Quebec To Require Muslim Women To Remove Veils To Vote - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Again I think the issue here is less that the tiny number of Muslim women in Quebec who wear niqab objected to unveiling for a poll worker, than the way some people reacted when the government initially indicated it wasn't necessary for them to unveil--that they could just come with a third party who would vouch for their identity, as voters without photo ID are allowed to do.
A-ha.

What Quebec lawmakers are really saying:

"You are brown and Muslim and we don't quite understand your ways, so you have to follow different rules than everyone else because quite simply we don't trust that you won't destroy our society."

those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it

ETA: Holy hell, that's picture gets sadder the more I see it...

Old 03-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

A-ha.

What Quebec lawmakers are really saying:

"You are brown and Muslim and we don't quite understand your ways, so you have to follow different rules than everyone else because quite simply we don't trust that you won't destroy our society."

those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it

ETA: Holy hell, that's picture gets sadder the more I see it...
Yeah it's those mean racist politicians who hate the Muslim race so much that they have to put an end to the Islamic Freedom Sack

Old 03-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Perhaps my previous post was a little over the top. Plus, I didn't mean politicians. I was talking about the ones who, in yolland's words, got upset because ID-less Muslim women were bringing third parties to vouch for them when everyone has been allowed to do that for years: "Again I think the issue here is less that the tiny number of Muslim women in Quebec who wear niqab objected to unveiling for a poll worker, than the way some people reacted when the government initially indicated it wasn't necessary for them to unveil".

While I think that voting without proper ID (which includes third-party vouching) should not be allowed for anyone, I'm referring to the people who are getting angry over veiled Muslim womens' ability to do so, assuming that these women by default are dishonest or trying to hide something and can't be trusted to vote like every other Quebecker.