Protests - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2004, 02:31 PM   #46
The Fly

Local Time: 03:10 PM
What'll be really interesting will be how much McCain boosts Bush tonight after Kerry lusted for him as his v.p.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:35 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:10 PM
that some feel such a test is necessary is a sad indication that some portion of your populace is being failed.

creating a test, in addition to being wholly unworkable and undemocratic, is an incorrect approach to your perceived problem.

democracy does not place specific performance standards on its subjects. to do so, as stated, would be heavy handed. when functioning properly, a democratic state consists of a well informed electorate who also understand the gravity of their democratic responsibility. in spite of the lack of a requirement, many will respond to an election call.

there are obviously many mitigating factors at play and by no means is the united states the only nation facing declining voter turnout or 'stupid' voters as they've been brandished here.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:36 PM   #48
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Lilac
There's also a difference in what they claim they stand for and what they do.
So a test like that is a nice idea but fails miserably in reality.

nbc:
Of course this test for a president was ment as a joke. Also it's a funny idea when you think about it (President has to pass a historytest , a business studiestest , an Englishtest and an Military Warfare test before he is allowed as a candidate.)
Old 08-30-2004, 05:30 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by odowdpa
I'm just glad I read that some Dem followers wouldn't just vote against Bush. I have a question to the people who just posted. If Dean did get the nomination, who would you vote for? Dean or Bush?
Dean. I could never vote for George Bush. I don't like this Constitutional thing about gay marriage. If John McCain were President, I think things would be very different. He'd be an absolute shoo-in for re-election.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:31 PM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac
Well there are plenty of 'lefties' who WILL vote for anything as long as it's a democrat. These people include some poor blacks who vote for who their 'black leaders' tell them to vote for, old people who love the dems because of JFK and FDR and will just ask 'which one's the democrat!' plus the poor hillbillies who can't half read who have a tradition of voting dem beause they believe they care about the poor, and then of course you have the homeless bought off with the cigarettes and the senile elderly folk who are drug in by the vanload to pull the lever for the dems even though some of them don't even know which end is up anymore. The lefties are very good at getting out the vote, sending out people to take any dem voting body to wherever they need to go. I've never heard of the republicans do that. Not saying every lefty is like this, and no offense to those smart lefties posting here, but it does happen a lot!
Wow, that's the most misinformed piece of shit information I've seen in here in a long time.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:40 PM   #51
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
that some feel such a test is necessary is a sad indication that some portion of your populace is being failed.

creating a test, in addition to being wholly unworkable and undemocratic, is an incorrect approach to your perceived problem.
the reason why I mentioned it the necessity of a test was meant a bit tongue in cheek
because I feel it is a bit odd complaining that protestors don't know what they're talking about when having voters who don't know why they're voting for whomever they vote for is in the end a far bigger problem

perhaps we should focus on getting campaigns to focus on actual political issues
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-30-2004, 05:46 PM   #52
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Is he stupid because he's stupid, or is he only stupid because you disagree with the things he says?
I love how this argument always comes up. How it always has to be about not agreeing with his policies. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that he hasn't even tackled the English language, has never had a successful business venture, or the fact that he doesn't even understand concepts (those that every president should) such as "sovereign state"? No it couldn't be any of these things...
Old 08-30-2004, 07:06 PM   #53
The Fly

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Wow, that's the most misinformed piece of shit information I've seen in here in a long time.
You really don't know what you're talking about.

Excuse me wise ass, I happen to know these people PERSONALLY. I am unfortunately related to several of these elderly and 'hillbilly' types I described. In addition, I spent 2 years working for a political survey poll. That's how I got 'informed.'

"Which one's the democrat" was the most common response from half senile elderly ladies. Some of them were asking me which one was the democrat. I could easily have lied to them and told them the name of the republican candidate and they never would have known the difference.

The only thing I didn't experience personally was the homeless bought off with cigarettes but that was on the news on more than one TV station.

Where do you get your info, some link on a website written by people slanting things to the point of view you choose to believe?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:30 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Excuse me wise ass, I happen to know these people PERSONALLY. I am unfortunately related to several of these elderly and 'hillbilly' types I described. In addition, I spent 2 years working for a political survey poll. That's how I got 'informed.'

The only thing I didn't experience personally was the homeless bought off with cigarettes but that was on the news on more than one TV station.

Where do you get your info, some link on a website written by people slanting things to the point of view you choose to believe?
First of all your point of view that it's only one side is ridiculous. I grew up in the south I know people of all walks of life that vote Republican based on nothing but the fact that it's "status quo" and it's Republican. They fall for the "if you question the president then you're a traitor" or the Republican vote is the only way to keep family values, they thought Iraq had something to do with 9/11. They have no clue when asked what Texas' economy was like when he left seat or his voting record.

And how soon we forget, that there were people caught on tape supposably giving out booze and cigarettes for Bush votes in Florida.

So before you speak in unwarranted generalizations try and take a look at your own party.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:30 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

wow. i didn't think it was humanly possible to fit that many lovely stereotypes into one post.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:31 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

i obviously didn't mean you, bvs.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:44 PM   #57
The Fly

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Sigh.

Just because it's not PC to say it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Of course not everyone is like that, but I stand by my statement that there are millions of uninformed voters out there, enough to decide any election.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:02 PM   #58
Refugee

Local Time: 08:10 PM
Yes, that is true; there are a lot of stupid people out there and they do stupid things, like decisions. Unfortunately, this applies to both those that choose to vote Republican and those that choose to vote Democrat.

As tongue in cheek as Salome's comment may have been, I always used to day dream, in my perfect world, that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote. Not only that, they should be locked up and get an extra tax - 'The Stupid Tax'.

Elitist? Most certainly. It could be the answer to world peace, though. I would like to quote Lilac, 'just because its not PC doesn't mean its not true' to back my controversial theory up.

Anyhow, whether you're Democrat or Republican, Stupid or Not, I would like to remind everyone to be polite with one another.

Please.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 08-30-2004, 08:06 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

my distaste for stereotypes has nothing to do with political correctness.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:10 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Sigh.

Just because it's not PC to say it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Of course not everyone is like that, but I stand by my statement that there are millions of uninformed voters out there, enough to decide any election.
PC has nothing to do with it. You can sigh all you want, but your view is extremely narrow. It happens on both sides. Yes you are right there are millions of uniformed voters but they are not all like you say old, hillbilly, poor, black or do anything for a pack "lefties".