Protests - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Protests

My only beef with the protest is that most of the people carrying signs have no clue what is going on in reality. If I see one more sign that says, "Let's end this war, vote for Kerry," I am going to lose my mind. I am sure a fair # are well versed on the issues, but a majority of the sign bearers are lost. They just think its cool to protest, they must have just seen Forrest Gump, who knows. And when I say "they", I mean the early-to-mid twenty somethings that I see walking. And can the young ladies who are screaming for an end to war, please, and I stress PLEASE shave your under arms. For God's sake, thats not a sight for anyone to see on a early Sunday afternoon.

Old 08-29-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:26 PM
I think they should have some kind of test on current political issues that everyone has to take before they are allwoed to vote

that would be interesting

not being informed hardly ever stops anyone from doing something nowadays

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-29-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
The Fly

It just kills me. An example, Hannity has Thursday on the Streets where he randomly goes up to people in New York. He asks whom they are voting for. Kerry is the dominat answer. He'll then ask why - In all of his years in Senate, what has impressed you most? The dominant answer is "doy, i dont know"

I just wish people would know why they are voting for someone. It's sad to see people vote with no reason behind it.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Refugee

Yeah, I mean look at how many people admire Bush. If they only knew the truth, or were well-versed on his track record in reality, they'd vote for Nader...or Kerry...I mean KERRY.. Who's Ralph Nader

As for the women with armpit hair: go to college and open your mind. It's natural...perhaps you fear reality? The reality of what women grow out of their skin? Ehh? It's amazing how little people know about human biology.

As for belief that everyone should pass a test to vote: You know that would exclude the majority of the southern vote, don't you? Wouldn't that mean the best candidate would win? Hmmm?
Old 08-29-2004, 04:54 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:26 PM
As a southerner (ahem) I would be very much against having people take a test to vote.....it's too reminiscant of the discrimation against blacks around here from 50 years ago. That's just not how American democracy should work. Like it or not, ill-informed people can vote too.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:26 PM
to what Dano said about armpit hair!

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Hm, you object to armpit hair? It's August, and some people don't want to wear sleeves. They don't have to be articulate about Kerry's voting record to know that he's not George Bush, and yes, there are some big time opinions and passions out here.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:25 PM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 11:26 AM
I have found that there are just as many ill-informed people in other places as there are in the south.

I get what you mean by it would be harder for Bush to win without the south, though.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:31 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

so kerry supporters have armpit hair and hairy legs, bush supporters have no teeth... i'd call it even. stereotypes rule!

the organizers claim 400,000 people took place in the march... the police claim 120,000. i tend to agree with the police, 'cause frankly, why would they lie? it's not like the nypd and bloomberg are on the best of terms right now, so why would they make the numbers lower to make the republicans look better? everyone saw it, what's to hide? i'm guessing that many of the people at the front of the march got down to union square, hopped on the subway and headed back to the start and did it all over again, giving a more inflated look to the march... but still... 120,000 is impressive, wether i agree with their message or not... and thankfully it all passed peacefully. let's keep it that way for the rest of the RNC and we can all go home happy, regardless of political affiliation
Old 08-29-2004, 06:45 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
thankfully it all passed peacefully. let's keep it that way for the rest of the RNC and we can all go home happy, regardless of political affiliation
i agree...when protests get violent they only hurt their own cause, whatever the cause may be.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:45 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by odowdpa
It just kills me. An example, Hannity has Thursday on the Streets where he randomly goes up to people in New York. He asks whom they are voting for. Kerry is the dominat answer. He'll then ask why - In all of his years in Senate, what has impressed you most? The dominant answer is "doy, i dont know"

I just wish people would know why they are voting for someone. It's sad to see people vote with no reason behind it.
I don't think that not knowing Kerry's history in the Senate equates to not knowing why they would vote for him.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #12
The Fly

I did go to an esteemed college and none of the girls I saw ever had armpit hair. Maybe that was the cool thing to do at your community college, Danospano, but I'm not gonna judge
Old 08-29-2004, 07:36 PM   #13
Acrobat

dano, I think it is ill-informed of you to make such statements about educated people and southerners. Not being very open-minded there are you? Anyway, I know smart, educated people who are voting either Dem or GOP. Also, that remark about southerners was way out of line IMHO. The demonization by both sides only creates a much harsher atmosphere. Let's try and be civil towards one another and all voters. In the end, aren't we all human beings who deserve to be treated with respect?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Ft. Worth Frog...you a TCU fan I assume? My sister and her husband went there.

It's nice to see another southerner around here.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:47 PM   #15
Acrobat

an alumni and fan. When did they go to school there?