Public Broadcasting Under Attack.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's absolutely ridiculous. They bitch and moan about how indecent TV is these days, and the one network in the entire nation that doesn't have an indecent bone in its body is the target of the House. Maybe we can cut off "faith-based initiatives" and give it to PBS instead, if we're broke. Or, better yet, stop fucking blowing up third-world countries and spends hundreds and hundreds of billions of dollars doing it.

Melon

sorry, I was REALLY pushing the pun limit there

melon said:
It's absolutely ridiculous. They bitch and moan about how indecent TV is these days, and the one network in the entire nation that doesn't have an indecent bone in its body is the target of the House.

Melon

Great point.

Indeed. Looks like we have a Desperate House(wives) on our hands.

Remember...this is what people have voted for.

A House subcommittee voted yesterday to sharply reduce the federal government's financial support for public broadcasting, including eliminating taxpayer funds that help underwrite such popular children's educational programs as "Sesame Street," "Reading Rainbow," "Arthur" and "Postcards From Buster."

do not fuck with reading rainbow or big bird.

i've signed.

This is not on point, but ask Michael Nesmith of The Monkees what he thinks of PBS...

I like several shows on PBS, but when I heard about the Nesmith/PBS fued, I couldn't help it; I had to write PBS an email "innocently" suggesting that they should air episodes of The Monkees...aren't I mean?:wink:

Last edited:
I always knew Sesame Street was an insidious cover-up for the politically correct, multicultural, gay-loving, God-hating freaks over at PBS! :mad:

:shifty:

I'm going to sign right now. I listen to All Things Considered every day on my way home from work.

this sounds like a great issue for the Democrats.

if they had balls (or if they were Republicans), they'd say, "the Republicans are trying to kill Big Bird."

Irvine, I said previously that I enjoy several PBS programs. My lack of sympathy for them doesn't stem from whether I enjoy their programming or not. Through under-handed tricks and fraud, they destroyed a man's company.

In reference to "Flag Wars": It was a well-done, intense and moving documentary, but no I did not "enjoy" it. There's nothing "enjoyable" about watching one group of people uproot and wreck another group's lives. It angered me; that's what it did.

80sU2isBest said:
I
t. There's nothing "enjoyable" about watching one group of people uproot and wreck another group's lives. It angered me; that's what it did.
:ohmy: and i thought that was the American way of living.

Sign, damn it, sign! NPR streams really good concerts!

I wrote a "F.H. typical lengthy comment", (I know no one will read it, but it's better I take it there than on this thread, you know?

I am a huge supporter of PBS, and I actually tell people my feelings about in casual conversation.

Reading Rainbow is one of my all time favorite shows, and so was Caremen Sandiago and this one mysterious and amazing program that I have lost in PBS's past...

as I remember it, it was a show that aired right before Carmen Sandiago like 10 years ago.... it was something about mystery, kids solving stuff.. detective work or something.

If anyone has any ideas on how to find it or what that show was, it would be a great help. I know my description sucks, but I was a little kid then, and I don't remember too well.

PBS is awesome, and I hope I can donate lots of money to it one day, when I am like a millionare and all that :|

:huh:

PBS = :rockon:

Irvine511 said:

you seem to enjoy their documentaries about gays who gentrify neighborhoods.

the good PBS provides the American public, the source of the ONLY television news that isn't filled with corporate bias.

There's the BBC for that, but signed anyway as the pros of PBS outweight the cons, they are far form perfect and far from not having corporate bias.

cardosino said:

There's the BBC for that, but signed anyway as the pros of PBS outweight the cons, they are far form perfect and far from not having corporate bias.

if we're going to compare PBS to everyone else, they are most assuredly less influenced by corporations.

i have worked for PBS, and i have worked for a major cable network. the corporate influence at the cable network is palpable -- all programming content is driven by a combination of the legal department and ad sales. for example, we cannot do a show on global warming because god forbid we piss off the car companies that advertise on the network.

PBS is far, far better.

Republican Senator Chuck Hegel was rated as "liberal" for opposing the Iraq war

CPB Bias Inquiry 'Nutty,' Says Dorgan

By Bill McConnell -- Broadcasting & Cable, 6/30/2005 12:45:00 PM

A controversial analysis of bias in public broadcasting was "a little nutty" and a "complete waste" of $14,000 in taxpayer funds, said Democratic Senator Byron Dorgan Thursday after reviewing 50 pages of raw data he obtained from the study commissioned by Corporation for Public Broadcasting Chairman Kenneth Tomlinson.

"It appears to have been cobbled together by an armchair analyst with little or no professional preparation," Dorgan said at a press conference last week.

Dorgan also used the occasion to join others who have called for an inspector general investigate into whether the hiring of CPB president Pamela Harrison, a former GOP party chairman, followed appropriate procedures. An investigation into the bias study is already under way.

The typo-riddled reports prepared by Republican operative Fred Mann included a note labeled "From the desk of Fred Mann," and another was faxed to CPB from a Hallmark store in Indianapolis.

The intent of the analysis was to gauge the political opinions expressed by guests of Now, NPR’s Diane Rehm and TV host Tavis Smiley. The analysis makes clear that Tomlinson’s controversial search for liberal bias in public broadcasting extended beyond his well-publicized concerns about Now with Bill Moyers.

Dorgan derided the criteria used to rate opinions as "utter nonsense." He noted that Republican Senator Chuck Hegel was rated as "liberal" for opposing the Iraq war during an appearance on Smiley's show.

Tomlinson did not volunteer that information during his own appearance on Rehm’s show several weeks back, when his desire for more conservative programming on noncommercial public TV and radio was the topic of conversation.

A CPB spokesman said the organization won’t comment on the study until an inspector general completes an investigation.

Back
Top Bottom