't that silly word "bigot" work both ways?

Aren't those who don't accept that some people have a problem with homosexuality bigots? It's just that I've seen that word thrown around so much that it's becoming worthless.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
Aren't those who don't accept that some people have a problem with homosexuality bigots?
With that logic, those who don't accept that the KKK hates black people and other minorities are bigots too. I guess that makes black people bigots then for speaking out against bigotry directed at them.

Of course, I won't think of anything that silly. But when I read such a nonsensical argument like that above, it makes me ask different questions.

Melon
Old 05-03-2005, 08:26 PM   #119
Blue Crack Supplier

^ ditto
Old 05-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #120
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:50 AM
^ Triple that.