Putting living cows into boiling water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sloane Peterson said:
Haha yes, humans were once strictly meat eating, but then came the wonderful Agricultural Revolution which meant longer life spans for humans (because their source of food was not only based on the day's catch. It became a balance of the catch plus the careful planning of crops. Humans became just a tad bit more evolved than raw meat eating cavemen.

Not quite... I suggest you take a look into the research of physical anthropologists like George Armelagos. For humans in antiquity, the Agricultural Revolution caused an overall negative impact on the quality of health. Those "raw meat eating cavemen" you mention (oh dear, my archaeology professor would be spinning in his grave, if he had one) were actually healthier than those who adopted agriculture. Hunter-gatherers had diets that featured much greater variety. They did not eat meat exclusively. Rather, they foraged for nuts and edible plants IN ADDITION to their meat. Conversely, agriculturalists tended to rely on only a few primary crops, such as maize, that were lacking in many essential nutrients. This caused significant health problems (bacterial infection being one of the most serious) and stunted growth. All the evidence is right there in the bones.

If you are interested, a link: http://www.cast.uark.edu/local/icaes/conferences/wburg/posters/cslarsen/larsen.html

Yes, thank goodness for the "wonderful" Agricultural Revolution! :happy: On a side note, that article brings up a point that always makes me smile: the reduction of facial bone size in response to a diet consisting largely of soft grains. Whenever I hear vegetarians complaining about the pain of wisdom tooth extraction I have to suppress the urge to giggle.

So when it comes to deciding what kind of food I want to eat, I think I'll follow the example of the "raw meat eating cavemen."

Last edited:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

So when it comes to deciding what kind of food I want to eat, I think I'll follow the example of the "raw meat eating cavemen."

And there are many people who claim to have been cured from final stage cancer and other life-threatening diseases by eating raw meat (as well as raw dairy). I confess to have eaten raw meat twice in support of a friend who was trying it when he had cancer. I was still a practicing vegetarian at the time so imagine my horror when the first piece of meat I'd consumed in about 13 or 14 years was raw filet mignon (it wasn't bad, actually, on a lovely bed of greens ...). I loved him that much. It worked for my cat and for some people we knew but my friend couldn't stick with it, and he died shortly afterwards.

I'm just not sure that vegetarians who don't eat meat for reasons of cruelty to animals find the nutritional arguments relevant.

Wisdom teeth? I had mine out and I had pain for about 20 minutes and then I was fine...and I'm a vegetarian. I just went to the dr. and asked him about my diet and he said it was completely fine as long as I kept up other forms of protein. He said "You are healthy...your muscles are not wasting away...as long as you have a balance of other forms of protein, you'll be fine" and that's all I need to know to continue my almost cruelty-free diet. As long as I am not lacking in anything... and keeping all my nutrients, I'm absolutely excited to be a vegetarian because it gives me a whole new insight on finding new and interesting foods to try that I probably wouldn't have tried before.

Last edited:
when i saw this it brought me to tears laughing like hell!! city people..god they have no idea what really goes on getting them their food and shit..even what it takes for veggies...organic HA! boiling live cows HAHAHAHAHA! next time i go to the market i'll use this whole thread as a joke!

Y'know, someone made the comment a bit back about dogs' ears and tails being removed - granted, I haven't read the entire thread, but a little education for you:
Rottweilers, Dobermans, and Pit Bulls are born with floppy ears and tails. They are removed for show. Yep - just for show. To make them look 'tougher'. Usually, with Rotts, only the tail is docked. With Dobermans, the ears are clipped and forced to stand upright with the aid of plastic cones and tape. Pits' ears are cut into tiny little points and their tails docked.
Explain to me why this isn't as upsetting as the agreeably deplorable condition food animals are kept? I mean, seriously, it's pointless.

Admittedly, I'm not quite vegetarian (I happen to like the taste of meat in general, and tofu /sucks/), but I do agree with a lot of the protesting of unnecessary cruelty to /any/ animal, even if I think chickens are useless as a rule.

tanner_sis said:
when i saw this it brought me to tears laughing like hell!! city people..god they have no idea what really goes on getting them their food and shit..even what it takes for veggies...organic HA! boiling live cows HAHAHAHAHA! next time i go to the market i'll use this whole thread as a joke!

Where do you think I live? The whole state of West Virginia is farmland and mountains...we don't have a single city with more that 300,000 people in it.

tanner_sis said:

I think this post is a joke.:|

Sloane Peterson said:

Where do you think I live? The whole state of West Virginia is farmland and mountains...we don't have a single city with more that 300,000 people in it.

I know people from a 85,000 inhabitants city who have no real clue what's going on outside the city. Because, of course, it's all dirty there and stuff.

Worst is, Milka, the biggest chocolate producer in Germany, has been marketing with lila cows for decades. Now, some kids think cows are lila, because they haven't really been outside their city.

Vincent Vega said:

Worst is, Milka, the biggest chocolate producer in Germany, has been marketing with lila cows for decades. Now, some kids think cows are lila, because they haven't really been outside their city.

What??? They're not purple??

:(

I love Milka.

d'oh, purple is it in English. Thank you.

Well, there are cows that have been purple for at least some hours. :wink:

I've read you guys can order Milka with Amazon.com :)

I think it's kind of nasty when you think of what milk really is. I mean, think about it. It's juice from a cow's friggin tits. And they're not small tits either. They're big, fleshy, saggy tits.

Hinder said:
Y'know, someone made the comment a bit back about dogs' ears and tails being removed - granted, I haven't read the entire thread, but a little education for you:
Rottweilers, Dobermans, and Pit Bulls are born with floppy ears and tails. They are removed for show. Yep - just for show.

I am against ear and tail cropping and docking, but it is not/was not done for show.

maycocksean said:
I believe the proper term is "teat"

When I ask my translater for the English term of the German term "Euter", it says "udder".
Teat would only be the part used to suck on.

No, I think the whole "milk from another species" point is a valid one. Me? I love my dairy, so I can overlook the oddness of it.

But you shrouded your point in a veil of "tits."

Liesje said:

I am against ear and tail cropping and docking, but it is not/was not done for show.

Perhaps not originally, but on dogs that are only being shown or used as pets it is purely for looks.

indra said:

Perhaps not originally, but on dogs that are only being shown or used as pets it is purely for looks.

Right, which is why I am opposed to both and am glad it is banned in many countries, because most dogs are just pets. However, the purpose of most dogs is not to be a pet, and most dogs that are shown are also titled in their respective lines of work (or at least they should be!). Dobes have cropped ears and docked tails b/c they are working dogs meant for protection and ringsport so the floppy ears and long tail are dangerous. Erect ears also give the dog a more accurate "cone" for determining the source of a sound. Pointers' tails are so long and thin, if left undocked, they would always be injured while doing fieldwork. I'm less concerned with tail docking than ear cropping, since tail docking is not really a surgery and is done as soon as the pups are born, before they even fully develop their nerves (same for removing dew claws).

I have always wondered how Aussie people defend tail docking by saying the dog's longer hair and low carriage makes it easy for the tail to get snagged during work, when Border Collies to the same jobs at an ever lower carriage and always have tails. :hmm: But whatever the reasons, they are functional, assuming the dog is performing it's function, and not solely a pet.

I like bushy tails and I like prick ears, so I stick to tailed breeds with naturally erect ears.

Oh, and I also think cow's milk is nasty and won't even eat cereal with milk. :barf:

Getting back to boiling cows in water. Can you honestly imagine
a) how big the tanks would have to be
b) The costs involved in keeping the tanks boiling
c) How slow a process it would be

All things considered, i think that would make leather on a par with gold cost wise!

In America, nine times out of ten, it's for show, and for show /only/. Very rarely, you'll run across one that had it done for medical reasons.

I brought it up for a specific reason - cruelty to animals isn't limited to food production. It's sad, but true. I've seen plenty done to domestic animals, yet I see so many people running around protesting food animals being harmed.

I'm also curious as to what people propose to do with these animals after they cease to become money to ranchers and farmers? Realistically speaking, they will not maintain these animals. At best, they'll be turned loose to wreak havoc on ecosystems or just slaughtered. I hesitate to think what the worst may be.

gman said:
Getting back to boiling cows in water. Can you honestly imagine
a) how big the tanks would have to be
b) The costs involved in keeping the tanks boiling
c) How slow a process it would be

All things considered, i think that would make leather on a par with gold cost wise!

Keep this info away from Bush, Cheney & their rancher friends. I can see the $ $ in their eyes already. :wink:

Isn't it cruel that we chop chickens' heads off, tear them limb from limb, deep fry them and eat them?

I don't hear many of you complaining about that.

Back
Top Bottom