Putting living cows into boiling water - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by hawkman


Are you aware those animals (pigs, cows etc) are bred, paid for and raised at someone elses expense for one purpose only and not so you can go down to Petco and pick one out for you to take on walks around the neighborhood ?
I'm not really sure what you're going for here, but just so that we're all clear, pets bought at pet stores are from puppy mills. They (and their parents) have also suffered disgusting conditions of mistreatment, abuse, and neglect. It's irresponsible to buy a dog from a place like Petco (which doesn't sell dogs or cats, but...whatever). Pet store puppy = puppy mill puppy.
__________________

__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje


I'm not really sure what you're going for here, but just so that we're all clear, pets bought at pet stores are from puppy mills.
Puppy mills

I'll never eat another hush puppy.

__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by hawkman


Meat Packing industry, like any other, is covered by labor laws.

if the problem exists, it is due to the business owners, not the TYPE of business

Which areas ONLY have meat-packing jobs availabe ?
no, it is definitely the business all around. this isn't just an individual thing. i'm well versed in this. i've done my research and have based my decision based on that research. as you've probably done the same. so be it.

as for areas with only meat packing jobs, read up on Greenley, CO.
__________________
unico is offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 12:33 AM
I'm not very eager to investigate how ANY of my processed food reaches my table, to be honest.

It sounds horrible but I know the conditions chickens are raised for slaughter in, and I choose not to think about it because, goddammit, I like chicken and it's healthy for me so there.

You definitely have to regulate health and safety in the meat processing/packing industry, but how humane or clean do you expect an industry dedicated to raising animals for slaughter and consumption to be?
__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I'm not very eager to investigate how ANY of my processed food reaches my table, to be honest.

It sounds horrible but I know the conditions chickens are raised for slaughter in, and I choose not to think about it because, goddammit, I like chicken and it's healthy for me so there.

You definitely have to regulate health and safety in the meat processing/packing industry, but how humane or clean do you expect an industry dedicated to raising animals for slaughter and consumption to be?
it's just that...for those people who lead the industry to believe that animals are different than humans, they sure don't seem to treat their employees much differently. human rights are human rights, regardless of the field of work.
__________________
unico is offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Gulf Coast State of Mine
Posts: 3,405
Local Time: 10:33 PM

Sadly, I think this is a hoax that was made up by someone of a "shock jock" mentality to see what kind of reaction it would get from animal rights extremists (notice I did not say "animal rights activists"). In a guilty, sinister way, I can see where the hoaxters would find it comical. I remember severalyears ago in this very forum when an extremist had "read" about the bonsai kittys and came on here ranting about the atrocity which was in fact a myth.

I eat: beef, poultry, pork, fish, shellfish, and occasionally venison, along with vegetables, fruits, grains, dairy products, and numerous foods derived from plant and animal matter.

A Greek-owned cafeteria here in town has very good breaded veal, but I quit ordering it several years ago when my brother (who works in the food industry) told me about the calf-cage & slaughter technique in veal harvesting. I now order either a vegetable plate or the grilled amberjack or baked fish (usually grouper or whatever the market catch is in this area).

All of that being said, I find myself in the rare occasion of agreeing with Irvine511 on the meat-eater vs. vegetarian relationship. I actually completely gave up meat for several months (combination New Year's Resolution/Lent/fitness plan) and did quite well with it. I can exist without meat, but I still enjoy it and I think it best for my personal long-term diet to include meat. But I do not oppose those who choose to follow a vegetarian diet, as long as they don't try to regulate me from being able to enjoy an appetizer of grilled shrimp and an entree of pork-bacon-wrapped beef filet mignon with crab cakes. The insults and intolerance exist on both sides. I'm a proud omnivore, but I've known many people who are proud vegetarians.

I kill: fireants. Anytime I encounter an anthill on my property and I have the resources to destroy it, I do so. Fireants are not native to the U.S. They are not necessary to the food chain or ecosystem of any region of the United States. And they do not have human rights or any other rights. I also kill poison ivy and poison oak plants growing in my yard. If you are copncerned about the rights of fireants or poisonous plants, then I think you are taking it a bit too far.

~U2Alabama

-President, Gulf Coast Chapter of Non-Vegetarian U2 Fans
__________________
U2Bama is offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 12:46 AM   #67
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Welcome back...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 07-14-2007, 01:12 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Gulf Coast State of Mine
Posts: 3,405
Local Time: 10:33 PM

Thanks.

As usual, here today, gone tomorrow...

~U2Alabama
__________________
U2Bama is offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
It sounds horrible but I know the conditions chickens are raised for slaughter in, and I choose not to think about it because, goddammit, I like chicken and it's healthy for me so there.
I stopped eating poultry in general for like, two years because of this.

I had to get some serious reassurance on the subject to enjoy eating chook again, but it still bugs me.

That said, I think I've finally got the courage to live vegetarian for a while. I'm going to try a week starting from tomorrow, or so - and see how I go from there.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 03:12 AM   #70
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk


I stopped eating poultry in general for like, two years because of this.

I had to get some serious reassurance on the subject to enjoy eating chook again, but it still bugs me.

That said, I think I've finally got the courage to live vegetarian for a while. I'm going to try a week starting from tomorrow, or so - and see how I go from there.
I'm glad to hear that you are trying to become a vegetarian. If you want any ideas for good vegetarian food (and believe me, there is many), then just ask me.
__________________
Infinity is offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 03:25 AM   #71
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
Sadly, I think this is a hoax that was made up by someone of a "shock jock" mentality to see what kind of reaction it would get from animal rights extremists (notice I did not say "animal rights activists"). In a guilty, sinister way, I can see where the hoaxters would find it comical. I remember severalyears ago in this very forum when an extremist had "read" about the bonsai kittys and came on here ranting about the atrocity which was in fact a myth.

I eat: beef, poultry, pork, fish, shellfish, and occasionally venison, along with vegetables, fruits, grains, dairy products, and numerous foods derived from plant and animal matter.

A Greek-owned cafeteria here in town has very good breaded veal, but I quit ordering it several years ago when my brother (who works in the food industry) told me about the calf-cage & slaughter technique in veal harvesting. I now order either a vegetable plate or the grilled amberjack or baked fish (usually grouper or whatever the market catch is in this area).

All of that being said, I find myself in the rare occasion of agreeing with Irvine511 on the meat-eater vs. vegetarian relationship. I actually completely gave up meat for several months (combination New Year's Resolution/Lent/fitness plan) and did quite well with it. I can exist without meat, but I still enjoy it and I think it best for my personal long-term diet to include meat. But I do not oppose those who choose to follow a vegetarian diet, as long as they don't try to regulate me from being able to enjoy an appetizer of grilled shrimp and an entree of pork-bacon-wrapped beef filet mignon with crab cakes. The insults and intolerance exist on both sides. I'm a proud omnivore, but I've known many people who are proud vegetarians.

I kill: fireants. Anytime I encounter an anthill on my property and I have the resources to destroy it, I do so. Fireants are not native to the U.S. They are not necessary to the food chain or ecosystem of any region of the United States. And they do not have human rights or any other rights. I also kill poison ivy and poison oak plants growing in my yard. If you are copncerned about the rights of fireants or poisonous plants, then I think you are taking it a bit too far.

~U2Alabama

-President, Gulf Coast Chapter of Non-Vegetarian U2 Fans
I understand your point. And I don't want you to think that I am an "animal extremist." When I started this thread I really did believe what I had read and I was not trying to spread any rumors. Although I am strongly against the idea that animals are for humans to eat, I have never insulted anyone because they eat meat. Most of my friends eat meat and they are still all my good friends. But one thing that I will not tolerate is anyone who eats meat and supports the way that animals are handled from the day they are born to the day they are murdered. I am very much against the meat packing industry in the cruel way they handle all kinds of animals.

And yes, the way baby cows are kept is just disturbing. I am glad to hear that you made the choice of not eating veal anymore.

And i've mentioned this a couple of times before, but i'll say it again. If you want any vegetarian food ideas or recipes, feel free to ask me.
__________________
Infinity is offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 04:05 AM   #72
New Yorker
 
bonocrazy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: WV and VA, USA
Posts: 2,742
Local Time: 11:33 PM
I am a vegetarian because I was completely appalled by the killing of animals for human consumption.

My friend made a good point recently. "If you could talk to the animals you eat, would you continue to eat them?"

It's so weird that we think dogs and cats are capable of emotion and relationship status in families, but cows and pigs and chickens (who are very capable of complex relationships within their species) are seen as dumb livestock. In fact, it's so sad because even drinking cow's milk contributes to the suffering of animals.

I am not completely vegan, but I have read that humans are the only animal that drinks another animal's milk that is usually reserved for that animal's offspring. It's odd to think that we drink the milk that is naturally produced within the body for the offspring of that animal.

You don't see very many chickens or pigs or dogs drinking cow's milk. Humans make milk and the body produces it for as long as we need it just as other animals do. After that, we get our nutrients from other sources *none which need to be another animal's flesh* to survive. We are no longer cavemen and cavewomen. We have evolved as an agricultural people that can harvest our food and grain.

Meat contains nothing that the human body cannot obtain from a vegetarian diet.

Oh another thing about vegetarianism. I understand that the entire world is probably not going to convert to it anytime soon...or ever, but doing so would
probably eradicate a huge portion of world poverty. African countries (where a large portion of poverty is) export grain to feed livestock in the "Western" world. That very grain could go to feed human beings and feed far more people than cows, which go toward McDonald's and Burger King. 100 acres of land will produce enough beef for only 20 people, but enough wheat to feed 240 people.


Meat producers are the biggest polluters of water. It takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat.

-source "Food for Thought" by Dr. Vernon Coleman
__________________
bonocrazy88 is offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #73
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
I'm glad to hear that you are trying to become a vegetarian. If you want any ideas for good vegetarian food (and believe me, there is many), then just ask me.
Thanks. My brother is vegetarian, so I've been exposed to his cooking a lot - Indian mostly. I'm currently interested in learning African and Middle Eastern dishes.

So if you have any cool suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #74
War Child
 
butter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 785
Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sloane Peterson
I am a vegetarian because I was completely appalled by the killing of animals for human consumption.

My friend made a good point recently. "If you could talk to the animals you eat, would you continue to eat them?"

If you could talk to the beautiful beautiful plants and fruits, would you continue to eat them?

Do you think vegetables are liveless?

I'm okay with people choose to eat something they like, and avoid something they don't like. But something that some vegetarian trying to sell is completely ridiculous.

Do you know how people tortured the trees to get more fruit from them? Force plants to produce food for us all year long no matter what season it is?

Do you think the vegetables likes to be eaten by human? Do you think they produce fruit is for your table?

For your guys, animals have live, and plants have no life at all?

And if you really care about lives, quit eating vegetables too.
__________________
butter7 is offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
or cutting pieces of the ear/tail/horns or leaving burns on the skin, all of these things happen regularly while they are all illegal to do to pets.
Besides the fact that horns don't have nerves and cows won't feel that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docking_%28dog%29
__________________

__________________
Tiger Edge is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com