Purge All Of Those Liberal/Secular Professors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My point exactly; that is, I think it is a circular phenomenon that goes around the globe. We've been debating both sides of it here in the U.S. for decades.

But just a few years ago, it was "liberal," reform-minded students who supported Iran's previous leader, Khatami, and he would have likely pushed for more openness in Iranian society had the hard-line clerics not retained so much sway.

What's different between the situation in Iran and what "many in America...believe" is that Ahmadinejad DOES have the power to personally purge dissident professors himself; but his strategy is to get the movement started by convincing the hardline students to start the process.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think the President of the U.S. (whoever it may be at any given time) should have the power to purge professors whom he or she disagrees with on any given issue(s).

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
Because I do not hold to that and I bear no responsibility for what other people around here believe, one can oppose the believers intentions at home and abroad and be consistent in that opposition.

Iran is not Iraq under Saddam and support is not limited in options.

iranian20rave4uv9.jpg

http://www.roozi.com/photos/0406chahar/1.htm

I do not think that Ahmadinejad would approve of some of the fun going on in those ohotos, if that is indeed what they are up to.

~U2Alabama

That is very true, casting off the headscarf can bring down more than a little trouble in the Islamic Republic.

They are the future of Iran, the clerical fascists that run the show will not live forever; genuine support for these elements is something that the Bush administration has been very lacking in and is a place where genuine progressives should fill the gap.

U2Bama said:
My point exactly; that is, I think it is a circular phenomenon that goes around the globe. We've been debating both sides of it here in the U.S. for decades.

But just a few years ago, it was "liberal," reform-minded students who supported Iran's previous leader, Khamenei, and he would have likely pushed for more openness in Iranian society had the hard-line clerics not retained so much sway.

What's different between the situation in Iran and what "many in America...believe" is that Ahmadinejad DOES have the power to personally purge dissident professors himself; but his strategy is to get the movement started by convincing the hardline students to start the process.

When you're referring to the leader that the Iranian reformists supported, I think you're referring to former President Mohammed Khatami.

However, both Khatami and current President Ahmadinejad are really a puppet for the Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ali Khameini. While Khatami would offer genuine, if only token resistance, no person in Iran can overrule the whims of Ayatollah Khameini.

Granted, Ahmadinejad is much more likely to agree with Khameini's stances from the onset. However, trying to negotiate with him is an exercise in futility. Khameini has all the power, and Iran's entire government is merely a smokescreen to give the illusion of a democracy.

The purging of liberal/secular/reformist professors is unsurprising. The hardliners pulled a virtual coup in the last "election," which just happened to disqualify all the reformist candidates (as Iran's closed loop of power has the right to dismiss candidates that they believe aren't "true Muslims"). Now they're merely purging the people they blame for creating the reformist movement in the first place.

Interesting, Ayatollah Khomeini, when interviewed once, actually believed that he had created a democratic "Islamic Republic." With that, he said that any true Muslim would overwhelmingly vote for a theocracy. When I hear that kind of reasoning, I'm often reminded of the rhetoric we hear from the leaders of Christian "family" organizations. I'm sure they'd love to have the power to dismiss all candidates that they didn't deem to be "true Christians."

Melon

My dream peace conference might be Ahmadinejad jetting over to Ireland to a Pub and have a few Harps or Stouts with C.S. Lewis (with his cigs) and J.R.R. Tolkien with his pipe of tobacco.

I don't know...

It's a nice dream :)

U2Bama said:
I do not think that Ahmadinejad would approve of some of the fun going on in those ohotos, if that is indeed what they are up to.

You're correct, but Iran's clerical overhead also knows not to go too far too soon.

But, to be fair, Iran has been traditionally one of the most "liberal" Islamic theocracies, owing solely to the fact that Shi'ites are generally more liberal than Sunnis, relatively speaking.

Melon

melon said:

When you're referring to the leader that the Iranian reformists supported, I think you're referring to former President Mohammed Khatami.

Edited/post corrected; thanks. I knew Khameini was the Ayatollah but for some reason had his highness on my mind in regards to this new campaign.

melon said:
The purging of liberal/secular/reformist professors is unsurprising. The hardliners pulled a virtual coup in the last "election," which just happened to disqualify all the reformist candidates (as Iran's closed loop of power has the right to dismiss candidates that they believe aren't "true Muslims"). Now they're merely purging the people they blame for creating the reformist movement in the first place.

From what I can tell, the professors and students knew it was coming soon enough.

On a local note, some of the "Judge Roy Moore" folks here in Alabama and in Florida have been trying to purge candidates and party activists whom they do not think are "true Christians" but the good news is they have been failing in their own campaigns.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom