Question about the afterlife...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always wondered about that too - like how will it be for someone like a widow who had 2, maybe 3 husbands that she really and truly loved? I doubt our marital relationships on earth will carry over to heaven..... I'd like to think that we'll all know each other, whether we've met on earth or not, and have perfect relationships.

Then again, I think we will all be *much* more (if not solely) focused on worshipping God and giving him glory, and we may not even be aware of (or pay much attention to) the other souls there.

yes.

yes.

we do and we will.

ive read many many books on this.
read danion brinkley.

a great author.

bls-
'let what god has brought together let no man bring asunder'

db9

diamond said:

bls-

db9

From "The Princess Bride":

"I do nah think tha means wha you think it means".

Like I said - what about someone who has been married several times? Not like with divorce and remarriage, but like in a case where someone was widowed?

diamond said:
altho i know i will b in hell if i still know some of u in the afterlife

Ouch baby. Very ouch. :|

but of course you didn't mean *me*, right? :sexywink:

diamond said:
altho i know i will b in hell if i still know some of u in the afterlife:sexywink:

thank u
db9
:)

db9's right. It all depends on which afterlife.

As for heaven, BLS is correct. Being in the presense of God is something far beyond what we can comprehend here on earth.

:wave:

Last edited:
diamond said:
yes.

yes.

we do and we will.

ive read many many books on this.
read danion brinkley.

a great author.

bls-

db9

I hope you're right so I can nag and bitch for eternity. :wave:

Last edited:
Like O2 said:

What is this "bls" and "BSL"? I'm going to be embarrassed if it's something really obvious?

My bad. Edited for proper accredidation. Bonosloveslave, BLS, or Beth.

Last edited:
Since I do not profess to believe in any organized religion, I can't say that I believe in a heaven. I'm of the opinion that our souls will be passed on into the physical manifestation of another being.

That being said I think that we will encounter our former friends/spouses/kin in our next lives, but I doubt that we will know them in that sense. I believe that we will feel a common bond with those individuals like we do with our current family and friends. We've all heard the term "Kindred Spirits", right? Well, that's what I believe is our way of connecting with the souls of our past.

Call me crazy, but there's just as much solid proof that this is a reality as with any majoring practicing religion.

LikeO2: For the record, let it be known that I hope to run into your spirit in many lives to come. :).........The same goes for Diamond.........You conservative son-of-a-b***** ;)

Danospano said:
Since I do not profess to believe in any organized religion, I can't say that I believe in a heaven. I'm of the opinion that our souls will be passed on into the physical manifestation of another being.

This makes me think of The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. :sad:

Well heres the deal, to you believers and various pagans;), it will happpen.

Talk to any nurse in an E.R. room
any Hospice worker..that are around dying ppl.
The story is usually the same or similar.

Friendly spirits that have past on usually are there in a different realm whom the dying person recognizes and sometimes calls them by name:yes:
These spirits are usually family members that have passed on previously and are there to greet the dying person into the afterlife..
The dying ppl "see" the spirits w their "spiritual" eyes while the nurses and Drs cannot.:adam:
Too many document cases..for a coincidence..

Even when Sam Kinison the comedian died in a horrific car accident, he conversed w spirits for about a minute or 2, as he was bleeding internally , telling the spirts he didnt want to proceed into the next life..he finally relented and passed on..

So b sure your houses are in order and the rent is paid..:angry:

DB9

Last edited:
diamond said:

Friendly spirits that have past on usually are there in a different realm whom the dying person recognizes and sometimes calls them by name:yes:
These spirits are usually family members that have passed on previously and are there to greet the dying person into the afterlife..
The dying ppl "see" the spirits w their "spiritual" eyes while the nurses and Drs cannot.:adam:

Even when Sam Kinison the comedian died in a horrific car accident, he conversed w spirits for about a minute or 2, as he was bleeding internally , telling the spirts he didnt want to proceed into the next life..he finally relented and passed on..

DB9

wow!

:ohmy:

diamond said:
Well heres the deal, to you believers and various pagans;), it will happpen.

Talk to any nurse in an E.R. room
any Hospice worker..that are around dying ppl.
The story is usually the same or similar.

DB9

This is also what I believe. I was sitting with my Grandfather during the last moments of his life. He was dying of stomach cancer and had been in terrible pain for weeks. He had been drifting in and out consciousness for most of the night, crying at times, yelling incoherently other times.

The hospice nurse told us when it was time and our family gathered around him to say goodbye. His face suddenly changed from a grimace of pain to a peaceful smile and he started to have a conversation with someone who was obviously not in the room with us. His words were very clear and he was talking about being on a boat, ready to start a trip. This lasted for about 10 minutes and he actually smiled and laughed, so whoever he was talking to was someone he knew well and was happy to see.

We tried talking to him but I don't think he was in our world at that point and he finally closed his eyes, smiled and took his last breath. I feel like someone was there, talking to him and telling him it was okay to let go.

Bono's American Wife said:

This is also what I believe. I was sitting with my Grandfather during the last moments of his life. He was dying of stomach cancer and had been in terrible pain for weeks. He had been drifting in and out consciousness for most of the night, crying at times, yelling incoherently other times.

The hospice nurse told us when it was time and our family gathered around him to say goodbye. His face suddenly changed from a grimace of pain to a peaceful smile and he started to have a conversation with someone who was obviously not in the room with us. His words were very clear and he was talking about being on a boat, ready to start a trip. This lasted for about 10 minutes and he actually smiled and laughed, so whoever he was talking to was someone he knew well and was happy to see.

We tried talking to him but I don't think he was in our world at that point and he finally closed his eyes, smiled and took his last breath. I feel like someone was there, talking to him and telling him it was okay to let go.

I'm not trying to demean your grandfather's final moments, but while you see his actions as a crossover to another dimension, I see a man halucinating due to a great deal of stress and pain.

I'm humble enough to point out that I don't know the truth. In fact, I've always stated this is threads dealing with religion. I tend to look at these matters in a scientific sense, rather than speculating on the supernatural tendecies of human existence.

However, you were there beside your grandfather and I was not. I'll take your account and remember it if it ever happens to me.

:wave:

Bono's American Wife said:

. His face suddenly changed from a grimace of pain to a peaceful smile and he started to have a conversation with someone who was obviously not in the room with us. His words were very clear and he was talking about being on a boat, ready to start a trip.

this is usually how it happens..
all the stories are very very similar.

When children have gone into the afterlife after being pronounced "clinically" dead and returned to this life they tell of which doctors were in the ER room trying to resisitate them ,what they were wearing, on that day, and tell of the realtives who they had never met who have passed on long before them, on the other side, who they conversed while being pronounced clinically dead..

Children that have nothing to gain by lying.

The evidence is there ppl.

DB9

diamond said:

The evidence is there ppl.

DB9

I have some questions on this subject that I would like to ask you about Dave, if you don't mind. I'll PM you later.

i think i've always *hoped* there was an afterlife.

but in this lifetime, i don't really believe in reincarnation. perhaps in another one, I will.

GREAT subject!!

Although the thought of dying scares the piss outta me, this is one of my favorite subjects (the afterlife, that is.....not the process of getting there).

The story of Sam Kinison's death is very, very interesting. The friend who was holding him while he was having this "mysterious conversation" was a fellow-comedian. I watched an interview with this guy (can't recall his name), and he said he is convinced of an afterlife, and that there's "no way you could've been there and NOT believe in an afterlife." He said that he actually "felt" Sam Kinison "leave."

I think he said Kinison's last words were, "But...I don't want to die" followed by, "ooooooh.....okay....okay."

Perhaps the neatest story I've read on this subject is that of Johnny Cash's older brother, who died when they were kids. In one of his books, J.C. said that his brother told his mom not to cry for him because he was going to a beautiful city, and he asked everyone in the room if they could hear the beautiful singing.

Re: GREAT subject!!

bonofnattic said:

Perhaps the neatest story I've read on this subject is that of Johnny Cash's older brother, who died when they were kids. In one of his books, J.C. said that his brother told his mom not to cry for him because he was going to a beautiful city, and he asked everyone in the room if they could hear the beautiful singing.

this is common too.
singing and heavenly cities..usually after the realives and journey thru the tunnel.

very similar.

db9

Danospano said:

I'm not trying to demean your grandfather's final moments, but while you see his actions as a crossover to another dimension, I see a man halucinating due to a great deal of stress and pain.

But why should he hallucinate about a boat ride? And why did his face relax if it was great stress and pain?

I don?t know what to believe about seeing other spirits again... but I don?t think all religions put such heavy importance on afterlife bc there is just nothing. At least, i am sure there happens a transfomation of energy.

Danospano, also if you don?t believe in any religion, the quest if there is an afterlife can be clearly answered w yes; depending on how we define afterlife. Let me explain.

You know that every body is made up of molecules, then atoms, then elementary parts. Now, those are not "physical" parts in a sense, but waves, its energy. We all are made up of energy, everything is made up of energy swinging around, sometimes "in tune". So, when we die physically, anyway our mortal body doesn?t stop to be energy, it just transcends. The elementary parts don?t die. Whether the worms eat your body or your body is burnt or whatever, energy stays the same. And this is afterlife too, possibly without a conscience, possibly without meeting your best friends and going for a Guiness w him in God?s Almighty Bar (or Mephisto nightclub) - but sth. stays.

Then, there are all those traditions; in African cultures we got masks representing forefathers, apart from religions and stuff.

I think there is something - we?ll all find out sooner or later what it is.

last summer a good friend of mine went hiking in the desert. he was irresponsible and went without the proper supplies. (temperatures here have reached as high as 120-130 degrees) he was gone for two days when they found him. his body came back, but his spirit stayed behind. in my kitchen i have camel bells, from india, and for three days after i would hear the bells softly, ever so softly ringing...very faintly, like a gentle vibration. i do not know where we go when we are gone, either...but i have never heard those bells ring before (they are flat against the wall) and i have not heard them since the third day after i lost my friend. who knows? maybe it was his way of telling me goodbye...

Back
Top Bottom