Question of the Day: Homosexuality - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Crazy how the "open minded" people can't seem to accept that some people--for religious beliefs or whatnot-- think homosexuality is wrong and aren't bigots. I personally view it to be wrong, and I am certainly not a bigot. Anyone who says otherwise can go f*ck themselves. I have a couple gay co-workers whom I am friends with and I treat them just as I would treat anyone else. I could care less what people do behind closed doors, but what pisses me off is having all this shit shoved down my throat and basically being told "if you think what we're doing is wrong, your a bigot." For example, I was in Chicago a couple years back and there was a "gay pride parade," which it seemed that 50% of the people were acting like they were part of a freak show. Do they really think this is helping gay rights causes? Not a bit. This sort of thing is what's holding a lot of people back, IMO.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:52 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
I could care less what people do behind closed doors
Maybe you should have added something about 'political correctness GONE MAD' and about how some liberals are SO ILLIBERAL and INTOLERANT, etc, etc

Cliche alert!! Call the cliche police!!

Old 04-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

There's was a song in England called "Sing if you're glad to be gay" in the 1980's.
Tom Robinson of

Tom Robinson Band.

great live show
Old 04-30-2005, 06:06 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:
Crazy how the "open minded" people can't seem to accept that some people--for religious beliefs or whatnot-- think homosexuality is wrong and aren't bigots. I personally view it to be wrong, and I am certainly not a bigot. Anyone who says otherwise can go f*ck themselves. I have a couple gay co-workers whom I am friends with and I treat them just as I would treat anyone else. I could care less what people do behind closed doors, but what pisses me off is having all this shit shoved down my throat and basically being told "if you think what we're doing is wrong, your a bigot." For example, I was in Chicago a couple years back and there was a "gay pride parade," which it seemed that 50% of the people were acting like they were part of a freak show. Do they really think this is helping gay rights causes? Not a bit. This sort of thing is what's holding a lot of people back, IMO.

if it isn't a choice -- and no one believes it is -- how could it possibly be wrong? you can't compare sexual orientation to a specific behavior, like kleptomania. it isn't just about sex, it's about emotional attraction and attachment.

i think it's perfectly valid to think it's "gross"; i think onions are gross. thinking it's wrong, however, does little but find some small way for people to place themselves above another group of people.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Crazy how the "open minded" people can't seem to accept that some people--for religious beliefs or whatnot-- think homosexuality is wrong and aren't bigots. I personally view it to be wrong, and I am certainly not a bigot.

If a person said to Jewish people their practices and belief systems are wrong
and their souls will not be redeemed.
Would you consider that to be bigoted?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:19 PM   #51
The Fly

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Answer is NO

Seem to me that if it's OK for someone to say my sexuality is ""wrong", then it's also OK for me to say they're a bigot.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:19 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

"Let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel."

Melon
i like that song
Old 04-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Seeking Adam
Answer is NO

Seem to me that if it's OK for someone to say my sexuality is ""wrong", then it's also OK for me to say they're a bigot.
A guestion to those who think homosexuality is wrong, but don't think they are bigots. If you think a homosexual person shouldn't be offended that you think homosexuality is wrong (even if you are nice to that person), why are you offended when you are called a bigot?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:33 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Re: Question of the Day: Homosexuality

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

My question: do you believe it is possible for a person to believe that homosexuality is inherently wrong and not be a bigot?
No.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:55 AM
A good question, indra.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Grrrrrl
As for gay marriage - well, crap, with a 50%+ divorce rate in the US among traditional marriages, you can't argue that the sanctity of marriage is threatened. We breeders are threatening the sanctity of marriage all by ourselves.
I am just waiting for the day when this concept finally sinks into the heads of society in general. Until people get their own relationships figured out, I suggest they not run around trying to control other people's.

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I'm unsure if I want children at all, but I don't see "adoption" as defective or lesser. Apparently, that must be why gay couples are used very often as "foster parents" and have been for years.

The only issues we face are those imposed on us by straight society, which is seemingly incapable of accepting anything different from themselves. But, as I see it, that's not our problem; that's your problem to take care of.
. Same with Irvine's posts, too.

In regards to the whole thing about normality, personally, I don't think there is such a thing as normal. Everybody has something about them that others would see as "abnormal" or "odd" or "different", be it a mannerism, or the types of people they're interested in, or a belief, or a way of speaking, or a way of eating, or the way they dress, or whatever.

Also, in regards to it being natural, keep in mind that there have been documented cases of wild animals exhibiting homosexual behaviors. Now, seeing as that happens, do those who may believe it's a choice feel that those animals therefore chose to be that way? If the answer to that is no, why must it be any different with humans?

Angela
Old 04-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #56
She's the One

Quote:
Crazy how the "open minded" people can't seem to accept that some people--for religious beliefs or whatnot-- think homosexuality is wrong and aren't bigots. I personally view it to be wrong, and I am certainly not a bigot.
So I can think that being male is wrong, I can pass laws limiting men's access to certain rights, I can quietly encourage the persecution of men, I can openly declare that being male is against God, and I'm not a bigot?

Woo-hoo! Somebody elect me to Congress!!
Old 04-30-2005, 10:56 PM   #57
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:55 PM
I've a question. Don't construe this as support for either side - I'm not interested in entering this debate. Nonetheless, I was reading the thread and this question came to mind, so I thought I'd ask it.

Many people are personally opposed to sex outside of marriage, and divorce, but respect the rights of others to do both. I've never heard those people called bigots. How are they different from those who are personally opposed to homosexuality but respect the rights of others to be homosexual and believe people should marry whoever they like?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #58
War Child

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I've a question. Don't construe this as support for either side - I'm not interested in entering this debate. Nonetheless, I was reading the thread and this question came to mind, so I thought I'd ask it.

Many people are personally opposed to sex outside of marriage, and divorce, but respect the rights of others to do both. I've never heard those people called bigots. How are they different from those who are personally opposed to homosexuality but respect the rights of others to be homosexual and believe people should marry whoever they like?
I think it's equating "choice" (i.e. to choose to have sex outside of marriage or to choose to divorce) with something that's not a choice...it's a natural state of being (i.e. homosexuality). The comparison is unfair.

When people say sex outside of marriage is wrong, they're disagreeing with a choice someone's making. When they say homosexuality is wrong, they're disagreeing with someone's essense...basically saying their very existence is wrong. Sure, they can think they're not being bigoted...just very logical and even sometimes very helpful. Many of these people resort to the argument that homosexuality's "wrong," not in that moral way, just in that natural abberation way...you know, it's a disease. It can be cured. After all, there are only 10% of the people that have this disease...it's almost the same as left-handedness...that also is probably a genetic wonkiness that should be corrected because, let's face it, the world is mostly designed for right-handed people.

Jesus, all these hundreds of threads and thousands and thousands of arguments and still not one LOGICAL argument from people (not you Axver) who say homosexuality is wrong or gay marriage is wrong.

I don't know how melon or irvine have the patience.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:14 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Homosexuality is natural because love and sexual desire is natural.

You don't choose to be gay and it comes as naturally as heterosexuality. It's just not as common.

Remember, just because it takes a man and a woman to reproduce doesnt mean that gay sex is pointless or not normal.

Sex is more about enjoyment than anything...
Old 05-01-2005, 06:11 AM   #60
Refugee

Local Time: 09:55 AM
one thing that seems a bit strange to me is.. although everyone says its not a choice, and being a straight guy i wouldnt know anyway, what is the big deal if it WAS a choice?

think about religion. which religion you follow is your choice, and you should not be discriminated against because of your choice. so, if you choose to be gay, so what? i mean, some of you who are against gay marriage cause its not natural or something, i dont think that argument hold on its own - at all.

this is about the PERSONAL freedoms, no one cares if they think it is right or wrong, or natural or a choice, because what people do about their sexuality is nobody's business.

(i am just watching a documentary on MTV about gay couple's TRYING to get married, in boston, and there are all these old people on the streets protesting 'jesus against gays' or 'jesus says no'. idiots.)