Protests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been saying that all along, but the lefties just want Bush out, they don't care who it is. They'd vote for Bart Simpson over W if they could. It's actually kind of sad.

And yesterday's protesters are more likely to vote for Nader than they are Kerry. Most of the signs I saw are more Green party alligned than Democratic.

I'm voting for someone who's less likely to start preemptive wars. I also know that W has made a bed in Iraq that Kerry would have to lie in if he's elected.

We democrats are more careful about voting than you think.......we wouldn't just vote for bart simpson, which is why we chose Kerry over Dean in the primaries (no offense to the deaniacs out there). We really do want a man who would make a good president, in addition to wanting to dethrone bush.

Yeah, we lefties aren't careless about our votes. When it looked like Howard Dean was going to get the nomination, quite frankly I thought we were f:censored:d. No offense to any Dean supporters. I felt better about Kerry, and I still do. I'm not surprised that alot of the demonstrators in New York were Nader supporters rather than Kerry supporters. I personally know of some anti-war activists who are going to vote for Nader, so it's not like this is any kind of surprise.

Last edited:
ThatGuy said:
I'm voting for someone who's less likely to start preemptive wars. I also know that W has made a bed in Iraq that Kerry would have to lie in if he's elected.

Yes. Iraq is going to be a very tough situation no matter who's elected. I don't see those Sunni Wahhabist types calming down anytime soon. Now that a Shi'ite cleric, Sistani, has emerged as the most powerful man in Iraq, this is going to challenge Iraq's traditionally powerful Sunni minority. I can see Iraq becoming a Shi'ite state, however, I really can. The warriors put their guns down when Sistani told them to, but not Allawi. This is not a good sign. The Sunnis aren't likely to put down their guns for anything.

Well there are plenty of 'lefties' who WILL vote for anything as long as it's a democrat. These people include some poor blacks who vote for who their 'black leaders' tell them to vote for, old people who love the dems because of JFK and FDR and will just ask 'which one's the democrat!' plus the poor hillbillies who can't half read who have a tradition of voting dem beause they believe they care about the poor, and then of course you have the homeless bought off with the cigarettes and the senile elderly folk who are drug in by the vanload to pull the lever for the dems even though some of them don't even know which end is up anymore. The lefties are very good at getting out the vote, sending out people to take any dem voting body to wherever they need to go. I've never heard of the republicans do that. Not saying every lefty is like this, and no offense to those smart lefties posting here, but it does happen a lot!

I do believe everyone, regardless of demographics or party affliliation, should have to prove themselves at least minimally knowledgeable of the important issues and what each candidate stands for before being allowed to decide the fate of a nation.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

And there are plenty of right-wingers who will vote for anyone as long as it's a Republican.

If you want to get into dirty tricks pulled on election day there's plenty to go around on both sides.

I'm just glad I read that some Dem followers wouldn't just vote against Bush. I have a question to the people who just posted. If Dean did get the nomination, who would you vote for? Dean or Bush?

Lilac

I do believe everyone, regardless of demographics or party affliliation, should have to prove themselves at least minimally knowledgeable of the important issues and what each candidate stands for before being allowed to decide the fate of a nation.

Same standards for the President himself? If a person is to stupid it shouldn't be allowed to run a country?

Is he stupid because he's stupid, or is he only stupid because you disagree with the things he says?

Klaus said:
Same standards for the President himself? If a person is to stupid it shouldn't be allowed to run a country?

I think that is funny. We can suggest the President is not intelligent when he got elected and all we do is complain from our computers......

odowdpa said:
I'm just glad I read that some Dem followers wouldn't just vote against Bush. I have a question to the people who just posted. If Dean did get the nomination, who would you vote for? Dean or Bush?

I'd vote for Dean. Same way McCain supporters voted for Bush in 2000.

I see all these ideas bandied about regarding testing and wonder "Who will make tese tests?". What questions would be put on them? History questions -" Tell the significance of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and its continued importance? How many times has Poland been shafted by Russian and Germany? Throw in a few economics questions maybe, a few anatomy questions and of course some simple high school algebra:wink:. According to my observations as a teaching assistant, few people would be qualified to vote whether they were right or left leaning. I think it would just be smarter to leave things as they are.

No, I just mean a test to prove they are informed on the current issues and who stands for what. If you put high school algebra on it, I'm going down! But you don't need that to understand the issues, or to even be president.

that some feel such a test is necessary is a sad indication that some portion of your populace is being failed.

creating a test, in addition to being wholly unworkable and undemocratic, is an incorrect approach to your perceived problem.

democracy does not place specific performance standards on its subjects. to do so, as stated, would be heavy handed. when functioning properly, a democratic state consists of a well informed electorate who also understand the gravity of their democratic responsibility. in spite of the lack of a requirement, many will respond to an election call.

there are obviously many mitigating factors at play and by no means is the united states the only nation facing declining voter turnout or 'stupid' voters as they've been brandished here.

Lilac
There's also a difference in what they claim they stand for and what they do.
So a test like that is a nice idea but fails miserably in reality.

nbc:
Of course this test for a president was ment as a joke. Also it's a funny idea when you think about it (President has to pass a historytest , a business studiestest , an Englishtest and an Military Warfare test before he is allowed as a candidate.)

Last edited:
odowdpa said:

Dean. I could never vote for George Bush. I don't like this Constitutional thing about gay marriage. If John McCain were President, I think things would be very different. He'd be an absolute shoo-in for re-election.

Last edited:
Lilac said:
Well there are plenty of 'lefties' who WILL vote for anything as long as it's a democrat. These people include some poor blacks who vote for who their 'black leaders' tell them to vote for, old people who love the dems because of JFK and FDR and will just ask 'which one's the democrat!' plus the poor hillbillies who can't half read who have a tradition of voting dem beause they believe they care about the poor, and then of course you have the homeless bought off with the cigarettes and the senile elderly folk who are drug in by the vanload to pull the lever for the dems even though some of them don't even know which end is up anymore. The lefties are very good at getting out the vote, sending out people to take any dem voting body to wherever they need to go. I've never heard of the republicans do that. Not saying every lefty is like this, and no offense to those smart lefties posting here, but it does happen a lot!

Wow, that's the most misinformed piece of shit information I've seen in here in a long time.

kobayashi said:
that some feel such a test is necessary is a sad indication that some portion of your populace is being failed.

creating a test, in addition to being wholly unworkable and undemocratic, is an incorrect approach to your perceived problem.
the reason why I mentioned it the necessity of a test was meant a bit tongue in cheek
because I feel it is a bit odd complaining that protestors don't know what they're talking about when having voters who don't know why they're voting for whomever they vote for is in the end a far bigger problem

perhaps we should focus on getting campaigns to focus on actual political issues :hmm:

Lilac said:
Is he stupid because he's stupid, or is he only stupid because you disagree with the things he says?

I love how this argument always comes up. How it always has to be about not agreeing with his policies. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that he hasn't even tackled the English language, has never had a successful business venture, or the fact that he doesn't even understand concepts (those that every president should) such as "sovereign state"? No it couldn't be any of these things...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Wow, that's the most misinformed piece of shit information I've seen in here in a long time.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

Excuse me wise ass, I happen to know these people PERSONALLY. I am unfortunately related to several of these elderly and 'hillbilly' types I described. In addition, I spent 2 years working for a political survey poll. That's how I got 'informed.'

"Which one's the democrat" was the most common response from half senile elderly ladies. Some of them were asking me which one was the democrat. I could easily have lied to them and told them the name of the republican candidate and they never would have known the difference.

The only thing I didn't experience personally was the homeless bought off with cigarettes but that was on the news on more than one TV station.

Where do you get your info, some link on a website written by people slanting things to the point of view you choose to believe?

Last edited:
Lilac said:

Excuse me wise ass, I happen to know these people PERSONALLY. I am unfortunately related to several of these elderly and 'hillbilly' types I described. In addition, I spent 2 years working for a political survey poll. That's how I got 'informed.'

The only thing I didn't experience personally was the homeless bought off with cigarettes but that was on the news on more than one TV station.

Where do you get your info, some link on a website written by people slanting things to the point of view you choose to believe?

First of all your point of view that it's only one side is ridiculous. I grew up in the south I know people of all walks of life that vote Republican based on nothing but the fact that it's "status quo" and it's Republican. They fall for the "if you question the president then you're a traitor" or the Republican vote is the only way to keep family values, they thought Iraq had something to do with 9/11. They have no clue when asked what Texas' economy was like when he left seat or his voting record.

And how soon we forget, that there were people caught on tape supposably giving out booze and cigarettes for Bush votes in Florida.

So before you speak in unwarranted generalizations try and take a look at your own party.

Sigh.

Just because it's not PC to say it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Of course not everyone is like that, but I stand by my statement that there are millions of uninformed voters out there, enough to decide any election.

Yes, that is true; there are a lot of stupid people out there and they do stupid things, like decisions. Unfortunately, this applies to both those that choose to vote Republican and those that choose to vote Democrat.

As tongue in cheek as Salome's comment may have been, I always used to day dream, in my perfect world, that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote. Not only that, they should be locked up and get an extra tax - 'The Stupid Tax'.

Elitist? Most certainly. It could be the answer to world peace, though. I would like to quote Lilac, 'just because its not PC doesn't mean its not true' to back my controversial theory up.

Anyhow, whether you're Democrat or Republican, Stupid or Not, I would like to remind everyone to be polite with one another.

Please.

Ant.

Lilac said:
Sigh.

Just because it's not PC to say it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Of course not everyone is like that, but I stand by my statement that there are millions of uninformed voters out there, enough to decide any election.

PC has nothing to do with it. You can sigh all you want, but your view is extremely narrow. It happens on both sides. Yes you are right there are millions of uniformed voters but they are not all like you say old, hillbilly, poor, black or do anything for a pack "lefties".

Back
Top Bottom