Psychic stuff - and frauds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
Incidentally... I was wondering what you think of Derek Acorah? He is from Liverpool and was a semi-pro footballer (!!!) before meeting his spirit guide - Sam. No, not as in Green Eggs and Ham, but similar: apparently Derek's pal is a 2000 year old Ethiopian and his original name was Masumai - which is 'I am U Sam' backwards.

He's on Most Haunted, 'the Living TV' ghosthunter show. Ghosts? Living? Ah well. I suppose 'Already Dead TV' didn't have the same ring to it. The show is highly entertaining, particularly if you look out for Yvette Fielding, who produces the show but spends most of her time shrieking and legging it.

I reckon Derek may well have a gift. One thing I'm pretty certain of, is that he puts on a big act for MH, for the sake of entertainment. You should see a few of the times he's been 'possessed' - it is ridiculous.

My housemates and I all believe that 'there is more on Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than is dreamt of in your philosophy'. That said - we do mainly watch it to have a good laugh at Derek and Yvette.

There was an espisode where Derek got possessed by 'Francis', who was a Witchfinder, supposedly, in the 1600s. 'Francis' decided to hurl abuse at Yvette Fielding, including the immortal lines:

'Francis': I see your breasts, wench. See your breasts?
Yvette: bored Yeah. I do.

Problem: Francis, the evil nasty old woman-hating git from hell... turned out to be Frances, a woman, who had sweet FA to do with any of it!
LMAO!!!!!!

Both sides of the coin:
www.derekacorah.org
http://www.mosthauntedexposed.co.uk/

I went to a psychic in 1984 who said I would one day be living in New Mexico. At the time I thought he was bonkers; I wasn't even sure where NM was and had absolutely no connection to it at all. But here I am. Basically everything he told me would happen in my life has happened. :shrug: Did it change my life? No. Was it evidence that some people can see the future? Yes, but I already knew that. I just take it all with a grain of salt.

Don't really think this applies to psychics, but something else along the supernatural lines nonetheless-my dad had a guy on his radio show one time who did this thing where he determined what kind of a person you were based on birth dates and astrological things and stuff like that. My dad had the guy do that whole thing on me (did it with all the family members). I wasn't in the room with the guy at the time, I never met the guy, never talked to him, anything like that. And yet, from what my dad tells me, the guy was spot on with his description of me-my interests, my personality, everything. Spooky, huh?

I think some people do have a psychic ability. Sure, there's frauds out there, but I think it's quite possible for some people to have that kind of ability. In some ways, it'd be nice to have that power, but in some ways, I'm rather glad I don't have it, either-could forsee some really unsettling things that way :(.

Angela

Back in our courtship days, Mr. BAW had his palm read a few hours before my first visit to his house and the woman told him that he would soon have 2 children in his life. I moved in with him a few months later along with my 2 children! :wink:

The palmreader wasn't given any background info and at that point, there was no indication our relationship was going to be serious so who knows :shrug:

i think these people are out to make a buck, and find vauge enough things to say that you can then, in turn, wrap them around whatever life events you want in order to derive meaning and prescience from that reading.

^ i completely agree.

i went to a psychic once a few years back out of sheer curiousity. i forget most of what he told me except for two details: one, i was going to have three kids (ha! will never happen), and that i would sit on the supreme court (have serious doubts about that, but it would rock if it did happen).

was it worth $30? probably not.

I don't know, the one I saw was so specific, I could literally tell you 25 specific things that have happened to me that he predicted and they were unusual things. He didn't give me the happy story, 'you're going to get married and have 3 children' but instead predicted odd and very personal things that have indeed happened. He didn't predict anything that hasn't happened, actually.

I do think some people are genuinely psychic. But the ones on TV I am very skeptical about.

Astrologers are a whole different thing. A really good astrologer can totally see what's going on in your life quite specifically. There's one here in town that half the town goes to and he is quite extraordinary.

Irvine511 said:
i think these people are out to make a buck, and find vauge enough things to say that you can then, in turn, wrap them around whatever life events you want in order to derive meaning and prescience from that reading.

In general, I agree. It does make me angry when people are DELIBERATELY misleading about their ' gift'.

I do believe in psychic phenomena though - I've seen too many people be spot on about too many things (including myself) to feel any differently.

coemgen said:
I'm with Irvine on this. It's all a bunch of crap, or worse, it is of the devil.

I think that, although it is blind to believe unquestioningly in lots of 'supernatural' stuff; it's merely narrow-minded, ignorant and arrogant to just dismiss all uinexplicable experiences as nonsense. That is my overall view - I'm NOT calling you any of those things!! :)

Out of curiosity - how is a form of communication that allegedly transcends the time/space continuum evil? "Ooh, we don't understand it! Therefore it is eeeeevil!"

Another GENERAL point: religious people (of whatever faith - including myself) believe in universal forces of good and evil, represented in the form of a God or multiple deities... so there's such a thing as the Holy Spirit, and miracles, but no such thing as psychic power? Does not compute.

My brother really does have some weird power. He has solved a murder in this way - now that was more than a little freaky. I think it nearly sent him mad, because he couldn't make head nor tail of HOW he knew all this. He was absolutely spot on. He's quite a sensible and practical person overall, and does loads of writing about psychic stuff here:http://psychiceventsanddailylife.blogspot.com/
No, I'm not selling anything on behalf of my brother - I just thought it might be an interesting read for anyone curious or bored enough to be interested in this sort of thing.

I have such a strong link with my kid sister. I knew she would go through several horrible experiences - and I'm not talking about average coincidental events, I mean specific, nasty, sick stuff. I knew these things would happen from the time she was about 10... I didn't know when or where though. That's a fact, and I've talked to many people about it over the years who can vouch for me. So much so that when it happened, I rang up one of my friends (who was Head of my School many years ago) and just said to him 'it's haooened to my sister'. He knew exactly what I was talking about, straight away, as I'd discussed it with him so many time over the past 13 years. He's very much a man of science, so it gave him more than a slight scare.

Also, when I was 450 miles away from home at university, my sister got pregnant and ran away from home. I dreamed every last detail of it the night before and rang Mum as soon as I woke up. I just said to her 'I know what's going on'. She asked how I knew, and I told her that I'd dreamed it. My mum is a very sensible and pragmatic person, but she didn't question that for a second. To us, it's normal. It ain't nice either.

Years ago I had a nightmare about my sister having lung cancer, and rang up my mother in hysterics. No bugger has DARED argue with me about this - largely because it is a fact. Well, 4 years later, here we are... I don't think I need to say any more on that particular subject.

I didn't dream about any of the other illnesses she would get with it, but it was very weird. Ever since we were youngsters I have always felt very strongly that she would die before I do, at a young age. I would give anything to be wrong about this, of course... I'm hoping that it is all nonsense, but my track record doesn't suggest that it will be.

My mum was raised at a convent school and university in India, from the age of 5 until she was 21. She's very much a Catholic... and has had exeriences like this for her entire life so far.

Last edited:
Even my mother, a very devout conservative Christian who believes psychic phenomena to be the work of the devil, dreamed about my father's death a week before it happened, and it was quite literal. When you consider quantum physics and that there are multiple realities happening at once, it's not so hard to believe (to me, anyway) that there can be a bleedthrough, if you will.

Indeed... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

--Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)

Back to our (allegedly) fraudulent friend, Mr D. Acorah. This is from his website:

Derek is always very pleased to hear from people to whom he has spoken, whether it be during any of his television, radio or live on stage events, confirming that the information he has imparted to them has been of help, and more importantly, has been proven. This page will be continually updated from time to time and will contain some of the letters which Derek has received. For the sake of privacy, only first names and towns/cities will be quoted.

Have you got a question you've always wanted to ask Derek?

Well now's your chance!

Each month, Derek will be answering TEN questions submitted by visitors to the website! The first ten questions will appear in approx three weeks time!

Send your questions to:

questions@derekacorah.org

Please make sure your questions are of a Paranormal/Spiritual nature - personal questions will not be answered, and deleted from file!

Now - what are you waiting for? Get asking!

I can think of a few. :eyebrow: I believe iin the paranormal to an extent, and am fascinated by spirituality... but Derek, I could do without you, mate. Sorry.

http://www.derekacorah.org/absenthealing01.html
With all that's going on with my sister, seeing this really got to me. If Derek believes he genuimnely has a gift and can help people, then fair enough... but some people are looking to him to play Jesus (to the lepers in their heads and various others, including their dying relatives). If he is just a complete fake, then having a section like this on his site is disgusting. :madspit::rant:

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

Another GENERAL point: religious people (of whatever faith - including myself) believe in universal forces of good and evil, represented in the form of a God or multiple deities... so there's such a thing as the Holy Spirit, and miracles, but no such thing as psychic power? Does not compute.

Charismatics do believe in the ability to have the HS give them knowledge about someone else or something that they couldn't possibly know otherwise.

But that's probably a whole other thread....

starsgoblue said:

Charismatics do believe in the ability to have the HS give them knowledge about someone else or something that they couldn't possibly know otherwise.

But that's probably a whole other thread....

Thanks for that - I appreciate it. It's good to learn more about this sort of thing. :yes:

Its a load of shit, many things happen to a person over the course of years and individuals can make decisions that match "predictions". Nobody can see into the future it is physically impossible.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

I think that, although it is blind to believe unquestioningly in lots of 'supernatural' stuff; it's merely narrow-minded, ignorant and arrogant to just dismiss all uinexplicable experiences as nonsense. That is my overall view - I'm NOT calling you any of those things!! :)

Another point: IN GENERAL religious people (of whatever faith) believe in universal forces of good and evil, represented in the form of a God or multiple deities... so there's such a thing as the Holy Spirit, and miracles, but no such thing as psychic power? Does not compute. Out of curiosity - how is a form of communication that allegedly transcends the time/space continuum evil?

My brother really does have some weird power. He has solved a murder in this way - now that was more than a little freaky. I think it nearly sent him mad, because he couldn't make head nor tail of HOW he knew all this. He was absolutely spot on. He's quite a sensible and practical person overall, and does loads of writing about psychic stuff here:http://psychiceventsanddailylife.blogspot.com/
No, I'm not selling anything on behalf of my brother - I just thought it might be an interesting read for anyone curious or bored enough to be interested in this sort of thing.

I have such a strong link with my kid sister. I knew she would go through several horrible experiences - and I'm not talking about average coincidental events, I mean specific, nasty, sick stuff. I knew these things would happen from the time she was about 10... I didn't know when or where though. That's a fact, and I've talked to many people about it over the years who can vouch for me. So much so that when it happened, I rang up one of my friends (who was Head of my School many years ago) and just said to him 'it's haooened to my sister'. He knew exactly what I was talking about, straight away, as I'd discussed it with him so many time over the past 13 years. He's very much a man of science, so it gave him more than a slight scare.

Also, when I was 450 miles away from home at university, my sister got pregnant and ran away from home. I dreamed every last detail of it the night before and rang Mum as soon as I woke up. I just said to her 'I know what's going on'. She asked how I knew, and I told her that I'd dreamed it. My mum is a very sensible and pragmatic person, but she didn't question that for a second. To us, it's normal. It ain't nice either.

Years ago I had a nightmare about my sister having lung cancer, and rang up my mother in hysterics. No bugger has DARED argue with me about this - largely because it is a fact. Well, 4 years later, here we are... I don't think I need to say any more on that particular subject.

I didn't dream about any of the other illnesses she would get with it, but it was very weird. Ever since we were youngsters I have always felt very strongly that she would die before I do, at a young age. I would give anything to be wrong about this, of course... I'm hoping that it is all nonsense, but my track record doesn't suggest that it will be.

My mum was raised at a convent school and university in India, from the age of 5 until she was 21. She's very much a Catholic... and has had exeriences like this for her entire life so far.

Hey Sally, I didn't dismiss all uinexplicable experiences as nonsense. I was talking about psychics.
You asked how a form of communication that allegedly transcends the time/space continuum can be considered evil. Actually, that's easy. Anything that's not of God, is evil. I know people who aren't Christians may not buy what I'm saying, and that's OK, but it's what I believe.
The Bible is clear about psychics and divination.

1 Samuel 15:23 says "For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, he has rejected you as king."

Isaiah 44:25 says "who foils the signs of false prophets and makes fools of diviners, who overthrows the learning of the wise and turns it into nonsense,

Zechariah 10:2 says "The idols speak deceit, diviners see visions that lie; they tell dreams that are false, they give comfort in vain. Therefore the people wander like sheep oppressed for lack of a shepherd."

2 Thessalonians 2:9 says "The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders,"

As you can see, from the Biblical perspective, this stuff isn't good. Now, can God give us visions and whatever — yes. My sister, who's a very committted Christian, had a reoccuring dream about her putting on an AIDS in Africa event on at K-State University. She followed through with it because she felt it was of God and it happened and it was succesful in some ways and has led to other things. I also know others who have had similar experiences to the ones you've had. The trick is, is it of God, or is it of the devil. (I'm not saying your experiences were of the devil by the way.)
I don't think it's of God if people are charging you money to tell you your future. That doesn't make sense. Especially when it's putting you into debt. Again, these are just some thoughts from the Christian perspective.

It violates the law of causality, no information can travel faster than the speed of light ergo no information can travel backwards through time.

Predicting the future is an example of recieving information from the future which is impossible, it doesn't work with quantum tunneling experiments, it doesn't work with superluminal light experiments and I really do not think that it works with a human being.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Its a load of shit, many things happen to a person over the course of years and individuals can make decisions that match "predictions". Nobody can see into the future it is physically impossible.

If that's how you feel, fair enough mate - that's your choice of course. I suppose I did get myself into this mess by asking for everyone's opinions in the first place!

However, it doesn't explain any of the experiences described so far (apart from Acorah and his rubbish) and therefore is effectively saying that we are either lying about these experiences, or are imagining them. :eyebrow: Considering everything I put in my last post, I don't take kindly to that suggestion, to say the very least. :huh:

It's shallow to dicount all this as nonsense, just as it is silly to believe all of it unquestioningly. So there you go. :shrug:

With all due respect. The earth was widely believed to be flat before Columbus confirmed that by sailing to the west one would not fall off the edge of the earth. We don't know everything and former accepted 'facts', particularly in this day and age, are constantly being disproved.

Hey Sally, I didn't dismiss all uinexplicable experiences as nonsense. I was talking about psychics.
Hey there, didn't mean to come across as being rude to you. To each his/her own I guess.:)

Last edited:
I am not saying that the experiences did not happen, I am just saying that there are quite a few psychological effects that could have a greater influence on this than genuine precognition. If in fact it is genuine then a lot of money could be made by scrutinising the psychic with empirical tests.

This entire thread has reminded me of the Genesis song, that caused a lot of controversy:

You see the face on the tv screen
Coming at you every sunday
See that face on the billboard
That man is me

On the cover of the magazine
There’s no question why I’m smiling
You buy a piece of paradise
You buy a piece of me

I’ll get you everything you wanted
I’ll get you everything you need
Don’t need to believe in hereafter
Just believe in me

Cos jesus he knows me
And he knows I’m right
I’ve been talking to jesus all my life
Oh yes he knows me
And he knows I’m right
And he’s been telling me
Everything is alright

I believe in the family
With my ever loving wife beside me
But she don’t know about my girlfriend
Or the man I met last night

Do you believe in god
Cos that’s what I’m selling
And if you wanna get to heaven
I’ll see you right

You won’t even have to leave your house
Or get outta your chair
You don’t even have to touch that dial
Cos I’m everywhere

And jesus he knows me
And he knows I’m right
Oh yes he knows me
And he knows I’m right
Well he’s been telling me
Everything’s gonna be alright

Won’t find me practising what I’m preaching
Won’t find me making no sacrifice
But I can get you a pocketful of miracles
If you promise to be good, try to be nice
God will take good care of you
Just do as I say, don’t do as I do

I’m counting my blessings,
I’ve found true happiness
Cos I’m getting richer, day by day
You can find me in the phone book,
Just call my toll free number
You can do it anyway you want
Just do it right away

There’ll be no doubt in your mind
You’ll believe everything I’m saying
If you wanna get closer to him
Get on your knees and start paying

Cos jesus he knows me
And he knows I’m right
Oh yes he knows me
And he knows I’m right
Well he’s been telling me
Everything’s gonna be alright, alright

Jesus he knows me
Jesus he knows me, you know...

I don't think it's of God if people are charging you money to tell you your future. That doesn't make sense. Especially when it's putting you into debt. Again, these are just some thoughts from the Christian perspective. [/B]
Couldn't agree more - well said.

Maybe I should send a copy of the song to Derek!

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
I am not saying that the experiences did not happen, I am just saying that there are quite a few psychological effects that could have a greater influence on this than genuine precognition. If in fact it is genuine then a lot of money could be made by scrutinising the psychic with empirical tests.

That's absolutely true and now you've explained what you meant, it makes a lot of sense - to me, anyway. It's an interesting topic I think. :)

joyfulgirl said:
Even my mother, a very devout conservative Christian who believes psychic phenomena to be the work of the devil, dreamed about my father's death a week before it happened, and it was quite literal. When you consider quantum physics and that there are multiple realities happening at once, it's not so hard to believe (to me, anyway) that there can be a bleedthrough, if you will.

just before Easter, i was sitting in the kitchen making dinner at 8pm on a friday evening and my cell phone rang -- it was my father. immediately, i knew something was wrong with my grandmother -- i thought she had either died, or had fallen and broken her hip which often spells disaster for the elderly as a whole series of complications can develop. he then told me that she had tried to escape her nursing home and fell and broke her hip in the process (and breaking a hip is really bad when you're 88, even if Swedish women do live forever ...)

was that psychic of me? i don't think so ... it was a series of logical deductions that took fractions of a second to make and i was probably unaware of it at the time.

my grandmother is also bouncing back slowly but surely -- i'll see her in two weeks and i'm' very excited. i'd lie down in traffic for that woman ... i love her dearly.

"I think some people do have a psychic ability. Sure, there's frauds out there, but I think it's quite possible for some people to have that kind of ability. In some ways, it'd be nice to have that power, but in some ways, I'm rather glad I don't have it, either-could forsee some really unsettling things that way .

Angela"

I have been diagnosed psychic and it is unsettling at times... I deal basically with world events rather than being your psychic reader....not into telling others their lives....let them live their own. I sense things happening in the world.

I also have hypersensitivity which a part of which consists of seeing and hearing things before they occur. Like I'll drive in the car, be thinking about something or a word comes to mind and a few minutes later I hear what I was thinking on the radio. I am great at cartoons....I'll think of something the day before and then the next morning there is a cartoon about the same thing. Don't even mention prophetic dreams...I have them too. It's an everyday occurrence. Yes....it is a power. Other than that I'm just your ordinary wizard {LOL}.

:|

Back
Top Bottom