Pushy "stage mothers" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2005, 08:32 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:34 PM
Just a curious thought...celebrities families and their despair..brought on by themselves or their environment...by name only you'll remember their problems...

Gary Coleman's fight for his own money..
McCulley Caulkin and the fight for his money...
Lindsey Lohan and her parents fight for her money...
Britney Spears (mentioned)...
Todd Bridges and the fight to stay sober..
Dana Plato -her struggle to remain sober and out of jail - dead
River Phoenix and his struggle - deceased
Corey Feldman - prime example of what could go wrong..

Who else??????????

Old 03-21-2005, 08:58 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:34 AM
You forgot Drew Barrymore... drink, drugs from the age of 9, allegedly?

Old 03-21-2005, 09:27 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Nick Carter... not that I know the whole story.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78
I know a girl of 14 who was a champion gymnast because she was constantly pushed by her father, who was a failed athlete and was trying to achieve his own ambitions through his daughter. She got hit by a car DELIBERATELY because she couldn't cope with it anymore. She damaged her spine permanently.

It's so sad.
No kidding...holy crud, that poor girl...that's an awful story.

Sue DeNym, exactly-if the child wants to do this for a career, yes, support them all you want to. But if they don't want to be involved in some certain sport/event/what have you, leave 'em alone.

Angela
Old 03-21-2005, 10:03 PM   #20
New Yorker

Speaking of former child stars - I remember being 13 years old and being quite fond of Kirk Cameron in Growing Pains. The child stars thread reminded me of him so, out of curiosity, I had a look to see what he's up to these days.

Believe me - I wish I hadn't.

http://www.wayofthemaster.com/wotm_flash.html

I don't know how long you unfortunate Americans have had this - I find it extremely worrying.

There's being a good Christian, and then there's being an intolerant and prejudiced numbskull. I realise that we all have our individual beliefs, which is how it should be, and I'm probably opening a huuuuuuuuuge can of worms by quoting this nonsense, but I'm just somewhat shocked... imagine using your 'star' status to promote this kind of crap:

Quote:
"God made me to be a homosexual, so He doesn’t want me to change."

Homosexuals argue that they did not make a conscious decision to be that way, so it must be natural. They are born that way—just as all of us are born with a sin nature and sinful desires (Ephesians 2:1– ).

This certainly won’t work on Judgment Day. Even with an expert defense lawyer, it would take a pretty inept judge to fall for the old "God made me do it" defense. We are responsible moral agents. The "buck" stopped at Adam. He tried to blame both God and Eve for his sin; Eve blamed the serpent. It is human nature to try, but it doesn’t work with God.

Tell them that it is natural for them, and for all of us, to be tempted to do things that God says are wrong. In the same way, pedophiles and adulterers (alcoholics, drug addicts, etc.) don’t make a conscious decision to "choose" that self-destructive lifestyle, they simply give in to their sinful desires. However, although sin is natural for unbelievers, that doesn’t mean God wants them to remain that way. God can set them free from their sinful nature (Romans 7:23–8:2), give them new desires (Ephesians 4:22–24), and help them withstand temptations (1 Corinthians 10:13). See 1 Corinthians 6:9– 1 footnote.
From Kirk's column on the site:

Quote:
"I got talking to a group of junior high kids and brought out the "Light Show" followed by a few trivia questions for them to win a bit of Christmas cash ($1 for each correct answer). As I swung to the subject of God, a little Indian Buddhist girl stepped forward and said "So this is what you do now? You give people money so they'll stand here so you can brainwash them?!" I felt sick. She might as well have said "You're pathetic. I used to like you on TV, but not anymore because you're bribing people to listen to your religious garbage." I swallowed my pride for about 10 more minutes before I packed it in and went home, licking my wounds. I felt terrible, as my fears got the best of me that night."
Well, Mr Cameron, I personally am in full agreement with the "little Indian Buddhist girl".

Less importantly... what sort of ridiculous name is 'Way Of The Master'? Sounds like some atrocious 'He-Man' spin off!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...

Not to turn this into yet another homosexuality debate, but I really, really wish that people would stop trying to equate homosexuality with pedophilia and drug abuse and things along that line. It's getting very, very irritating.

Okay. Rant over. Back to the topic at hand.

Angela
Old 03-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
You forgot Drew Barrymore... drink, drugs from the age of 9, allegedly?
Tatum O'Neal...
Old 03-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #23
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Not to turn this into yet another homosexuality debate, but I really, really wish that people would stop trying to equate homosexuality with pedophilia and drug abuse and things along that line. It's getting very, very irritating.

Okay. Rant over. Back to the topic at hand.

Angela
YES YES YES! I completely agree with you Angela. I was more than a little shocked that anyone who considers themselves to be "spiritually enlightened" could be that bloody stupid. In fact I have a hard time believing anyone could be that moronic. I was about to say that surely even Bush has more sense than that... but thinking about it, probably not... and anyway, that's a completely different can of worms.

I was just so shocked by that that I had to post it.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Exactly-very sad, isn't it?

Angela
Old 03-21-2005, 11:06 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 PM
Quote:

I know a girl of 14 who was a champion gymnast because she was constantly pushed by her father, who was a failed athlete and was trying to achieve his own ambitions through his daughter. She got hit by a car DELIBERATELY because she couldn't cope with it anymore. She damaged her spine permanently.

It's so sad.
Holy shite! What is her name, if I may ask?

Oh, and I'll add Dominique Moceanu to Rick's list. Not a HUGE celeb, but still has the Olympic gold medal and ended up "divorcing" her parents b/c her dad pushed her so hard and controlled all of her endorsement money.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:18 AM   #26
New Yorker

LLivLuvAndBootleg - I'll PM you about it, I'll need to speak to someone first because it was all a bit... well, let's just say they didn't make it public that she'd done this to herself.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 PM
Quote:
LLivLuvAndBootleg - I'll PM you about it, I'll need to speak to someone first because it was all a bit... well, let's just say they didn't make it public that she'd done this to herself.
Heh, ok, it's not that big of a deal. I just wondered b/c I noticed you were from the UK and said she was a "champion" gymnast and years back I remember reading about this very young gymnast who showed promise and I remember her dad being a big part of the article. I was just wondering what happened to her like last week. Probably not the same person, but....you just never know!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Gosh, some really sad stories here. People sure can fk up not only their own lives but those of their family members.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:24 AM   #29
New Yorker

http://www.universalroyalty.com/

Old 03-26-2005, 07:12 PM   #30
New Yorker

Found this randomly on amazon.com. I'm not sure how true it is, but if it is based onfact, then I think it succinctly sums up what's been said so far.

In Heart to Heart, ostensibly written by Lynne and Britney Spears, the authors discuss the childhood and adolesence of Britney Spears, culminating in her domination of the pop charts with Baby One More Time. As a factual overview of the events of Britney's early career, this book is adequate. However, the authors clearly have a secondary goal, which is to elevate the Spears family as an exemplar of a nurturing, supportive family. I felt that this secondary goal contaminated the usefulness of this book as a learning tool.

One example of how the authors' feverish desire to flatter the Spears family interfered with the objectivity of the book is in its retelling of Lynne and Britney's time in New York. At this time, Lynne left her older son at home and separated her infant daughter from her father, Jamie. The difficulties that the decision to live in New York must have imposed are formidable, yet quickly dismissed by the narrators. It was all worth it for little Britney to play understudy in a Broadway production. In fact, I would argue that the very same actions that the authors argue make Lynne an excellent mother (willingness to put aside her own and her family's needs for Britney's career) actually make her a terrible mother and wife. Lynne's other children and her husband were essentially abandoned by her, and Britney was deprived of a normal childhood. Although she reaped the rewards of fame, anyone who is familiar with her recent descent into wanton marriage, poor hygiene, and insipid public commentary would surely agree it has not served her well in the long term.

I also do not believe that Lynne and Britney wrote this book. At best, it is a "told to" tale, but I would actually guess it is totally ghost-written. As their postings on the official Britney Spears website have shown, both Spears women have deplorable writing skills. In addition to spelling and grammar issues easily corrected by editors, they also have clunky, juvenile prose styles. Moreover, the book rarely reveals anything truly personal about the Spearses. We learn little more than we could from the pages of Tiger Beat. After reading this book, I became quite curious if the Spears women are receiving royalties for the sale of this book they did not write. If so, I am then highly interested in having some anonymous drone pen the true tale of Smith T. Aames for my own financial benefit.

I think this book goes beyond tedium into dangerousness. Young girls reading this sugar-coated tale may not realize the many drawbacks to fame. I recommend that parents use this book, along with current photographs of Britney Spears using public restrooms in gas stations barefoot, as a teaching tool to demonstrate to children the developmental necessity of a normal family life. Furthermore, I scold Lynne Spears for her poor parenting and subsequent attempts to mythologize herself as an exemplar.