Psychic stuff - and frauds - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Psychic stuff - and frauds

Incidentally... I was wondering what you think of Derek Acorah? He is from Liverpool and was a semi-pro footballer (!!!) before meeting his spirit guide - Sam. No, not as in Green Eggs and Ham, but similar: apparently Derek's pal is a 2000 year old Ethiopian and his original name was Masumai - which is 'I am U Sam' backwards.

He's on Most Haunted, 'the Living TV' ghosthunter show. Ghosts? Living? Ah well. I suppose 'Already Dead TV' didn't have the same ring to it. The show is highly entertaining, particularly if you look out for Yvette Fielding, who produces the show but spends most of her time shrieking and legging it.

I reckon Derek may well have a gift. One thing I'm pretty certain of, is that he puts on a big act for MH, for the sake of entertainment. You should see a few of the times he's been 'possessed' - it is ridiculous.

My housemates and I all believe that 'there is more on Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than is dreamt of in your philosophy'. That said - we do mainly watch it to have a good laugh at Derek and Yvette.

There was an espisode where Derek got possessed by 'Francis', who was a Witchfinder, supposedly, in the 1600s. 'Francis' decided to hurl abuse at Yvette Fielding, including the immortal lines:

'Francis': I see your breasts, wench. See your breasts?
Yvette: bored Yeah. I do.

Problem: Francis, the evil nasty old woman-hating git from hell... turned out to be Frances, a woman, who had sweet FA to do with any of it!
LMAO!!!!!!

Both sides of the coin:
www.derekacorah.org
http://www.mosthauntedexposed.co.uk/

Old 05-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 PM
I went to a psychic in 1984 who said I would one day be living in New Mexico. At the time I thought he was bonkers; I wasn't even sure where NM was and had absolutely no connection to it at all. But here I am. Basically everything he told me would happen in my life has happened. Did it change my life? No. Was it evidence that some people can see the future? Yes, but I already knew that. I just take it all with a grain of salt.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:34 AM
Don't really think this applies to psychics, but something else along the supernatural lines nonetheless-my dad had a guy on his radio show one time who did this thing where he determined what kind of a person you were based on birth dates and astrological things and stuff like that. My dad had the guy do that whole thing on me (did it with all the family members). I wasn't in the room with the guy at the time, I never met the guy, never talked to him, anything like that. And yet, from what my dad tells me, the guy was spot on with his description of me-my interests, my personality, everything. Spooky, huh?

I think some people do have a psychic ability. Sure, there's frauds out there, but I think it's quite possible for some people to have that kind of ability. In some ways, it'd be nice to have that power, but in some ways, I'm rather glad I don't have it, either-could forsee some really unsettling things that way .

Angela
Old 05-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Back in our courtship days, Mr. BAW had his palm read a few hours before my first visit to his house and the woman told him that he would soon have 2 children in his life. I moved in with him a few months later along with my 2 children!

The palmreader wasn't given any background info and at that point, there was no indication our relationship was going to be serious so who knows
Old 05-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:34 AM
i think these people are out to make a buck, and find vauge enough things to say that you can then, in turn, wrap them around whatever life events you want in order to derive meaning and prescience from that reading.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:34 AM
^ i completely agree.

i went to a psychic once a few years back out of sheer curiousity. i forget most of what he told me except for two details: one, i was going to have three kids (ha! will never happen), and that i would sit on the supreme court (have serious doubts about that, but it would rock if it did happen).

was it worth $30? probably not.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:14 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know, the one I saw was so specific, I could literally tell you 25 specific things that have happened to me that he predicted and they were unusual things. He didn't give me the happy story, 'you're going to get married and have 3 children' but instead predicted odd and very personal things that have indeed happened. He didn't predict anything that hasn't happened, actually.

I do think some people are genuinely psychic. But the ones on TV I am very skeptical about.

Astrologers are a whole different thing. A really good astrologer can totally see what's going on in your life quite specifically. There's one here in town that half the town goes to and he is quite extraordinary.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

i remain skeptical and think it's all about the bucks, but my mind can always be changed
Old 05-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm with Irvine on this. It's all a bunch of crap, or worse, it is of the devil.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i think these people are out to make a buck, and find vauge enough things to say that you can then, in turn, wrap them around whatever life events you want in order to derive meaning and prescience from that reading.
In general, I agree. It does make me angry when people are DELIBERATELY misleading about their ' gift'.

I do believe in psychic phenomena though - I've seen too many people be spot on about too many things (including myself) to feel any differently.

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
I'm with Irvine on this. It's all a bunch of crap, or worse, it is of the devil.
I think that, although it is blind to believe unquestioningly in lots of 'supernatural' stuff; it's merely narrow-minded, ignorant and arrogant to just dismiss all uinexplicable experiences as nonsense. That is my overall view - I'm NOT calling you any of those things!!

Out of curiosity - how is a form of communication that allegedly transcends the time/space continuum evil? "Ooh, we don't understand it! Therefore it is eeeeevil!"

Another GENERAL point: religious people (of whatever faith - including myself) believe in universal forces of good and evil, represented in the form of a God or multiple deities... so there's such a thing as the Holy Spirit, and miracles, but no such thing as psychic power? Does not compute.

My brother really does have some weird power. He has solved a murder in this way - now that was more than a little freaky. I think it nearly sent him mad, because he couldn't make head nor tail of HOW he knew all this. He was absolutely spot on. He's quite a sensible and practical person overall, and does loads of writing about psychic stuff here:http://psychiceventsanddailylife.blogspot.com/
No, I'm not selling anything on behalf of my brother - I just thought it might be an interesting read for anyone curious or bored enough to be interested in this sort of thing.

I have such a strong link with my kid sister. I knew she would go through several horrible experiences - and I'm not talking about average coincidental events, I mean specific, nasty, sick stuff. I knew these things would happen from the time she was about 10... I didn't know when or where though. That's a fact, and I've talked to many people about it over the years who can vouch for me. So much so that when it happened, I rang up one of my friends (who was Head of my School many years ago) and just said to him 'it's haooened to my sister'. He knew exactly what I was talking about, straight away, as I'd discussed it with him so many time over the past 13 years. He's very much a man of science, so it gave him more than a slight scare.

Also, when I was 450 miles away from home at university, my sister got pregnant and ran away from home. I dreamed every last detail of it the night before and rang Mum as soon as I woke up. I just said to her 'I know what's going on'. She asked how I knew, and I told her that I'd dreamed it. My mum is a very sensible and pragmatic person, but she didn't question that for a second. To us, it's normal. It ain't nice either.

Years ago I had a nightmare about my sister having lung cancer, and rang up my mother in hysterics. No bugger has DARED argue with me about this - largely because it is a fact. Well, 4 years later, here we are... I don't think I need to say any more on that particular subject.

I didn't dream about any of the other illnesses she would get with it, but it was very weird. Ever since we were youngsters I have always felt very strongly that she would die before I do, at a young age. I would give anything to be wrong about this, of course... I'm hoping that it is all nonsense, but my track record doesn't suggest that it will be.

My mum was raised at a convent school and university in India, from the age of 5 until she was 21. She's very much a Catholic... and has had exeriences like this for her entire life so far.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Even my mother, a very devout conservative Christian who believes psychic phenomena to be the work of the devil, dreamed about my father's death a week before it happened, and it was quite literal. When you consider quantum physics and that there are multiple realities happening at once, it's not so hard to believe (to me, anyway) that there can be a bleedthrough, if you will.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
New Yorker

Indeed... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

--Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)

Back to our (allegedly) fraudulent friend, Mr D. Acorah. This is from his website:

Quote:
Derek is always very pleased to hear from people to whom he has spoken, whether it be during any of his television, radio or live on stage events, confirming that the information he has imparted to them has been of help, and more importantly, has been proven. This page will be continually updated from time to time and will contain some of the letters which Derek has received. For the sake of privacy, only first names and towns/cities will be quoted.

Have you got a question you've always wanted to ask Derek?

Well now's your chance!

Each month, Derek will be answering TEN questions submitted by visitors to the website! The first ten questions will appear in approx three weeks time!

Send your questions to:

questions@derekacorah.org

Please make sure your questions are of a Paranormal/Spiritual nature - personal questions will not be answered, and deleted from file!

Now - what are you waiting for? Get asking!

I can think of a few. I believe iin the paranormal to an extent, and am fascinated by spirituality... but Derek, I could do without you, mate. Sorry.

http://www.derekacorah.org/absenthealing01.html
With all that's going on with my sister, seeing this really got to me. If Derek believes he genuimnely has a gift and can help people, then fair enough... but some people are looking to him to play Jesus (to the lepers in their heads and various others, including their dying relatives). If he is just a complete fake, then having a section like this on his site is disgusting.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78

Another GENERAL point: religious people (of whatever faith - including myself) believe in universal forces of good and evil, represented in the form of a God or multiple deities... so there's such a thing as the Holy Spirit, and miracles, but no such thing as psychic power? Does not compute.

Charismatics do believe in the ability to have the HS give them knowledge about someone else or something that they couldn't possibly know otherwise.

But that's probably a whole other thread....
Old 05-24-2005, 03:59 PM   #14
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

Charismatics do believe in the ability to have the HS give them knowledge about someone else or something that they couldn't possibly know otherwise.

But that's probably a whole other thread....
Thanks for that - I appreciate it. It's good to learn more about this sort of thing.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Its a load of shit, many things happen to a person over the course of years and individuals can make decisions that match "predictions". Nobody can see into the future it is physically impossible.