Question About Christianity... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Question About Christianity...

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm looking for some insight about what the most major/fundemental differences between Protestants and Catholics is...anyone?

Old 04-19-2005, 09:13 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 02:33 AM
I don't know much but I think one of the main ones is that protestants believe that only god can forgive your sins whereas catholics believe that a priest can.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:33 PM
There are unique differences, I don't know ALL of them, maybe some of our theologian-types would be happy to further fill us in.

Catholic - faith and good works get you in to heaven.
Protestant - faith alone can get you into heaven.

Catholic - scripture is not the final authority.
Protestant - often accept scripture as the final authority.

Catholic - belief in purgatory.
Protestant - usually dismiss purgatory.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Since I was raised by both protestant and catholic parents I have my own view of the differences though I see strong family values and traditions from both.
Fundamentaly it seems like the difference is in the structure. The catholic faith has the pope as a leader, the priests can not marry, are not as accepting as females as a head of religious sect(s) and holds Mary in high esteem and clearly conservative to change, though this kind of structure has for centuries held many many people within it's faith. They practice confession privatley.

Protestant has no direct authoritative leader but directly worship the same God with the same general service (slight difference in the apostle's creed and in my religion you can obtain communion as a confirmed christian). Religious leaders are not sainted, but hed in high regard for contributions made to the faith (take Martin Luther as an example). Though they hold Mary in high regard because she was 'chosen' she is not worshipped in the same manner. The religious leaders are able to marry...and some are female. Confession is general and done as a congregation as a part of service.

I do have my personal biases though, so please do not let these cloud your opinion. I did attend mass as a child and clearly was never allowed to receive communion in a Roman Catholic church and when I asked the attending priest if I could join so I could obtain communion he actually asked me to denounce my protestant Father first because he refused to convert to the faith. Anyone who truly loves their Father would never consider doing this. I do understand that this might not be true now...and may have just been that particular priest, but it did mark my decision which may have been a small blessing because I also wanted to be a Nun when I grew up and a nurse is more fitting.

It was God I was looking for and I found him open armed at an ELCA Lutheran church when I needed him, though I strongly believe that all religions celebrate one God together though he may have many names.
<...one heart, one God, one mind, one soul>
Old 04-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Thanks for clearing much of that up. I've taken two tests today, and my mind feels like mush. Explained better than I could, even on a good day.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by therulz
Confession is general and done as a congregation as a part of service.
Are you talking about in a prayer, something as nondescript as "forgive us our sins, Lord"? Because other than that, I'd have to say that Protestants don't do any kind of official public confession whatsoever.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Protestants also don't pray to the Saints, and in fact, our definition of "saint" is very different. To be considered a saint among Protestants, all a person has to be is a born again Christian.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

And of course, Catholic girls start much too late.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
War Child

My dad always said the difference is in the word ALONE. Protestants believe christ ALONE can save you, while Catholics believe that its Jesus + Works. Protestants believe that the Bible ALONE is the Word fo God, while Catholics believe there are other inspired writings. Those are the two main ones, I believe.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:40 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
And of course, Catholic girls start much too late.
But sooner or later it comes down to fate...
Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

With regard to Catholics and their relationship to Mary and saints. We don't worship them in the same way we worship God. To do so would imply divinity--something only God has.

This link might clarify
http://www.americancatholic.org/Feat...ry_worship.asp
Old 04-20-2005, 07:48 AM   #12
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Are you talking about in a prayer, something as nondescript as "forgive us our sins, Lord"? Because other than that, I'd have to say that Protestants don't do any kind of official public confession whatsoever.
I've been in both Lutheran and Episcopal church services in which there is a specific, public, and communal forgiveness prayer. In the Lutheran church much of my family attends, the confession and forgiveness rite is the very first thing we do before starting the liturgy proper.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:22 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:33 PM
Take a look back at the reasons for the Reformation to see some of the fundamental differences.

One of the primary differences is the need for an intercessor, or eliminating that need in the Reformed tradition. Modern parlance would call this having a "personal relationship" with God.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

I would disagree with the assumption that Catholics "need" an intercessor. My interpretation of the difference is that Catholics have many ways of creating a relationship with God, both directly as well as through intercessors like Mary and the saints.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:43 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

Catholic - faith and good works get you in to heaven.
Protestant - faith alone can get you into heaven.
This is why I could never be Catholic. The most fundamental belief of Protestantism is that through Christ alone you are able to accept God's Grace and be forgiven. Also, like Doug was saying, I do not believe that for my faith to be genuine anyone or anything can stand between myself and God. No priest, no Church, no nothing, sorry.