question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megaman x 2.0

The Fly
if reality is a crutch for those who cant handle drugs, then why are drugs used by those who wnat to escape reality?or is one right where as the othere i wrong?...

its just a philosphical question. what is your take on it.

No, another perspective on reality just can be very pleasant sometimes.

Just like I love to eat pizza, but I wouldn't want it every day...

I would never consider reality a crutch. Reality is life. If your life is a crutch, what is it a crutch for??

not dead but..

reality is actually nothing more than your perception on life...so it can be a crutch in that you create it to help you cope with what is going on in your life, just like drugs can help you escape it...

i totally agree with megaman...drugs it just another short term feel. it's another world for a short time, an escape. but some enjoy it so much they don't ever want to come back to reality. reality isn't that hard, it depends on the person who thinks they can't handle it, they escape for awhile and find it harder to come back.

I think those who want to escape a harsh reality have other, harmless, ways to do it: becoming a rock band fan:), a sports fan, engulfing oneself in a book or a movie or simply letting go of one's imagination in day-dreaming. But eventually they all have to come back and face reality as it is. I don't think there's a way to 'handle drugs', either you don't take them or you become an addict.

but Anca_ro

while there may be other ways of handeling a harsh reality than drugs, but people will still use drugs when enjoying these other things even if they aren't trying to escape anything. its easy to pass cigarets and beer as a normal part of socity when their effects are worse than any drug out there.while it is possible to do a drug and not become an addict, i wonder about those who get their drugs perscribed becuse of things like depression, anxiaty, and the like...are they consided addicts because there is a need ofr these things in their system, or are they victims of a life that was thrust upon them..does these mean drugs become their new reality, or do we call them addicts, because in the end of the day, they're still useing drugs, cept this time its legal... rember i said that reality is what you create to handle life...

I think anything that gets someone addicted is a drug, may it be cigarettes, coffee or legally prescribed medicines. The only difference is in the degree in which it affects health - I'm sure that if cigarettes were proven to affect health quicker, they would've been deemed illegal. While there are diseases which can be cured only by medication, I think most 'psychological' diseases can be cured by proper interaction with the person - getting them drugs makes them only escape their problems, not solve them.

if anything that gets a person addicted is a drug, then every1 is an addict in one way or another to their own private drug. just instead of poping pills or sparking something up, they buy something, steal something, read something, etc.it all provides the same result,a way to escapeing their present reality.so how is a person who users other avenues to escape any diffrent than a person who takes a pill and fades into their own world..the person is still creating an alternate reality to slip into for a moment, but instead of useing convetional drugs, they're useing non chemical methods.

am i even making sense?

megaman x 2.0 said:
if reality is a crutch for those who cant handle drugs, then why are drugs used by those who wnat to escape reality?or is one right where as the othere i wrong?...

who said that reality is the crutch for people who can't handle drugs?

i don't do drugs other than alcohol (which is legally a drug :rolleyes: ). even then, i don't ESCAPE my reality with drinking. you're always going to get back to your life, and that's what makes drinking, or i suppose other drugs, appealing to people who want to give up. because they don't realize that they have to come back to it and that it's the drugs, not the life that's the crutch. so to cure that, they use harder drugs, or simply use more often. which gets them a different reality, though sober people would never call a drug-induced stupor reality. but addicts take it seriously, cos it's theirs.

point being: just like bc said, reality isn't a crutch it's a reality, not matter what you make it.

Back
Top Bottom